Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

I take Tim Graham scoops with a healthy grain of salt after his "power take" in unabashed support of Brandon. Anyway, here's what Brandon wants people to think (maybe it's true):

"The Pegulas still have final say, but they're impressed with McDermott's long-term vision and will stay out of his way if he doesn't take too long to validate their complete trust"

I take Tim Graham scoops with a healthy grain of salt after his "power take" in unabashed support of Brandon. Anyway, here's what Brandon wants people to think (maybe it's true):

"The Pegulas still have final say, but they're impressed with McDermott's long-term vision and will stay out of his way if he doesn't take too long to validate their complete trust"

So he'll be gone w/in 3 years?  The carousel continues....

I have no idea how Mike Lombardi is perceived in the foobaw world, but his take on what is happening with the Bills is a very interesting and apparently credible read:

https://theringer.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-fired-sean-mcdermott-d87e027bae86-d87e027bae86

And that gives very good insight on what is going on with the Sabres and how they will be expected to operate under the new GM.

The difference of course, is that it is the GM who sets the tone, not the head coach.

Whoever at TBN decided to make everyone come up with regular "power take" columns is the worst. I detest whoever it is. The last thing in the world modern sports needs is more hot takes, and TBN decides to institutionalize them? I hate the world.

It gives Amy Moritz the chance to reach the front page more often, though, and I really like her stuff.

I have no idea how Mike Lombardi is perceived in the foobaw world, but his take on what is happening with the Bills is a very interesting and apparently credible read:

https://theringer.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-fired-sean-mcdermott-d87e027bae86-d87e027bae86

Nice read,  thanks. Hey PA, did you see this part? Might want to put a tarp down before your head explodes. :) (I kid, I kid)

When Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula first met McDermott, it was love at first sight. They instantly knew he was their next head coach. Whaley might have been involved in the process, but when it comes to hiring a coach, the owner normally makes the call. And in this case, this was all the Pegulas.

Edited by MattPie

Whoever at TBN decided to make everyone come up with regular "power take" columns is the worst. I detest whoever it is. The last thing in the world modern sports needs is more hot takes, and TBN decides to institutionalize them? I hate the world.

I agree. So am I supposed to feel weak and succumb to the 'Power Takes' from the Buffalo News?

Absolutely horrendous

Nice read,  thanks. Hey PA, did you see this part? Might want to put a tarp down before your head explodes. :) (I kid, I kid)

While that may be true (I'd love to see a breakdown over time) the GM can usually control that by who he decides to even bring in for an interview. They can't hire someone the GM dislikes if they never get invited to come in and meet the owners in the first place.

Getting a bit away from the new GM talk, I was scanning the Bills roster and have come to the conclusion that - on paper at least - this might be the best offense the team has had since the early 90's. If vets like McCoy, Watkins, and Clay can stay healthy and new guys like Jonathan Williams, Zay Jones, and Dion Dawkins perform as expected, this could be a legitimate top 5 NFL offense. And such a feat would be all the more impressive without a Hall of Fame caliber QB. What's most notable is the quality of the offensive line. It took nearly 25 years, but the franchise finally addressed it (a late 1st rounder, three 2nd rounders, and three 3rd rounders among the top 8).

Getting a bit away from the new GM talk, I was scanning the Bills roster and have come to the conclusion that - on paper at least - this might be the best offense the team has had since the early 90's. If vets like McCoy, Watkins, and Clay can stay healthy and new guys like Jonathan Williams, Zay Jones, and Dion Dawkins perform as expected, this could be a legitimate top 5 NFL offense. And such a feat would be all the more impressive without a Hall of Fame caliber QB. What's most notable is the quality of the offensive line. It took nearly 25 years, but the franchise finally addressed it (a late 1st rounder, three 2nd rounders, and three 3rd rounders among the top 8).

I really don't agree with this assessment.  Top 5?  No way.  The team lost every meaningful WR it had outside of Watkins, who was either out or playing injured the entire year.  McCoy has a ton of wear on his body.  Clay has been a non-factor in the vast majority of games.  The offensive line has been average at best (Tyrod was the #1 most sacked QB last season).

I really don't agree with this assessment.  Top 5?  No way.  The team lost every meaningful WR it had outside of Watkins, who was either out or playing injured the entire year.  McCoy has a ton of wear on his body.  Clay has been a non-factor in the vast majority of games.  The offensive line has been average at best (Tyrod was the #1 most sacked QB last season).

Ok, fair enough, but keep in mind my argument for top-5 potential was based on two conditions:

1. Important players stay reasonably healthy (Watkins, Clay, McCoy).

2. Rookies and second-year players are as good as projected when they were drafted (Williams, Jones, Dawkins).

We may have already upgraded the top 4 WR positions. A healthy Watkins beats an injured Watkins. Many think Jones will be a better player than Robert Woods. Listenbee is a taller, sturdier, better route-running speed WR than Glass Goodwin. Holmes looks to be a more complete red-zone WR than Hunter.

The way McCoy runs, he doesn't take as much wear and tear as some of the more north-south power backs do. And these power backs like Karlos Williams and Gillislee have been taking their fair share of the carries the past two years. And McCoy was a top-5 NFL RB last season.

Clay has been a non-factor largely due to injuries. Even still, over the past two seasons he has managed to be one of the most productive TE's this franchise has ever had.

Taylor has now had an extra season of experience.

And hopefully the new coaching staff is more organized and competent than the previous.

Last year's offense ranked 10th in points and 16th in yards. So top-5 seems plausible to me, even if unlikely.

Ok, fair enough, but keep in mind my argument for top-5 potential was based on two conditions:

1. Important players stay reasonably healthy (Watkins, Clay, McCoy).

2. Rookies and second-year players are as good as projected when they were drafted (Williams, Jones, Dawkins).

We may have already upgraded the top 4 WR positions. A healthy Watkins beats an injured Watkins. Many think Jones will be a better player than Robert Woods. Listenbee is a taller, sturdier, better route-running speed WR than Glass Goodwin. Holmes looks to be a more complete red-zone WR than Hunter.

The way McCoy runs, he doesn't take as much wear and tear as some of the more north-south power backs do. And these power backs like Karlos Williams and Gillislee have been taking their fair share of the carries the past two years. And McCoy was a top-5 NFL RB last season.

Clay has been a non-factor largely due to injuries. Even still, over the past two seasons he has managed to be one of the most productive TE's this franchise has ever had.

Taylor has now had an extra season of experience.

And hopefully the new coaching staff is more organized and competent than the previous.

Last year's offense ranked 10th in points and 16th in yards. So top-5 seems plausible to me, even if unlikely.

I hope you're right on the WRs, but I again disagree.  Jones being better than Woods as a rookie is doubtful, Listenbee hasn't played a single pro game yet due to injury (though I don't think it'll be difficult to improve on Goodwin; he's such a good guy but the talent isn't quite there), Holmes has the same number of TDs as Hunter despite having played in 18 more games.

McCoy is absolutely a top-5 back when healthy, totally agree.

On a per-game basis, Clay's 2015 season was worse than Chandler's 2013 season and his 2016 season is worse than Chandler's 2012 season.  Chandler had 6TDs in back-to-back years for us and Clay has had 3 and 4 TD seasons so far.  And Clay is supposed to be better than Chandler.  In TDs, Clay doesn't even hit the top 10 for Buffalo on a per-season basis.  Having said that, I do think his potential is way higher than Chandler's even though we haven't seen the results.

Taylor didn't improve at all last year, despite having the extra season of experience.

"hopefully the new coaching staff is more [...] competent than the previous. Last year's offense ranked 10th in points"

Do you see anything wrong with having those statements back-to-back?  From week 3 onward, i.e. when Anthony Lynn took over, Buffalo was the #6 scoring team in the NFL.  That speaks volumes about the competency of Lynn, IMO.  If anything, I'd expect regression from the offense and improvement from the defense from a coaching staff perspective.