Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

It's perfectly reasonable to be disinterested in a person's religion, or in religion generally, but there's a slippery slope -- well illustrated in a number of threads on this board -- between disinterest and antipathy. 

Which is why I withdrew from that one conversation and will not engage in religious talks here...

Now Politics...  :devil:

Self-help books in general strike me as uninteresting.

Self-help books that appear clothed in the sensibilities of modern megachurch Christianity strike me as even more uninteresting.

But. And yet. I'm becoming more open to the idea that I am missing the boat on what a guy like Batterson is doing with faith in the modern world. OTOH, there's just so much noise associated with the megachurch movement that I find disagreeable and, yes, uninteresting.

There's always room for improvement.  Well, at least with me, there is.

It's perfectly reasonable to be disinterested in a person's religion, or in religion generally, but there's a slippery slope -- well illustrated in a number of threads on this board -- between disinterest and antipathy. 

I didn't take his statement as antipathetic.

Which is why I withdrew from that one conversation and will not engage in religious talks here...

Now Politics...  :devil:

Bring back the politics thread!

McDermott seems to be approaching diety status. Gets bookoo praise from the owner and he gets to recruit and interview his own boss. If he's even 1/10 as good as Pegula seems to think he is he'll be the greatest coach we've ever had. Or Pegula's been hookwinked once again. I know which I think is more likely.

I'm definitely not disinterested. And why should I be? The coach of my favourite NFL football team apparently finds inspiration from the written preaching of one of America's most innovative megachurch preachers.

Antipathy is a touch strong. But I'll own that my feelings on such matters -- which I've outlined elsewhere -- are on that continuum.

I don't think Batterson is reputed to be one of those "prosperity gospel" types, but, man alive, the stuff he writes sure sounds a lot like that sort of stuff.

Colour me deeply skeptical.

There's always room for improvement.  Well, at least with me, there is.

Oh, hell yes. I didn't mean to suggest that my lack of interest in self-help writings is indicative my belief that I don't need to improve myself. I just find that particular genre - “It’s never too late to be who you might have been!” and such - to be uninteresting.

Haha - my mind turned to that after I posted what I did.

I think the religion thread is still out there.

It might do well to revive it, so that there's a place for a discussion of whether and how McDermott's spiritual/religious outlook is influencing his work with the Bills.

Seems like that book is not based on a Christian Bible story, but a Jewish Bible story, no?

It doesn't matter. Christians take as much "ownership" over the old Testament as Jews do. Just look at all the homophobia drivel that Evangelicals peddle. It's all comes from the Old Testament because I'm almost positive that Jesus never uttered a word about homosexuality in his half of the book.

It doesn't matter. Christians take as much "ownership" over the old Testament as Jews do. Just look at all the homophobia drivel that Evangelicals peddle. It's all comes from the Old Testament because I'm almost positive that Jesus never uttered a word about homosexuality in his half of the book.

Spoiler alert:  He died very early into his half of the book.  He didn't utter a word about homosexuality in any of the gospels, though, so you're right.

McDermott seems to be approaching diety status. Gets bookoo praise from the owner and he gets to recruit and interview his own boss. If he's even 1/10 as good as Pegula seems to think he is he'll be the greatest coach we've ever had. Or Pegula's been hookwinked once again. I know which I think is more likely.

We can all lose weight, too.

Edited by Eleven

While I do not think the intent was to take this discussion in this direction, I must say that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah is mentioned in a few of the New Testament Gospels.

The story of Prophet Lut (PBUH) is mentioned many times in the Qur'an.  The classical Arabic does not specifically condemn the inhabitants for homosexual sex, but for the inhospitable treatment of strangers ... including robbery and rape.  The people were also condemned for the first documented use of rape as a weapon in war.

To be clear many factions of the three Abrahamic religions misinterpret their own scriptures to their advantage.  None more so, IMHO, than this story.

There's a Sodom Road just on the other side of the Peace Bridge.

And this is why we can't have nice things. Buffalo will forever lose until they drive the fornicators and sodomites out of the region! Sex is only supposed to be between married people and then strictly for procreation purposes. That's why Utah has all those Championships ..... er disregard.

Sex is only supposed to be between married people and then strictly for procreation purposes. 

Based on what he's preached on the topic, the author of the book McDermott was recently reading and which he used to pitch Beane would agree.

Administrators, not trying to cause something here. Roughly how many members left after the politics thread was shut down? I rarely took part in that. Did read a good bit of it though. Majority of the time I felt the debates were mature and under control. Occasionally things would get out of hand, but honestly, how many threads have never had some type of argument? I support brining it back. Quite sure it won't. But what if brining it back caused those who left to return to this message board? Edited by GoPre

Administrators, not trying to cause something here. Roughly how many members left after the politics thread was shut down? I rarely took part in that. Did read a good bit of it though. Majority of the time I felt the debates were mature and under control. Occasionally things would get out of hand, but honestly, how many threads have never had some type of argument? I support brining it back. Quite sure it won't. But what if brining it back caused those who left to return to this message board?

DeLuca comes to mind.