Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

What a ###### joke this has become then

It basically ensures a puppet GM. The best case scenario is basically that the link from Swamp at the top of this page is true and we're stealing the AGM of Carolina. No real GM worth his salt is going to join an organization where his subordinate (the coach) has more power than he does.

I've never heard of 12up though so I have no idea if that site in reputable.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you....

....the Buffalo Bills

If I got some really good odds, I might be willing to bet that football isn't even a sport anymore before the bills make the playoffs again.

What a ###### joke this has become then

I don't think McD making the firing of DW a condition to McD taking the job necessarily indicates dysfunction or is even terribly unusual. 

I'd expect that DW's reputation around the NFL as a GM was/is pretty poor -- especially following his presser after Rex was fired.  It seems pretty reasonable that McD wouldn't be interested in working for DW.

I don't think McD making the firing of DW a condition to McD taking the job necessarily indicates dysfunction or is even terribly unusual. 

I'd expect that DW's reputation around the NFL as a GM was/is pretty poor -- especially following his presser after Rex was fired.  It seems pretty reasonable that McD wouldn't be interested in working for DW.

Despite your dislike for DW do you see a reputable GM coming here with the knowledge that his hire will need to be approved by his own subordinate first? We're going to be limited to candidates who are on board with that. I'm sorry but what the hell has McD accomplished to get Belichick level treatment?

Again, we are getting caught up in titles. Very few franchises have the flow of power that everyone seems to want. I'll bet half the coaches in the league actually have more power then the GM, maybe more.

I agree with this.

Again, we are getting caught up in titles. Very few franchises have the flow of power that everyone seems to want. I'll bet half the coaches in the league actually have more power then the GM, maybe more.

Agreed. And I think it can vary from team to team. Look at NE. Does anyone think Belichick isn't calling the shots there? Of course not. Because NE doesn't even HAVE a GM. 

Despite your dislike for DW do you see a reputable GM coming here with the knowledge that his hire will need to be approved by his own subordinate first? We're going to be limited to candidates who are on board with that. I'm sorry but what the hell has McD accomplished to get Belichick level treatment?

It will be someone that McDermott is comfortable with. And McDermott hasn't done anything to deserve this power.

Nothing else has worked either

Yes -- the Sabres are interviewing pretty much every highly-regarded GM candidate; I see no reason why the Bills won't have similar interest from the field of candidates.

I agree with your concern about McD getting too much too soon.

Totally agree.

If McDermott turns out to be the next Belichick, he can have the power of GM, CEO, President, and towel boy for all I care. Bring me a Super Bowl!

I agree, once he's proven that. At this point he's proven less as an NFL head coach than Eichel had as an NHL player though, yet people seem ok with our prima donna coach who gets to rubber stamp his own boss.

I haven't been so down on the Bills since the year they sent Flutie packing and he and Christie ended up on the Chargers.

Yes -- the Sabres are interviewing pretty much every highly-regarded GM candidate; I see no reason why the Bills won't have similar interest from the field of candidates.

I agree with your concern about McD getting too much too soon.

Totally agree.

The Sabres shouldn't have trouble because I assume one of the questions in the interview will be to go over who that person has in mind to bri g in as potential head coaching candidates. If they pulled the same bass ackwards the Bills are doing though, I imagine the field would diminish significantly. Edited by Drunkard

I agree, once he's proven that. At this point he's proven less as a head coach than Eichel had as an NHL player though, yet people seem ok with our prima donna coach who gets to rubber stamp his own boss.

I haven't been so down on the Bills since the year they sent Flutie packing and he and Christie ended up on the Chargers.

The Sabres shouldn't have trouble because I assume one of the questions in the interview will be to go over who that person has in mind to bri g in as potential head coaching candidates. If they pulled the same bass ackwards ###### the Bills are doing though, I imagine the field would diminish significantly.

What is it about McD that makes him a prima Donna? That he didn't want to work with DW?

What is it about McD that makes him a prima Donna? That he didn't want to work with DW?

He may not be, especially given his impressive wrestling credentials, but Pegula is sure treating him like one. He basically ran the draft and will get to approve the coach. If they knew they were gonna fire DW they should have did it after the season, hired a new GM, and let him have a say in choosing the coach.

Tyrod is in the bottom half of starting QB pay and no one cares about Cardale Jones. His biggest failures have been trading up to get Sammy Watkins and not tendering Hogan or Gillislee with high enough picks.

That was a quote from the article.

Whaley received his extension in January 2016 -- a solid 16 months ago.  He was entering the final year of his deal, so the extension prevented him from being a lame duck.  An extension in these circumstances is very common.

Here is what TP said at the time:

That is hardly high praise -- and really could be characterized as muted.

As I and many others -- including many professional NFL writers -- have said, keeping DW and the scouting staff until after the draft was the logical move for the franchise.

I agree that DW (and RB, IMHO) should've been fired as soon as TP bought the team, just like he should've fired Darcy.  But TP doesn't believe in buying something and then firing everyone.  He believes in giving people a chance to prove themselves.  That doesn't make him a bad guy, or fickle, or lacking in character. 

Similarly, giving DW an extension entering his lame-duck year, praising him fairly moderately at the time and then firing him 16 months later (after 16 months of continued terrible performance) doesn't make him a bad guy, or fickle or lacking in character, nor does it mean the extension was an embarrassment.  It just means DW didn't do a good job, TP decided he'd given DW enough rope, and it was time to cut his losses and move on.

I think TP will have plenty of high-quality applicants for the GM job -- just as he's had for the Sabres' GM job.

I was referring actually to the public support Pegula extended to Whaley after his totally embarrassing presser post-Ryan where Whaley wasn't 'privy' to anything.  Not the contract extension.  

And yeah, we can hope his words and actions regarding both Murray and Whaley were part of some incredible strategery and cunning on Pegula's part .  I have my doubts.   You see planning - I see no real method at all.