Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

And I'm on the outside, looking in.  How wouldn't the coaching staff have similar concerns as mine?  

Although I can also see the coaches thinking they need to learn if he can hack it in the NFL-  I'm honestly thinking the answer is "no"  until I see him put together a string of 4 or 5 games where he's a contributor.     

I do not think coaches of NFL teams would ever try to manage a WR's targets in order to keep him from getting injured again. Those coaches need to win games in order to keep their jobs. They all but treat those players like livestock (precious livestock, but livestock).

Now, coaches may not plan to go to a guy because they know he's 70%, or whatever. Or they might not ask a guy with busted ribs to go over the middle.

But I cannot imagine a game-planning session where the coaches would choose to steer targets away from an elite playmaker because they think he might get hurt. 

Multiple reports out right now that the Cleveland Browns are shopping left tackle Joe Thomas... Thomas is probably the best offensive lineman in the entire NFL right now.

He's under contract for three more years with cap hits of $9.5M, $10M and $10M. He's currently 30 so you wonder at what point his body might slow down, but he's a GREAT talent. Cordy Glenn is a solid left tackle which I would be content with going forward, but he's also likely to command around $10M on the open market this offseason (or via franchise tag from the Bills). I wonder what the asking price for Thomas would be. I would be willing to include Glenn, a 3rd this year and a future 2nd.

(Just to be clear: I don't think Glenn is worth nearly the $9-10M price tag. I believe there's at least one GM out there dumb enough to make it happen)

Edited by Hoss

while Thomas is a great player...I think he is too old to throw money at.

Job 1 here is to get rid of Rex. Job 2 is get a DC. Job 3 is develop TT and get a real backup QB.

Hard to make too many player decisions when a talented squad is peforming like one of the worst teams in the league.

while Thomas is a great player...I think he is too old to throw money at.

Job 1 here is to get rid of Rex. Job 2 is get a DC. Job 3 is develop TT and get a real backup QB.

Hard to make too many player decisions when a talented squad is peforming like one of the worst teams in the league.

You're not throwing any money at Thomas. He's already got it for the next three years, so they won't have to work out a new deal or anything.

Job 1 is to get a QB.

Rex Ryan isn't going anywhere. His DC might though

Dennis Thurman is only leaving if he chooses to leave. (He has been mentioned in connection with the USC job). Rex Ryan is the defensive coordinator. Thurman is more like his assistant and is only doing what Rex wants. Rex's defense is complex and takes time. It was hoped that given the talent level and the fact that they played for Pettine two years ago would have facilitated the transition.

WTF is DVOA, and no, I am not going to look it up! GDit! WTF has happened to sports!!

I'm sorry Swamp :lol:

It's Football Outsiders' proprietary team stat, meant to be a significant improvement upon the traditional "yards gained/allowed" team offense/defense rankings. Long version can be found here, but I think the brief snippet quoted below gives enough of an idea of what it's about and why it's better.

One running back runs for three yards. Another running back runs for three yards. Which is the better run? This sounds like a stupid question, but it isn’t. In fact, this question is at the heart of nearly all of the analysis on Football Outsiders.
Several factors can differentiate one three-yard run from another. What is the down and distance? Is it third-and-2 or second-and-15? Where on the field is the ball? Does the player get only three yards because he hits the goal line and scores? Is the player’s team up by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, and thus running out the clock; or down by two touchdowns, and thus facing a defense that is playing purely against the pass? Is the running back playing against the porous defense of the Raiders, or the stalwart defense of the Bears?

I'm sorry Swamp :lol:

It's Football Outsiders' proprietary team stat, meant to be a significant improvement upon the traditional "yards gained/allowed" team offense/defense rankings. Long version can be found here, but I think the brief snippet quoted below gives enough of an idea of what it's about and why it's better.

So..... yards gained on a Tuesday while wearing red underwear?   :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.