Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

According to Murray the Sabres can't sign Vesey until July 1 at the earliest, which I was unaware of. They have time to work this, but I think Murray will proceed as if he's not getting Vesey and still try to grab another winger somehow.

Huh? Why not? They have his rights, he's not a pending UFA come July 1.

Huh? Why not? They have his rights, he's not a pending UFA come July 1.

I honestly don't know, saw it on twitter, I'll see if I can locate it again.

Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR  19m

Murray says the Sabres can't sign Vesey until after July 1 anyway. Figures this to be a process.

Seems to just be the rules.

Edited by sabills

We don't have to rehash the role of the city in these things, or what appeals to young, rich professional male athletes. But I don't think Jimmy's comment about "the city, of course" being among the things he's looking for bodes well for Buffalo.

I hate it. It doesn't make a lot of sense. You'll have the money to live in the nicest house in the nicest neighborhood and go to the best restaurants and what have you. It's hockey season. How much free time does an NHL player have, anyway? Then in the offseason you can certainly afford to have a second home wherever you damn well please. But it is what it is.

I don't disagree with any of that, really. But let's wait and see what he thinks of Buffalo. Maybe his criteria are not ... standard-issue.

Close, how about "Welcome to the Terry-Dome"

4-1-6 is a joke?

way, way better, well done!

what's the 4-1-6?

Interesting tid bit:

Jeremy K. Gover ‏@govertime 42m42 minutes ago
"The driving force was Jack Eichel. They share an agent & they play summer hockey together"
- Poile on Vesey trade (via @JaredStillman Show)

7/1 for signing Vesey is correct - once the deadline hit (trade deadline, I think), you have to wait until 7/1

According to Murray the Sabres can't sign Vesey until July 1 at the earliest, which I was unaware of. They have time to work this, but I think Murray will proceed as if he's not getting Vesey and still try to grab another winger somehow. 

That's a bummer. Hopefully, if the potential signing is affecting draft strategy, for both trades and picks, he is able to get a good idea from Vesey somehow, whether he is going to sign. He can't sign until July 1, but Murray can still talk to him and come to an agreement in principle before July 1, right?

Edited by Thorny

That's a bummer. Hopefully, if the potential signing is affecting draft strategy, for both trades and picks, he is able to get a good idea from Vesey somehow, whether he is going to sign. He can't sign until July 1, but Murray can still talk to him and come to an agreement in principle before July 1, right?

Yes, but it's Vesey.

Interesting tid bit:

Jeremy K. Gover ‏@govertime 42m42 minutes ago

"The driving force was Jack Eichel. They share an agent & they play summer hockey together"

- Poile on Vesey trade (via @JaredStillman Show)

7/1 for signing Vesey is correct - once the deadline hit (trade deadline, I think), you have to wait until 7/1

Yeah, this tells me it's over. Edited by sodbuster

As in, can't really trust him until the ink is dry. Poile allegedly relied on Vesey at the trade deadline and regretted it; the Sabres can't count on anything going into the draft.

440.gif

I think I heard something like that on the radio this morning. Sounded like sour grapes to me. I can well imagine how the parties came away from those communications with differing understandings on where things stood, where they were headed.

440.gif

I think I heard something like that on the radio this morning. Sounded like sour grapes to me. I can well imagine how the parties came away from those communications with differing understandings on where things stood, where they were headed.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2016/03/29/predators-jimmy-vesey-free-agency-david-poile-nhl/82368660/

Sounds like a dick to me. He better grow some man balls and realize that just playing in the NHL is an opportunity relatively few get. Makes you sympathetic to guys who just want a huge payday, this guys a whole different beast. And I hate young hockey players' dads.

Two sides to the story, I trust.

Yes, I'm sure there are.  I've read elsewhere that he was so noncommittal with respect to Nashville that Poile would have been foolish to rely on him.

In any event, the Sabres can't change their draft plans based on Vesey's "presence," or whatever we want to call it.

Yes, I'm sure there are.  I've read elsewhere that he was so noncommittal with respect to Nashville that Poile would have been foolish to rely on him.

In any event, the Sabres can't change their draft plans based on Vesey's "presence," or whatever we want to call it.

Vesey impo will not have an impact on the team's draft. Murray doesn't know who he will need next year or in 2-4 years even if Vesey signs. Draft BPA and go home happy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.