Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

According to Sammy, yes. During the tours of the Ralph he was apparently telling people how bad it is and that much of the team feels the same way.

FFS. They have A-Turf at the Ralph? A-Turf barely makes the cut (and often does not) when a local high school or college builds a turf field facility. Time for an upgrade. 

Solid? He's is already getting mentioned for pro bowl consideration. Look at New England's OL. They started a college free agent at center. To say that they haven't tried to fix the line given the number of picks and signings is ridiculous. You can argue if they chose the right guys and then I point back to how hard it is to find the right guy.

As for McCoy's contract, I am going to leave my statement as it is. There was a lot more that played onto that and I fully expect him to play to the value of his contract through 2019 but if he doesn't it was a worthwhile investment in my book.

I know how evaluations work and not sure what you mean in the contect of my statement anyway.

The Pegula's will evaluate Whaley on his three years and may or may not choose to move on but his record of success will get him another job. I still don't understand all the talk about a step back this early in the season especially with all the injuries and the team starting to get healthy. His sticking by EJ may be his ultimate downfall.

Do you think if Whaley is let go this year he will just slide into another GM job?  I call NFW on that.  I agree that he'll probably catch on somewhere, but definitely not as the #1 guy and likely not as the #2 guy (but possible).

As for McCoy, I don't see how you can feel this way.  He's high-mileage, his production has been in decline for a couple of years now and he's missed half of this season with injuries.  And if "there was a lot more that played in" you mean that he was PO'd about being traded and needed $26MM guaranteed to mollify him -- that doesn't make it a good move by Whaley.

The question is "Why?" 

Why would the NFL or the officials target the Bills? As mentioned, they are one of the least relevant teams in the league, why expend the effort? Is the league afraid the Bills are going to overtake the Patriots? The league hates the Patriots, wouldn't the "enemies of my enemies are my allies" apply? If you want to believe in conspiracies, wouldn't the logical one be that the NFL would help the other three teams in the division? Is the league out to get Rex Ryan? Why? Does the league want to get Terry Pegula? Why? 

Seriously, for anyone out there who thinks the league is out to get the Bills, please give an answer that isn't easily debunked.  

Well the Bills sell out most games year after year even if we miss the playoffs. Unlike say, the Jags. The NFL knows that no matter what Bills fans are going to spend money on the team. Ralph knew this as well. 

I don't think they're afraid of the Bills as much as they would rather have other teams going to the playoffs or playing in primetime games. 

There's not a lot of financial downside to the Bills missing the playoffs again. And the upside is not as high as the upside for say, the Giants making the playoffs. 

before personnel moves(exc for getting rid of EJ) are made we really need to get some smart football people in this organization. GM and head coach are needed as this team looks horribly disorganized.Polian or someone like that as an advisor...kinda like Jerry West is in Golden state.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

You give Harbaugh or Belichek or Fisher or Coughlin or Carrol this same group of players you have a definite playoff team no doubt.

While this may seem to support Whaley somewhat--I still think there is no excuse for his handling of the QB situation.

Edited by calti

Please no Polian. I'm tired of dipping into the past, and we don't need some guy who has nothing to lose (already in the HOF, can just go back to ESPN if he's canned, etc.). Plus he's an adamant defender of Doug Marrone.

Barring something changing (this team could still somewhat easily make the playoffs) I'm thinking the obvious moves are as follows:

- Let Doug Whaley go

- Cut EJ Manuel

- Cut Leodis McKelvin (saves $4M)

- Cut Dan Carpenter and Jordan Gay, find a kicker that can do his job fully

- Spend energy this offseason on QB first

- Once you figure out where you want to go at QB focus on the O-line (may include a Cordy Glenn re-signing)

- Work on an extension for Stephon Gilmore

I don't think you can fire Rex after one season, but I've also always been an advocate of new GMs picking his coach. If you have a strong candidate and they insist on their own guy let them go to the podium and make that clear: I'm going to find my own coach.

This draft, right now, appears to feature three QBs draftable in the top half of the first round: Jared Goff (Cal), Paxton Lynch (Memphis) and Connor Cook (Michigan State). Get one of them. Preferably the first two (I'm not a fan of college QBs who haven't completed 60% of their passes, Matt Ryan being the exception).

This is "cart before the horse" kind of talk because a ton can happen between now and then, but we're fans and it's a joy to speculate.

Edited by Hoss

Please no Polian. I'm tired of dipping into the past, and we don't need some guy who has nothing to lose (already in the HOF, can just go back to ESPN if he's canned, etc.). Plus he's an adamant defender of Doug Marrone.

just as an advisor....but if not him then someone else with a proven record. Marrone was pretty smart not to re-up with Whaley still there screwing everything up.

Id say Marrone looks pretty smart now

Edited by calti

just as an advisor....but if not him then someone else with a proven record. Marrone was pretty smart not to re-up with Whaley still there screwing everything up.

Marrone went from an NFL HC to a position coach on the worst team in the league. He does not look smart, then or now.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how having the 8th highest scoring team in the league in spite of not once playing with all 11 starters is the result of Whaley screwing up

If the pass interference call isn't made and the Bills are 4 and 3 going into the bye we aren't even having this conversation.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how having the 8th highest scoring team in the league in spite of not once playing with all 11 starters is the result of Whaley screwing up

If the pass interference call isn't made and the Bills are 4 and 3 going into the bye we aren't even having this conversation.

Do you honestly not see the vulnerablity of this team? They're 25th in yards per game. The offense is scoring for now, but it will stop. They can't move the ball.

And if Tennessee doesn't choke up their game we are 2-5. The if game is great, but all that matters is that this team is 3-4 right now. Hopefully they can figure things out with the bye, come back healthy, then run off some wins.

And if Tennessee doesn't choke up their game we are 2-5. The if game is great, but all that matters is that this team is 3-4 right now. Hopefully they can figure things out with the bye, come back healthy, then run off some wins.

I'm not arguing any of the last few points. My point is two fold. 1st)There are reasons for optimism, it's not all doom and gloom.

2nd) There are maybe four teams in this league that are considerably better then them. It's a flawed league separated by play at one position.

I feel like the county being involved may enhance the chances we settled for a second-rate surface due to cost :lol:

I'm surprised it isn't gravel.

These last two posts are giving me flashbacks of the conversations following the 07 Sabres.

What year was it that we reluctantly let you in here?  Did you come with d4rk?

2010.  I looked it up.  Wasn't it after some other forum collapsed or imploded?

Yup.  Don't even remember the name of it any more.  Interestingly, the meat of the conversations were the same.  Are they, or aren't they smoke and mirrors.

Edited by We've

1) you apparently didn't watch EJ's Houston or Jacksonville game.

2) he still put the team on his back, and won the game for us

3) who cares? It was his 5th career start

Not saying this is you, but years of bad QB play has turned the fans into the most ignorant group of people wanting a new QB always and then giving up on them at any signs of struggling.

Taylor made a couple of big plays with his legs in that game, sure. But that game was won by the defense who kept it close while Taylor and the offense dislodged their heads from their . 

Ah yes, I remember TT's stretch of 2 picks, one of them being a pick six, and a fumble that was recovered for a touchdown, in a span of a few minutes, in the Titans game. Dreadful.

Do you remember 10 of 17 for 109 yards for the game, not a quarter or half, the entire game.

I know it's the in thing to bash on EJ, I find that opinion lazy and the easy way out, but how many quarterbacks are going to have a stretch like that and see that QB come back and play the ball he did from the last part of the first half to end of the game? The kid showed something there. Injuries and Doug Marrone hurt Manuel early on. The kid makes some throws that makes me wonder if given some time with some decent coaching if he couldn't be a viable NFL QB. Not saying Tom Brady, but if Ryan Fitzpatrick can still find work there is no reason Manuel can't be a starter in this league.    

Do you remember 10 of 17 for 109 yards for the game, not a quarter or half, the entire game.

I know it's the in thing to bash on EJ, I find that opinion lazy and the easy way out, but how many quarterbacks are going to have a stretch like that and see that QB come back and play the ball he did from the last part of the first half to end of the game? The kid showed something there. Injuries and Doug Marrone hurt Manuel early on. The kid makes some throws that makes me wonder if given some time with some decent coaching if he couldn't be a viable NFL QB. Not saying Tom Brady, but if Ryan Fitzpatrick can still find work there is no reason Manuel can't be a starter in this league.    

For your first sentence, that is literally objectively nowhere near as bad as EJ's display of quarterbacking last game. Some garbage time against the Jacksonville Jaguars' prevent defense helped his final stats (not sure by how much, I don't plan on looking them up), but jesus. 

I'm not bashing EJ because it's the thing, or because I like TT. I agree TT hasn't looked good outside of Miami/Indy and a couple garbage times of his own. I'm bashing the worst display of quarterbacking I've ever seen in my life. His big throw to Gragg on the second drive was awful, Gragg had to fall down to catch it, should have been a TD. Then he overthrew the man wide open in the back of the end zone again. That short hop to Woods with no pressure. The guy cannot play QB. Sorry I'm lazy to you for witnessing the worst display of quarterbacking in my life. Yes, it really was that bad.

I truly thought we finally saw the death of EJ's supporters last week. How one survived I have no idea. There isn't a single reason to believe EJ Manuel can CONSISTENTLY make good throws. For every good throw he makes he has at least ten bad ones.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.