Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

The new GM will also have to kiss McDermott's wrestling ring (since he doesn't have any for football). I give Pegula a hard time for his Pittsburgh fetish but at least they've won. Now we're trying to emulate a team that's never even won anything. This should end well.

And it's Beane.  Astonishing that the Bills' GM search is complete before the Sabres'.    And yeah, it's because Pens are still in a series but.....  amazing and I want to be peevish about it.  So I will be.  

The new GM will also have to kiss McDermott's wrestling ring (since he doesn't have any for football). I give Pegula a hard time for his Pittsburgh fetish but at least they've won. Now we're trying to emulate a team that's never even won anything. This should end well.

Yup - we have a novice HC and novice GM - from an organization that I don't find all that impressive and has never won the big dance, and now are the highest ranking management of a team in disarray that could use a seasoned, competent football czar in charge,  or at least a seasoned GM or seasoned HC,  but instead has on the job training as a core value.  

Good things ahead, no doubt, :rolleyes:  

And it's Beane.  Astonishing that the Bills' GM search is complete before the Sabres'.    And yeah, it's because Pens are still in a series but.....  amazing and I want to be peevish about it.  So I will be.  

Yup - we have a novice HC and novice GM - from an organization that I don't find all that impressive and has never won the big dance, and now are the highest ranking management of a team in disarray that could use a seasoned, competent football czar in charge,  or at least a seasoned GM or seasoned HC,  but instead has on the job training as a core value.  

Good things ahead, no doubt, :rolleyes:

The Sabres GM was chosen before Murray was fired. It just hasn't been made official, yet.

As for Beane and McDermott, they are a good combination. The Bills will improve.

The Sabres GM was chosen before Murray was fired. It just hasn't been made official, yet.

As for Beane and McDermott, they are a good combination. The Bills will improve.

Now he has to set up a scouting staff from scratch though.

Looking forward to Schopp dissecting whether Beane is "smart" and "gets it." Ya know, the right way to manage a sports team. By abacus or something. The name is close enough to Billy Beane that Schopp probably had a wet dream last night.

I'm listening to Beane's press conference and my only thought is that this guy sounds like Kenny ###### Powers.

It's amazing what a competent sounding press conference can do for morale. Just answering questions professionally and sounding like he knows what the is going on has me just a little bit excited about the Bills next year.

Just a little.

Peter King has an interview with McDermott and Beane today. Here's something McDermott said:

McDermott: I just was reminded of something. I knew after our first interview here it was going to take some effort to convince him to leave Carolina—he’s lived there his whole life, and his wife’s from there. I took a picture of a book that I am currently reading. It’s called “Chase the Lion,” and the subtitle is, “If Your Dream Doesn’t Scare You, It’s Too Small.” And I took a picture of it and I sent it to Brandon, and that was kind of my recruiting approach to convince him that this is a chance for him and his career and what he and his family have sacrificed over the years.

The publisher's promo description of the book:

Are you dreaming big enough? In this compelling manifesto featuring stories from Scripture and real life, Batterson challenges you to follow God's leading, act boldly on your audacious goals, and bravely plan for what comes after accomplishment. Inspired by the story in Second Samuel of Benaiah, who became King David's bodyguard and the leader of Israel's army, Chase the Lion will inspire you to see your problems as opportunities and seize the moment, showing God's power. 

Peter King has an interview with McDermott and Beane today. Here's something McDermott said:

McDermott: I just was reminded of something. I knew after our first interview here it was going to take some effort to convince him to leave Carolina—he’s lived there his whole life, and his wife’s from there. I took a picture of a book that I am currently reading. It’s called “Chase the Lion,” and the subtitle is, “If Your Dream Doesn’t Scare You, It’s Too Small.” And I took a picture of it and I sent it to Brandon, and that was kind of my recruiting approach to convince him that this is a chance for him and his career and what he and his family have sacrificed over the years.

The publisher's promo description of the book:

Are you dreaming big enough? In this compelling manifesto featuring stories from Scripture and real life, Batterson challenges you to follow God's leading, act boldly on your audacious goals, and bravely plan for what comes after accomplishment. Inspired by the story in Second Samuel of Benaiah, who became King David's bodyguard and the leader of Israel's army, Chase the Lion will inspire you to see your problems as opportunities and seize the moment, showing God's power. 

Book sounds kind of interesting.

Book sounds kind of interesting.

Self-help books in general strike me as uninteresting.

Self-help books that appear clothed in the sensibilities of modern megachurch Christianity strike me as even more uninteresting.

But. And yet. I'm becoming more open to the idea that I am missing the boat on what a guy like Batterson is doing with faith in the modern world. OTOH, there's just so much noise associated with the megachurch movement that I find disagreeable and, yes, uninteresting.

It's perfectly reasonable to be disinterested in a person's religion, or in religion generally, but there's a slippery slope -- well illustrated in a number of threads on this board -- between disinterest and antipathy.