Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Having lived outside of Buffalo for so long I've come to know that the negative perception of Buffalo is very real and something that's going to be very difficult to overcome.  It's not just in talking to people in regard to sports either, many people are genuinely perplexed as to why anyone would chose to go to Buffalo if they have other options.  We all know Buffalo has made some changes and is turning things around in so many ways, but it's going to take more than 5 years for national opinions to be swayed.

I don't buy into this anymore.  I live in Charlotte NC (19 years) and there's enough people from Buffalo here that we're better understood.  Most that I know say "Why do all you people from Buffalo love your hometown so much?"  That question originates from Buffalo is crap but they know there's something about the place that drew the people so close.  They know the weather and economics aren't great - but they most assuredly know the city is loved by those born there.

Hockey is another matter.  Those in the circles know what Buffalo is about and they more importantly know what the Pegula's are doing.  The word is out, it's screaming and we're not yelling.  I see this as a nothing burger with respect to attracting hockey players.  Hockey players are unique athletes - they hang around each other more than most sports.  I wouldn't underestimate the importance to a player what that environment for them means.  I think it's possible that Vesey values that the best players on our team are also around his age.

Edited by 7+6=13

This is just the right guy for the Sabres.  It is a perfect fit.  I would love to see him with Eichel.  He showed immeasurable poise at Harvard, and like Tkachuk he works down deep and around the net.  he's just polished and everything you want.  I love it!

Simple question - do Vesey and Reinhart play on opposite wings, meaning one LW, one RW??

I would think teams like you mwhile ntion have a chance but a very small one for a couple reasons.  Vesey, I'd imagine wants to have a chance at being one of the main cogs of a team.  While those teams offer win now there's a group of veterans that would not allow him that opportunity - or at least for a while.  Buffalo is one of the teams in that perfect spot where they're clearly on the rise but there's still ice time to be had.

Second I think those teams - while always wanting to add young talent, are really looking for those veteran pieces because they need a player ready now to contribute and a vet would embrace the role.  Especially if they know he wants top 6 ice time.  They recognize that's not what they necessarily have to offer. 

But that is the point.  Those teams can offer him a top six ala Panarin,while reducing payroll.  He isnt a top 6 because buffalo, he is a top six talent.  The days of veteran pieces are over.  The Ladd deal in Chicago would turn even a curmudgeon like Coach Q to the lightside.  It is a young man's game and they are better prepared to make the jump earlier.  Some will need AHL seasoning, but Vesey is 23.  He is either ready now or this is all just a big circle jerk.  Will there be adjustment?  Sure, but he is either ready or he probably never will be.  So if he goes to SJ Pitt, TB he will play top 6 or middle 6 minutes and be part of the plan.  I am hopeful the stars align but it makes sense for him to go the distance to ufa.

Yup, Vesey is a LW and Reinhart is a center, er, I mean RW.

Nicely played.

I don't buy into this anymore.  I live in Charlotte NC (19 years) and there's enough people from Buffalo here that we're better understood.  Most that I know say "Why do all you people from Buffalo love your hometown so much?"  That question originates from Buffalo is crap but they know there's something about the place that drew the people so close.  They know the weather and economics aren't great - but they most assuredly know the city is loved by those born there.

Hockey is another matter.  Those in the circles know what Buffalo is about and they more importantly know what the Pegula's are doing.  The word is out, it's screaming and we're not yelling.  I see this as a nothing burger with respect to attracting hockey players.  Hockey players are unique athletes - they hang around each other more than most sports.  I wouldn't underestimate the importance to a player what that environment for them means.  I think it's possible that Vesey values that the best players on our team are also around his age.

I get the first paragraph and I generally agree.  But those are the people you know and come into regular contact with.  My wife has traveled to Buffalo with friends she met here and showed them around.  They love it.  I go to a Bills game every year with a bunch of guys I met here.  They love it and are anxious to go back every year.  These are not the people I speak of, who are a very tiny percentage of what makes up the national narrative on Buffalo.  It would be one thing if the national narrative was indifferent on Buffalo, but it's not, it's overwhelmingly negative.

I agree that hockey is different, but it's still going to take some time to turn it around.  The quickest way, despite all Pegula has done, is to start winning.

I'd make a charity wager that Vesey signs with any of the negative nancys

Why would Vesey want to play for the negative nancys?

GO SABRES!!!

This is a very good post, nice job.

Vesey is not your typical wide eyed 18 year old coming out of Juniors. He's a man, smart enough to have graduated from Harvard. It is going to take a 2 pronged approach to land him. One from the hockey side with DB, GMTM and Eichel. The other from the Pegula's to talk to him as to his future aspirations and what they can offer him to reach those goals.

What I remember reading was his annoyance with someone (I'm guessing from the Predators organization because they drafted him) was a question of did he want to be a hockey player or go to school. I think he is smart enough and now old and mature enough to be making decisions on what he wants and will use his dad and agent as reliable confidants and not decision makers. Giving up a 3rd round pick lets him know how much he's wanted here but my guess is his decision will rest on what is offered outside the rink rather than inside it.

This is important and I hadn't considered that aspect. Thanks for the insight. 

This is a very good post, nice job.

Vesey is not your typical wide eyed 18 year old coming out of Juniors. He's a man, smart enough to have graduated from Harvard. It is going to take a 2 pronged approach to land him. One from the hockey side with DB, GMTM and Eichel. The other from the Pegula's to talk to him as to his future aspirations and what they can offer him to reach those goals.

What I remember reading was his annoyance with someone (I'm guessing from the Predators organization because they drafted him) was a question of did he want to be a hockey player or go to school. I think he is smart enough and now old and mature enough to be making decisions on what he wants and will use his dad and agent as reliable confidants and not decision makers. Giving up a 3rd round pick lets him know how much he's wanted here but my guess is his decision will rest on what is offered outside the rink rather than inside it.

Serious question:  Can his dad even talk to him about this stuff right now, given his employment by Toronto?

Serious question:  Can his dad even talk to him about this stuff right now, given his employment by Toronto?

That is a GREAT question. 

Well, barrister, how about it? This lay person thinks that all other 29 NHL clubs and their representatives are precluded from doing so, regardless of familial ties.

GMTM needs to have Jack wear a wire to the next Vesey family meal he is invited to. "Excuse me, Mr. Vesey. Can you pass the bean chowder and lean closer to the clam dip while speaking? Thanks."

Wouldn't that be the same as Eichel talking to Vesey before the trade was made? Well, can assume they talked.

Nah, Eichel isn't a scout or anything like that.

That is a GREAT question. 

Well, barrister, how about it? This lay person thinks that all other 29 NHL clubs and their representatives are precluded from doing so, regardless of familial ties.

GMTM needs to have Jack wear a wire to the next Vesey family meal he is invited to. "Excuse me, Mr. Vesey. Can you pass the bean chowder and lean closer to the clam dip while speaking? Thanks."

My gut tells me that a scout for another team can't be consulting with Vesey on his future. But we need chz/Taro on this case, not me.

Edited by Eleven

No I don't think he should be.  Having said that, are the Sabres going to bring forward tampering charges on Jimmy's dad?  Not sure that'll help our cause in signing him.

Edited by Derrico

No I don't think he should be.  Having said that, are the Sabres going to bring forward tampering charges on Jimmy's dad?  Not sure that'll help our cause in signing him.

Well, they're not going to do it now, but maybe on August 16.

Depending on their relationship, I'm guessing that they talk all the time. Not always about hockey but he's asking his dad questions. My youngest will be starting his final year at school and is doing an internship at an engineering firm. The questions he may have asked or my advice to him back when he started school was completely different than the adult questions he's asking me now. I'm now dealing with an adult who happens to be my son. Again I assuming they're doing the same thing.

Again I'm guessing his dad has way more loyalty to his son than he has to the Leafs organization. I cannot imagine how in the world anyone can legitimately claim any contact between them would be tampering.

But that is the point.  Those teams can offer him a top six ala Panarin,while reducing payroll.  He isnt a top 6 because buffalo, he is a top six talent.  The days of veteran pieces are over.  The Ladd deal in Chicago would turn even a curmudgeon like Coach Q to the lightside.  It is a young man's game and they are better prepared to make the jump earlier.  Some will need AHL seasoning, but Vesey is 23.  He is either ready now or this is all just a big circle jerk.  Will there be adjustment?  Sure, but he is either ready or he probably never will be.  So if he goes to SJ Pitt, TB he will play top 6 or middle 6 minutes and be part of the plan.  I am hopeful the stars align but it makes sense for him to go the distance to ufa.

I'm not saying I'm definitely right.  However, my lean towards the Sabres for him is he would have the opportunity to be more than just top 6 - which I agree it appears he's ready for.  Without breaking down each team you've mentioned (not qualified) but for example he can't be Panarin in Chicago because they have Panarin.  Not trying to be smart but I think he wants to be and thinks he can be a Panarin (second leading scorer and point producer).  I think his chances are better in Buffalo than those contenders to become that - then subsequently getting paid as such on the 2nd contract.  He's got to be thinking about those things.   I agree that going to UFA make sense for him.

So maybe I'll have to figure out to get three front page ultimate insults from the Toronto newspapers for my avatar after we sign Vesey and Stamkos. :w00t:

Speaking of Avatars, pi2000 yours is causing me some discomfort at work!

So pi's avatar is comfortable at home?

I sensing some disturbing behavior.

Depending on their relationship, I'm guessing that they talk all the time. Not always about hockey but he's asking his dad questions. My youngest will be starting his final year at school and is doing an internship at an engineering firm. The questions he may have asked or my advice to him back when he started school was completely different than the adult questions he's asking me now. I'm now dealing with an adult who happens to be my son. Again I assuming they're doing the same thing.

Again I'm guessing his dad has way more loyalty to his son than he has to the Leafs organization. I cannot imagine how in the world anyone can legitimately claim any contact between them would be tampering.

If he's encouraging his son to wait it out and sign with Toronto on August 15, you can't imagine that anyone could claim that would be tampering?

There are all sorts of conversations I'm not allowed to have with my parents.  If I run into someone they know in my office, I don't even tell them that I *saw* the person unless the person says something like "say hi to your dad."

If I'm Toronto management, I'm doing the following to CMA:

1.  Instructing Mr. Vesey (in writing) not to talk with his son at all about his choice of teams and to leave that to his agents.

2.  Sending out an organization-wide memorandum that no one in the organization is to discuss Jimmy w/ Mr. Vesey.

If he's encouraging his son to wait it out and sign with Toronto on August 15, you can't imagine that anyone could claim that would be tampering?

There are all sorts of conversations I'm not allowed to have with my parents.  If I run into someone they know in my office, I don't even tell them that I *saw* the person unless the person says something like "say hi to your dad."

If I'm Toronto management, I'm doing the following to CMA:

1.  Instructing Mr. Vesey (in writing) not to talk with his son at all about his choice of teams and to leave that to his agents.

2.  Sending out an organization-wide memorandum that no one in the organization is to discuss Jimmy w/ Mr. Vesey.

I may not be typing the thoughts I have in my head for you to understand what I meant but I didn't mean that. Having said that what makes you think that Jimmy would be immature enough to drop every possible opportunity that is out there just to play on a team his dad is employed by. I don't think you are giving the Harvard graduate enough credit to make his own decision.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.