Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Bills officially decline to pick up Watkins Fifth Year Option

Would've preferred to see them pick it up, but $13MM is a lot of guaranteed money for a guy coming off his 2nd foot surgery.

So, is this on McDermott, Brandon, Overdorf, the Pegulas, or other?

They just keep getting Billsier.

Dammit, this team can't fix itself.

Would've preferred to see them pick it up, but $13MM is a lot of guaranteed money for a guy coming off his 2nd foot surgery.

Wait until he is catching passes in New England in two seasons.

Yea, I can understand why they did it, but I still think it's a mistake.

Overdorf's the cap guy, right?

Bills officially decline to pick up Watkins Fifth Year Option

Tough choice, but the only good choice at this point.

At that price, I would not have been able to rationalize picking it up.

Wait until he is catching passes in New England in two seasons.

You shut your mouth. 

(I can see this happening.)

Yea, I can understand why they did it, but I still think it's a mistake.

I understand this perspective, but I think the better choice is to decline for now, have an honest conversation with him about the business of the sport, and then hope for the best.

Edited by That Aud Smell

If he gets through, say, the first dozen games of the season and puts up all-star numbers, they could sign him to a subsequent contract then, right?

Sure, the contract will be huge though, and he'd have to be willing to sign it. Seems odd to give up a year of control of a player who has played well, makes me think the outlook on the foot must be poor, or at least unknown. 

Edited by Lanny

If he gets through, say, the first dozen games of the season and puts up all-star numbers, they could sign him to a subsequent contract then, right?

I think that's right. I feel like something exactly like this just happened - maybe last season.

Sure, the contract will be huge though, and he'd have to be willing to sign it. Seems odd to give up a year of control of a player who has played well, makes me think the outlook on the foot must be poor, or at least unknown. 

I hope it's huge. I hope he puts up eye-popping numbers and earns a big pay day.

And agreed on what might be going on behind the scenes -- there has to be concern there.

Even without the eye popping numbers he's there. Robert Woods just signed 5 years $32M. Alshon Jeffery 1 year $14M. Sammy's probably worth close to that $13M a year amount today. 

Edited by Lanny

He's had injury issues the past 2 seasons, why give him guaranteed money for 2018 right now when you don't have to?  

What if he re-injures his foot, or doesn't fully heal? 

The team knows more about his foot situation than you or I do.

Overdorf's the cap guy, right?

Yes, but Pegula did not give him a vote of confidence. His fate will be decided by the new GM.

Brandon Beane the reported front runner handles the cap for Carolina.

Sal C mentioned in an interview that some of the Asst Coaches last year felt Sammy was rushed back too quickly and this contributed to his second surgery.

Regarding Watkins:  the story is far from being fully written, but certainly this decision reduces by quite a bit the likelihood that he stays here long term -- probably to below 50%.

And that's too bad, because when healthy he's terrific.