Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I may not be typing the thoughts I have in my head for you to understand what I meant but I didn't mean that. Having said that what makes you think that Jimmy would be immature enough to drop every possible opportunity that is out there just to play on a team his dad is employed by. I don't think you are giving the Harvard graduate enough credit to make his own decision.

That's not the issue.  (And Toronto is improving, but still not the issue.)

I'm not saying I'm definitely right.  However, my lean towards the Sabres for him is he would have the opportunity to be more than just top 6 - which I agree it appears he's ready for.  Without breaking down each team you've mentioned (not qualified) but for example he can't be Panarin in Chicago because they have Panarin.  Not trying to be smart but I think he wants to be and thinks he can be a Panarin (second leading scorer and point producer).  I think his chances are better in Buffalo than those contenders to become that - then subsequently getting paid as such on the 2nd contract.  He's got to be thinking about those things.   I agree that going to UFA make sense for him.

No offense taken, just friendly banter.  But Chicago traded away Terouvainan ( along with the anchor Bickell) due to cap constraints.  Boom instant spot to step into and at a savings over T +Bickell.  Anaheim may lose Silvferberg in expansion, sign Vesey and you gain a protection spot for Silfverberg.  Just a few examples but he has good options with other teams.  

Something else about Vesey's Father talking to The Boston Globe reporter and saying he might be better off not playing in Boston. The reporter is Kevin Paul DuPont whose wife is from Buffalo. They happen to visit here a few times a year and he is a huge supporter of WNY.

Perhaps during their conversation what cities made the short list came up and KPD extolled the value of living here to his Dad.

That's not the issue.  (And Toronto is improving, but still not the issue.)

EXCEPT that the Leafs just hired his father last year.  It's not like he was a 20 yr employee or something.  Leafs hire Dad, kid goes South on drafting team, Dad pretty publicly lets the world know he's parts of the planning and strategizing, kid subsequently signs with Leafs?  It's not a big stretch to see some quid pro quo there.

It sounds to me like you guys have Toronto-Paranoia or better known as Torontoitis. I think this is in the bag and he signs here. Your making his dad and him to have this conspiracy to play for the Leafs. I don't believe that to be the case at all. I think something happened to tick him off on Nashville and he's going to play it to his advantage now. Smart play IMO.

It sounds to me like you guys have Toronto-Paranoia or better known as Torontoitis. I think this is in the bag and he signs here. Your making his dad and him to have this conspiracy to play for the Leafs. I don't believe that to be the case at all. I think something happened to tick him off on Nashville and he's going to play it to his advantage now. Smart play IMO.

Something happened, all right. He improved to the point of having top 10 pick in the draft talent vs. the third round pick he was when he was selected four years ago, had that confirmed by scouts, and decided to take advantage of league rules that allow four year college players to become free agents vs. signing with the team that drafts them. I doubt the Preds did anything to offend him, he just took advantage of rules tailor-made for a player in his position. 

GO SABRES!!!

I may not be typing the thoughts I have in my head for you to understand what I meant but I didn't mean that. Having said that what makes you think that Jimmy would be immature enough to drop every possible opportunity that is out there just to play on a team his dad is employed by. I don't think you are giving the Harvard graduate enough credit to make his own decision.

The same could be said for any other team talking up Vesey's ear; he should be grown up enough to make his own decision. But, it's still tampering. Hell, people are acting like a 23 year-old is some old curmudgeon set in his ways. This dude is still a kid who is going to absorb stuff people say to him. If I'm the Sabres, I wouldn't call the league as that could sour relationships, but I would be calling Toronto to remind them of the rules.

The same could be said for any other team talking up Vesey's ear; he should be grown up enough to make his own decision. But, it's still tampering. Hell, people are acting like a 23 year-old is some old curmudgeon set in his ways. This dude is still a kid who is going to absorb stuff people say to him. If I'm the Sabres, I wouldn't call the league as that could sour relationships, but I would be calling Toronto to remind them of the rules.

Does anybody know if the "interview period" applies to Vesey?   That's the week before July 1st where teams are free to talk to the pending UFAs, but not allowed to "negotiate".    Or can no other team even contact him or his agent until 8/15?    

Does anybody know if the "interview period" applies to Vesey?   That's the week before July 1st where teams are free to talk to the pending UFAs, but not allowed to "negotiate".    Or can no other team even contact him or his agent until 8/15?    

The Sabres have exclusive rights to him until 8/15. No other teams are allowed to contact him until then. 

Edited by BRAWNDO

Correct.  It just happens that his father works for another team.  I'd have the same concern if he worked for any other team besides Buffalo.  There is a clear conflict of interest between his role as an employee and his role as a dad.

WARNING: This post could be nonsense. I found it on hf, from a Bruins fan, so to take it as true would be relying on an insider source that none of us have ever actually read before. It's interesting though, so I'm sharing it here:

"A very credible source on the Bruins board posted that it's almost a lock Vesey is signing with the Sabres. His telling of the situation that led to this decision is that Jimmy Hayes has had a real tough time playing in his hometown, including an incident where he had to leave a restaurant the harassment from Bruins fans was so bad. The Hayes and Vesey families are close. Hayes has advised Vesey that the fans/media are brutal on hometown players and to go elsewhere. Remember that months ago Vesey's own father said he hoped Jimmy would sign somewhere other than Boston for the same reason."

here is the skinny on Vesey and it is a little bit strange. As of about two months ago he was about 100% locked to Boston. "That has changed dramatically. He was headed to Buffalo as of about 10 days ago from what I was told. A bit surprised that Buffalo actually traded a pick, but I guess they didn't want to take any chances. Yes he is very close with Eichel and that it a huge factor as to whay it is going to be Buffalo, but not a factor as to why it wont end up being Boston. Now comes the strange part.

Yes, Vesey is close with Eichel and yes he is very tight with Grezelyk, as they grew up together. Unfortunately he also grew up with the Hayes brothers. Jimmy and his family are very unhappy with the way the season went, and they feel that, correct or incorrectly that Jimmy has taken a lot of heat from the media pundits, (newspapers and more frequently Michael Felger). they are probably being a bit oversensitive, but this is how they feel. They are very unhappy with the whole situation in Boston, and have frequently voiced their feelings to the Vesey family. The Bruins feel as though the Hayes poisoned the Bruins to the Vesey family, and that the Vesey's were dramatically influenced by it all. Crazy, but this is what it is. Irregardless of what his agent says, he is now almost a lock to sign with Buffalo.

Enjoy the draft and the summer everyone.

From a legitimate Bruins source, bcbruins1, on the Hfboards (He's confirmed by the Moderator there too.)

WARNING: This post could be nonsense. I found it on hf, from a Bruins fan, so to take it as true would be relying on an insider source that none of us have ever actually read before. It's interesting though, so I'm sharing it here:

"A very credible source on the Bruins board posted that it's almost a lock Vesey is signing with the Sabres. His telling of the situation that led to this decision is that Jimmy Hayes has had a real tough time playing in his hometown, including an incident where he had to leave a restaurant the harassment from Bruins fans was so bad. The Hayes and Vesey families are close. Hayes has advised Vesey that the fans/media are brutal on hometown players and to go elsewhere. Remember that months ago Vesey's own father said he hoped Jimmy would sign somewhere other than Boston for the same reason."

Wow, we posted almost simultaniously on the same thing lol

No warning needed. I can confirm this rumor. So, in effect, it's no longer a rumor: Boston fans are . Is the ink dry yet?

Edited by kas23

I'm choosing to take this as fact because I want to.

Lol I'll drink to that.

I watched Zemgus walk through all of 716 to take a pee and the most any fans did was smile at him or wave. Buffalo fans seem to be good about harassing players for the most part. It's just not acceptable there.

I want this to get to August 15th just so all the Leafs and Bruins fans can start talking ###### just to watch Jimmy still sign with us.

Between the two groups I 've had it. Today was some douchebag radio guy in Boston was saying no player ever wants to go to Buffalo. They would rather go to Edmonton or Winnipeg. Hmm, we're good enough for the owner of the Bruins and his big time company though. Hmmm. Toronto, Boston. them both and then Boston again for the Pats and again for the Sox. Just them all. Release the hounds. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.