Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

After an evening of mulling it over, here's where I end up on this. Its no guarantee he signs here. If it was, Murray wouldn't have spent the pick. I also highly doubt he would have spent the pick if he knew that Vesey was going to UFA no matter what. He's smart and connected, I trust him on this stuff. Even if he doesn't sign before UFA, you give yourself an extra 2 months-ish to convince him its the right move. He gets to meet the Pegulas, and Dan Bylsma, and see the facilities. He can come to development camp (obviously he might not, but he CAN anyways). He can see the city. Eichel doesn't have to give him a nudge and a wink everytime he mentions playing here.

Buffalo's 3rd round picks from 2005-2011 (Giving a 5 year leeway to avoid speculative projections):

2005 - Marc-Andre Gragnani - D -74 GP

2007 - Corey Tropp - RW - 148 GP

2008 - Corey Fienhage - D - 0 GP

2009 - Brayden McNabb - D - 114 GP

2010 - Jerome Gauthier-Leduc - D - 0 GP

2010 - Kevin Sundher - C - 0 GP

2010 - Matt Mackenzie - D - 0GP

2011 - Daniel Catenacci - C - 0GP

There is no one on that list I wouldn't trade straight up for Vesey at the height of their value. McNabb comes the closest. Of course, Vesey himself was a 3rd round pick, but I'm just giving context.

If it works, its a coup, if not then I won't lose any sleep over it. This is absolutely the type of risk you buy yourself when you accumulate the amount of picks the Sabres have over the last 5 or so years.

Good post.

Risk? We gave up a 15 per cent opportunity to draft Corey Tropp.

You dream of getting a Jimmy Vesey level prospect with a third-rounder.

What seems to be overlooked here is how Tim Murray just bought himself some time.

He thinks he can sign him, obviously. He has some inside indication of that, almost certainly.

But he can't afford to wait around until August to find out for sure.

By that time Stamkos has already been signed and Nash has already been traded.

Vesey signs, all of a sudden it's a lot easier to let go of Tyler Ennis or Zemgus Girgensons in a trade.

All of a sudden you don't need to pay a premium for Jordan Eberle, or to rush Justin Bailey into the lineup.

All of sudden you feel a lot more comfortable drafting Chychrun over Nylander.

A good GM identifies the pieces he wants, he lays the groundwork and then goes out and gets them.

And if he whiffs, he tries again. Because champions aren't built without pushing the envelope.

The Darcy Regiers of the NHL sit on their hands and wait for value to pop lose in the bargain bin.

They win trades and collect assets while winners build teams.

Thank god we have a real GM.

It was never "but Buffalo" it was about having people in charge who expected nothing better.

Oh yeah baby. Now I'm really getting psyched for some GMTM hot stove peak offseason fireworks.

If Murray was so confident he could sign Vesey, then why didn't he just wait until Aug 15?

If nothing else, depending on who you believe, Vesey may have already changed his mind once in the span of a week...really want to give him two months to possibly change it? Make no mistake, some of Murray's plans depend on whether Vesey signs--even if there's a low likelihood, passing up other moves because you think Vesey is in the bag only to have him go elsewhere in August would be disastrous.

TrueBlueGED, on 20 Jun 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Make no mistake, some of Murray's plans depend on whether Vesey signs--even if there's a low likelihood, passing up other moves because you think Vesey is in the bag only to have him go elsewhere in August would be disastrous.

This.  There's really no reason to say anymore.  If he can get Vesey to sign, that sets the tone for the rest of off-season; the Draft, the UFA Turkey shoot, pending UFAs and RFAs, trades.  Can't imagine it being more important and completely worth one of four (1 of 4) third round picks to have a solid map goin' fo-wawd.

How do you pronounce this fellow's name? And didn't we lose one of our four 3rd round picks with the Bylsma signing? So don't we only have 2 left?

I've been saying Veh-see but apparently its Vee-see (or VC). At least thats how the WGR guys were saying it today.

post-1458-0-91088600-1466478068.jpg

outstanding

Not sure I agree. I mean, the Sausagefest joke is just so obvious, you know?

Fine.... Okay, I giggled.

If Vesey signs here, how long does it take Toronto to fire his father? After all, summer is a great time to "overhaul the scouting department".

That's okay, his son will give him an allowance out of his Sabres salary.

2011 - Daniel Catenacci - C - 0GP

He played in 11 NHL games last year. Just sayin'.

Edited by Robin Egg

The link didn't work for me, but probably a waste of time to read. It's Boston. Nuff' said. Countless sources said the Sabres traded a 3rd round pick. For the fun of it, I'll say the only way Murray would give up a 2nd and a 4th for Vesey is if he knew it was a lock. Have high hopes Vesey signs w/ Buffalo. His father did say as far as he knew his son has not changed his plans to wait until August 15th to enter free agency. That's two people saying that now. Vesey's Dad and his agent. Makes one wonder....  :unsure:

Edited by GoPre

I'm hoping Murray can get this deal done. It definetly got more interesting since he plays with Jack and they train together. It's really not much risk in losing one of the thirds when you still have 3 left. If Vesey signs before the draft which I hope happens that might alter the Sabres #8 pick unless Murray is still looking to move up. I could see Ennis, Pysyk and Girgs plus the #8 all involved in a deal.

He basically paid a third to ensure he makes the right decision at 8, that's fine with most Sabres fans. 

- From a member on HF Boards

I agree w/ this. Murray we'll know by Friday what direction he needs to go. Quite sure he has a "dry erase board" showing different routes the Sabres can take. Murray will now know before August 15th if Vesey wants to play in Buffalo. Most importantly he'll know before the draft. 

Edited by GoPre

Today, the winner is Nashville because they literally got a 3rd round pick for nothing. Vesey wasn't going to sign for them. Good move by Poile.

Tim Murray is gambling here. Maybe he figures a 3rd rounder is worth talking to Vesey before anyone else. He gains a few weeks to convince him otherwise why didn't he wait until Vesey was a free agent and sign him for NOTHING!

If Vesey signs with Buffalo (which is an unknown) then the trade makes sense, otherwise Murray blew it.

I'm hoping he signs, but gambling is risky especially when Vesey has said repeatedly he wants to test free agency and see what is out there. Why didn't Murray just wait?

where's the gamble and risk? One of our (4) 3rd round picks? C'mon

where's the gamble and risk? One of our (4) 3rd round picks? C'mon

Agreed and he gets 8 weeks to exclusively negotiate. Seriously, trading one third round pick outta 4, this isnt football where a third rounder can step in this year. Edited by North Buffalo

The idea that Murray overpaid if he doesn't sign the guy is strange to me.

As ink noted: You can't possibly sign all the players you might take with all of these picks. So you have surplus assets. Irrespective of how this turns out, this was a good use of a surplus asset.

In fact, we might infer that the reason the rights came here is precisely because the Sabres were offering a 3rd rather than a 5th or whatever.

I love when every other fan base is bashing the chances that Vesey signs in Buffalo, because well, it's Buffalo.  He's going to go to a winning environment.  Which is a load of b###s##t.  If you ask me, if there wasn't a legitimate shot, we'd not be trading for him. 

See previous discussion. Already posted and as already stated Vesey can only sign an entry level contract. Interesting to see but worth gamble to have 6 weeks plus to have Jack work openly on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.