Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I do think GMTM will give him the old car dealer spiel that the Sabres offer is only on the table for a short time. Too many decisions have to be made to wait on Vesey. Decide by mid-July or the Sabres move on.

I would do the opposite, if it gets to be July 15th and he has not signed because he fully intends to go to FA , I would give him permission to speak to other teams at that time. 

Your buddy: I'm going to ask that girl out.

You: Don't, I heard she told all her friends she doesn't want a boyfriend right now.

Your buddy: So, we don't have to get married, I just want to take her out and talk.

You: So what if she does go out with you. You'll waste your money on dinner with a girl that doesn't want a boyfriend.

Your buddy: Dinner will be worth it to see if I can convince her that sometimes when you're not looking for a boyfriend - that's when you find a nice one.

You: If she says no - you blew it.

Your buddy: At least I had the balls to ask you big pu$$.

Props for the balls to ask, but no props for taking her to dinner instead of drinks only. Women get dinner when they've earned it.

Between the two groups I 've had it. Today was some douchebag radio guy in Boston was saying no player ever wants to go to Buffalo. They would rather go to Edmonton or Winnipeg. Hmm, we're good enough for the owner of the Bruins and his big time company though. Hmmm. Toronto, Boston. ###### them both and then Boston again for the Pats and again for the Sox. Just ###### them all. Release the hounds.

Someone needed to remind him the person who owns the Bruins was born and raised and still lives here...so much for that guys take...

NHL teams who draft NCAA players have until August 15 of the player's senior year to sign him.

And we have his rights. So why can't we get that done before July 1?

Unless I misunderstood.

I think Aud is asking why Florida can sign Yandle.after acquiring his rights but we have to wait on signing Vesey.

Right.

I dunno. Not a big issue. GM TM was pretty clear that he's obliged to wait on Vesey until 7/1.

At least I thought that's what he said.

Unless I misunderstood.

Right.

I dunno. Not a big issue. GM TM was pretty clear that he's obliged to wait on Vesey until 7/1.

No expert, but I think it's similar to how you can't sign a player to a new contract until 7/1 in the last year of their contract.

I would do the opposite, if it gets to be July 15th and he has not signed because he fully intends to go to FA , I would give him permission to speak to other teams at that time.

That's a very reasonable approach. Let him speak to teams and then pick 3 teams he would be happy with. Once you get that list, you play each team against each other to get the best trade. Each team will not want to wait until Aug 15th for fear of being traded to another team he'll sign with. Win-win situation for everyone.

Unless I misunderstood.

Right.

I don't understand it myself, to be honest. When Nashville had his rights they were able to sign him at any time, we should be too, now that we have his rights, no?

I don't understand it myself, to be honest. When Nashville had his rights they were able to sign him at any time, we should be too, now that we have his rights, no?

Right. I heard it, but now I don't get it.

It was reported, for sure:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-gm-tim-murray-acquiring-jimmy-veseys-rights/

Murray said he hasn’t talked to Eichel about Vesey this summer, meaning he could have spoken to him earlier this week. The Sabres own Vesey’s rights until Aug. 15. They can’t sign him until July 1.

Right. I heard it, but now I don't get it.

It was reported, for sure:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-gm-tim-murray-acquiring-jimmy-veseys-rights/

Murray said he hasn’t talked to Eichel about Vesey this summer, meaning he could have spoken to him earlier this week. The Sabres own Vesey’s rights until Aug. 15. They can’t sign him until July 1.

Sounds like they can talk to him whenever they like or whenever he will - but if an agreement is made can't put ink to paper until at least July 1.

Cuz Stone Cold said so?

+1

Because 5PM on June 1 is the last a team can sign an unsigned draft choice in that league year.

(No data on the why of that why.)

Ok, so for non college players, after having their rights for 2 seasons after being drafted, after June 1 the player would then be a free agent. 

It's just odd for college players, because there is that extra Aug 15 date, that allows the signing period to open up again in the next league year, July 1, until aug 15. 

Weird. 

+1

Ok, so for non college players, after having their rights for 2 seasons after being drafted, after June 1 the player would then be a free agent. 

It's just odd for college players, because there is that extra Aug 15 date, that allows the signing period to open up again in the next league year, July 1, until aug 15. 

Weird.

Not really. It's more like they aren't available to anyone - similar to a vet that hasn't signed by December. (Too tired right now to recall the details on that.) If they don't get redrafted, then they'll be FAs on July 1.

But those juniors guys that do have their rights held by someone become signable on July 1 just like the college guys. It's just the graduating college seniors (whether they themselves graduate or not) become true FA's on August 15 rather than July 1 like most everybody else.

The reason for the June 1 deadline is probably to give teams time to see who's going back into the draft and it's easier to have a single deadline for all of them rather than multiple deadlines for multiple cases (1st year, 2nd year, 2nd year college dropouts, 2nd year college enrollees, 3rd year, etc.)

And August 15 seems to make sense for seniors, so they can focus on graduating if they so choose rather than worrying about negotiating a contract & bailing on their last 2 months of school & having an NHL team harrassing them at the end of their school year. (Though there certainly are several guys that bail on the end of college to sign,)

Not really. It's more like they aren't available to anyone - similar to a vet that hasn't signed by December. (Too tired right now to recall the details on that.) If they don't get redrafted, then they'll be FAs on July 1.

But those juniors guys that do have their rights held by someone become signable on July 1 just like the college guys. It's just the graduating college seniors (whether they themselves graduate or not) become true FA's on August 15 rather than July 1 like most everybody else.

The reason for the June 1 deadline is probably to give teams time to see who's going back into the draft and it's easier to have a single deadline for all of them rather than multiple deadlines for multiple cases (1st year, 2nd year, 2nd year college dropouts, 2nd year college enrollees, 3rd year, etc.)

And August 15 seems to make sense for seniors, so they can focus on graduating if they so choose rather than worrying about negotiating a contract & bailing on their last 2 months of school & having an NHL team harrassing them at the end of their school year. (Though there certainly are several guys that bail on the end of college to sign,)

Thanks!

So even if Nashville had Vesey still, even THEY couldn't sign him until July 1, at this point?

So it's similar for junior guys and college guys, except there is an extra exclusivity window for the drafting teams with regard to college players, from July 1-August 15.

You are a wealth of knowledge, Taro. You've been sorted into Ravenclaw.

So even if Nashville had Vesey still, even THEY couldn't sign him until July 1, at this point?

So it's similar for junior guys and college guys, except there is an extra exclusivity window for the drafting teams with regard to graduating college players, from July 1-August 15.

Correct & correct.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.