Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

He can also get an additional $2.85 million in performance bonuses in addition to 10% signing bonus.

The signing bonus he gets would be 10% of the total money he can get. Every team interested will be offering him these terms.

I wonder if he'll be pushing for a handshake agreement on playing time and second contract terms (based on performance).

The signing bonus he gets would be 10% of the total money he can get. Every team interested will be offering him these terms.

I wonder if he'll be pushing for a handshake agreement on playing time and second contract terms (based on performance).

Right, but they aren't going to offer the full $2.85 million on the performance end.

The Sabres can structure those so they are impossible not to attain. 

Right, but they aren't going to offer the full $2.85 million on the performance end.

The Sabres can structure those so they are impossible not to attain.

I think Boston, Toronto and Buffalo will all offer the same - the absolute max. Those are the only relevant teams, in my opinion.

Another thing that might be worth noting is the Sabres have a prospect from the Buffalo area (West Seneca specifically) who played at Harvard with Vesey by the name of Sean Malone, does anyone know how close these guys were or line mates? As it might be another positive in trying to get Vesey to sign here. 

Another thing that might be worth noting is the Sabres have a prospect from the Buffalo area (West Seneca specifically) who played at Harvard with Vesey by the name of Sean Malone, does anyone know how close these guys were or line mates? As it might be another positive in trying to get Vesey to sign here. 

Vesey's center was Alex Kerfoot (NJD).  Malone 3rd line C.

It comes down to where. Any team can afford a max elc. If the fit is right he signs with that team. Anaheim, LA, Chicago SJ would welcome him with open arms. The kid can pick where, that's what the rules allow. My fingers are crossed its us, but no guarantee, now or in August. Sending a 3rd round pick for his rights is a strong message that we want him, but so does every other gm.

This is it right here. Given the restrictions that he is under, he literally can chose any team that he wants. How many players in the entire NHL could ever say that?

This is it right here. Given the restrictions that he is under, he literally Dan chose any team that he wants. How many players in the entire NHL could ever say that?

And if, after hanging out w/ Eichel & having his agent (& hopefully himself) in talks w/ TM &/or the Pegulas, he decides Buffalo is the right team for him (before hearing the other sales pitches) he could still say that HE chose the team he went to.

I like the move and am trying to focus on the positives:

Exclusive rights, Jack Eichel, need top 6 LW, deep pockets, short list, improving club.

Pierre Lebrun, Bob McKenzie and John Buccigross all seem to think he's signing. Lots of connections with those 3 reporters.

Let's go GMTM!!

I like the move and am trying to focus on the positives:

Exclusive rights, Jack Eichel, need top 6 LW, deep pockets, short list, improving club.

Pierre Lebrun, Bob McKenzie and John Buccigross all seem to think he's signing. Lots of connections with those 3 reporters.

Let's go GMTM!!

I won't discredit those guys but I've always got the feeling that everyon, including them, is just making suppositions based on the obvious.

I think Boston, Toronto and Buffalo will all offer the same - the absolute max. Those are the only relevant teams, in my opinion.

Yeah for obvious reasons Boston and Toronto. 

Does an American player really want to go to Toronto if he can choose any team?  I'd say most likely not considering how American players fight so hard to differentiate themselves from Canadian players.  The next obvious question is does not going there hurt his Dad to the point he would go there?  I would think his Dad would advise him not to worry about that.

Boston has a strong allure if you're from there - so it really comes down to does he see it as a bad fit?  They are in a situation where they either stay the course or start to overhaul.  He'd have to decide where he fits in that situation. 

Forget about having his rights and the connection with Eichel - Buffalo has to be one of the most attractive fits.  While he most likely would be a top 6 on a lot of teams - it would seem that he has the best chance to be more than that in Buffalo.

Interesting for sure.

Yeah for obvious reasons Boston and Toronto.

Does an American player really want to go to Toronto if he can choose any team? I'd say most likely not considering how American players fight so hard to differentiate themselves from Canadian players. The next obvious question is does not going there hurt his Dad to the point he would go there? I would think his Dad would advise him not to worry about that.

Boston has a strong allure if you're from there - so it really comes down to does he see it as a bad fit? They are in a situation where they either stay the course or start to overhaul. He'd have to decide where he fits in that situation.

Forget about having his rights and the connection with Eichel - Buffalo has to be one of the most attractive fits. While he most likely would be a top 6 on a lot of teams - it would seem that he has the best chance to be more than that in Buffalo.

Interesting for sure.

Good post.

Vesey=Tuttle

Perry Tuttle?

Don't know about Boston, his own dad advised him against joining the bruins, that is probably the reason of him doubting still.

If I was in his position and I could choose the team I want to play for, I'd go to my hometown team, But I guess Eichel as a good friend might lure him to us as well.

Don't know about Boston, his own dad advised him against joining the bruins, that is probably the reason of him doubting still.

If I was in his position and I could choose the team I want to play for, I'd go to my hometown team, But I guess Eichel as a good friend might lure him to us as well.

His dad said that to him? Hmm, I did not know that, interesting

As a few have pointed out above, it is interesting that the people in the know - including David Poile of all people - all figure he's coming here. There are so many subtle signs that this has been worked on through back channels for months.

The entire situation really smacks of O'Reilly, last year. I'm impressed with how Murray seems able to work with agents. And I'm optimistic.

Edited by dudacek

Any team wanting Vesey will pay that. The difference will be the opportunity offered. Vesey is being told he will be a top 6 player for the Sabres if he signs. He can play with his bud Jack and the team is sparing no expense to build a championship contender. Is Buffalo not exciting enough? Maybe, but serious pro athletes don't have time to worry about what clubs there are to hang in. And if you do have a couple days and want to party, hire a charter and fly an hour to NYC or Boston or wherever.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Let me preface this by saying I think Vesey signs here.

John Wawrow

Jimmy Vesey's agent tells AP that #Sabres are on his client's "shortlist." However ...

Vesey's agent says it would be "silly" for his client not to pursue free agency after what he went though in Nashville. ...

That said, Vesey's agent tells AP that he intends to meet with #Sabres at draft this weekend, and have talks leading up to Aug. 15.

IF it's true that Vesey is definitely headed to free agency on August 15, it would be rather annoying due to the uncertainty it creates, and it would seem giving up a 3rd for his rights was, in some ways, pointless due to:

That's good, I think?   

But what would these "talks" entail?   He can only get max ELC, nothing more, and that's what they would offer, and spot in top 6 they already know that.   Where else is there to discuss?   Will he get to play with Eichel?   Power Play time?  etc? bonuses?   There's not much left to discuss.

^ There isn't all that much about Buffalo as an option that Vesey and his agent wouldn't already know. If he's 100% headed to free agency no matter what, giving up the 3rd may in hindsight turn out to be a write-off. But in the end, I don't care about giving up a third as we had 4 of them. Even if Vesey goes to FA on August 15, if there was a slight chance getting his rights could have made a difference, I have no problem with it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.