Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Per Potato's request, should probably have the Bills 2015 thread rolling. Seems Tank's rundown on coaching candidates would be a good place to start.

Just playing a little catchup on the reported candidates for the Bills HC job so far now that wild card weekend is over and a few more names are available:

A little background on the unknowns...

Frank Reich, San Diego Chargers OC
History: Former backup for the Buffalo Bills. Tailor of the greatest comeback in NFL history. More relevant is that he has gained some credit as a bit of a "QB guru" in his time as a coach. He worked with Peyton Manning in Indianapolis which was likely more of a learning than teaching experience. He spent a year with the Arizona Cardinals as a WR coach before becoming the quarterback coach in San Diego. He spent a year in that position before moving to offensive coordinator once Mike McCoy was hired as head coach. There are some questions about his experience and how involved he is with the play calling on offense.
Interview: Reportedly Sunday January 4th.

Darrell Bevell, Seattle Seahawks OC
History: Four-year starting QB at Wisconsin but never played professionally. Worked a few years in the college ranks before becoming the assistant QB coach in Green Bay prior to the 2000 season. Dropped the "assistant" title from 2003-2005. In 2006 he was brought to Minnesota to be their offensive coordinator. Had Adrian Peterson for all but his first season there and led Brett Favre to his best season statistically in 2009. After losing his job when Todd Frazier brought in his own staff he was scooped up by Seattle. He has won a Super Bowl with Seattle and helped Marshawn Lynch look like a Hall of Famer. Russell Wilson has seen great success under Bevell. No head coaching experience.
Interview: Reportedly took place Saturday January 3rd.

Dan Quinn, Seattle Seahawks DC
History: Spent most of the 90s working his way up as a college assistant. Defensive line coaching positions with San Francisco, Miami, New York and Seattle helped him become the defensive coordinator for the Florida Gators. He returned to Seattle to become their defensive coordinator in 2013 and led a talented group of varying personalities to one of the best defensive seasons in history and a Super Bowl ring. He has been commended for leading a group of boys to become men and help the Seahawks win their first championship. This bodes well for his abilities as a head coach. Has never been a head coach.
Interview: Reportedly took place Saturday January 3rd.

Adam Gase, Denver Broncos DC
History: Started his coaching career under Nick Saban at Michigan State and LSU. This helped him jump to the Detroit Lions in various roles, including QB coach. He made a brief stop as an offensive assistant in San Francisco before heading to Denver. He was their quarterback coach for two seasons, one of which saw them win a playoff game with Tim Tebow at quarterback. He has been the offensive coordinator there for two seasons. His first season was one in which Peyton Manning shattered multiple passing records, but his second one has given him more credit as a coach. Manning has seemed to have slowed down a bit, but Gase adjusted accordingly and made CJ Anderson look like a star by getting the running game more involved. That type of adjustment is what you need out of a head coach and offensive mind. No previous experience and working with Peyton Manning has made him a bit of a question mark. Likely would've been the Browns coach last offseason if he was interested.
Interview: Reportedly interviewed Saturday January 3rd.

Pep Hamilton, Indianapolis Colts OC
History: Worked at Howard University as QB coach from '97-2001. Added offensive coordinator to his title for the last three seasons he coached there before joining the Jets staff. He had various offensive staff roles there, in San Fran and in Chicago (QB and WR coach in those places) before Stanford brought him in as WR coach in 2010. He switched to QB coach and offensive coordinator in 2011. He was Andrew Luck's OC/QB coach for a year which led to Luck being taken first overall by the Indianapolis Colts. He joined Luck in Indianapolis a year later as offensive coordinator. He has experience on offensive staffs throughout the league and has become a respected assistant, but his biggest success came when he followed Andrew Luck. He's the biggest question mark on this list, but it's clear why he's an intriguing candidate. No previous HC experience.
Interview: Requested.

Teryl Austin, Detroit Lions DC
History: This is a name that entered the fray late. He gained steam as the season went on and the Detroit Lions defense got better and better. His defensive front especially, but he's known as a defensive backs coach which is where his background is. He coached on defensive staffs at Penn State, Wake Forest, Syracuse and Michigan before he became the Seahawks defensive backs coach from 2003-2006. One of those season (2005) ended up in a Super Bowl appearance for the Seahawks when the lost to Pittsburgh. He hopped to another NFC West team in Arizona in the same role from 2007-2009. He once again coached in a Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008. He left the pros for one season as Florida defensive coordinator before returning to coach defensive backs in Baltimore. He was there for three seasons before becoming the Lions defensive coordinator this season. The defense showed great strides under his watch, but they retained the undisciplined look that they had under Jim Schwartz. He's a relative unknown despite retaining good jobs in the league. No head coaching experience.
Interview: Requested.

The known names with much briefer details...

Mike Shanahan, former LA Raiders, Broncos and Washington HC
History: Won two Super Bowls in Denver with John Elway and Terrell Davis. Took a pretty bad Washington team to the playoffs where his controversial management of RGIII resulted in pretty terrible knee injuries. Has been in the NFL since 1984.
Interview: Not clear. Schefter reported they wanted it done this weekend (3rd/4th).

Jim Schwartz, Buffalo Bills DC
History: Worked as a college coach from 89-92 before jumping the Browns scouting staff in '93. Worked with the Ravens and Titans linebacking corps from '96-00 before becoming the Titans DC in 2001. His defenses were always seen as one of the best. Worked in that role until 2008 when the Lions hired him for their head job. He took an 0-16 team and improved them by 2, 4 and 4 wins for three straight season, resulting in a playoff appearance at 10-6. The team fell quickly after that and he was fired two seasons later. His teams were always considered undisciplined. Last season, he led one of the best defenses in the NFL. He is loved by his players across the board which is something you want to see in your coach.
Interview: Not clear.

Rex Ryan, fired as New York Jets HC
History: College coach from '87-93 before joining Arizona's defensive staff. Became Cincinnati's DC for two seasons before moving back to college as Oklahoma and Kansas State's defensive coordinator for one season each. Baltimore brought him in in 1999 to coach the defensive line that helped Ray Lewis become one of the best linebackers ever. He was the team's defensive coordinator from 2005-2008 which gained him a lot of respect around the league. The Jets took a shot on him in 2009 and he ended up with one of the league's best defenses while appearing in two AFC Championship Games with Mark Sanchez as QB. Fell out of favor when the defense faded a bit and his antics grew tiresome. Still seen as a good coach around the league.
Interview: Not clear

Hue Jackson, Cincinnati Bengals OC
History: Bounced around various colleges in coordinator and other minor roles from 1987 until 2001 when Washington hired him as running backs coach. Spent one season in that role before moving on to Cincy as WR coach. Atlanta hired him as offensive coordinator and that lasted one season before he became QB coach in Baltimore. He then became Oakland's offensive coordinator for one season before they named him head coach. This was another one-year job and he has since worked his way back up the ranks in Cincy to become their offensive coordinator. He has worked all over offensive staffs, but it's tough to know if that's a good or bad thing.
Interview: Reportedly requested and could take place now that Cincy is eliminated.

Josh McDaniels, New England Patriots OC
History: After two seasons at Michigan State he became an assistant with the New England Patriots in 2001. His start came on the defensive side of the ball, but he became the QB coach from 2004-08. Tom Brady's QB rating had never gone over 90 before McDaniels became his QB coach, but he exceeded it 3/4 seasons McDaniels coached him, including one in which he threw for 4,800 yards and 50 TDs. He became the team's OC in 2006 on top of his duties as QB coach prior to landing the Denver head coach job. He was instrumental in the team's first-round selection of Tim Tebow. He rubbed some people the wrong way and only lasted two seasons there. He spent one season as St. Louis' OC before returning to New England. Some question whether or not he's capable of coaching without Belichick.
Interview: Buffalo did not get it in on time so it likely won't happen.

My fingers hurt... I'm going to update this as interviews are confirmed/candidates are chopped off the list or added.

The more I read about him, the more intriguing the Seattle OC becomes.

2015 here we come! :thumbsup:

There are so many candidates being interviewed, I don't have a clue who is going to emerge from the pack. I'd be satisfied with someone who is a good game day coach (i.e., knows when to challenge a call, knows when you use his timeouts, knows went to go for 2, when to go for it on 4th down, etc.). And, that is hard to detect in an interview.

I rally like Darrell Bevell...he was the reason the Seahawks took a guy like Russell Wilson..and he is an innovate offensive mind and he could bring over some Seahawk flavor to the defense and if we can just keep Schwartz that would be amazing

Edited by (E5)

I don't have the slightest idea whom the Bills are going to hire, nor do I really have a preference among the guys they've interviewed. I really want them to get rid of Brandon and Whaley, but at this point that seems unlikely.

Even so, for the 1st time in forever, I'm optimistic about the Bills. As I posted in the 2014 thread, I think there is a good likelihood that next year's team will have an improved coach, QB and offensive line, with a D that is more or less as good as this year's very good unit. More broadly, I think that although it may take another year or so, the organization will become a more professionally-run franchise, as opposed to the Mickey Mouse operation we've seen for the last 15 years.

GoDD might even win our bet about the Bills winning a playoff game before the Sabres win a playoff series.

I don't have the slightest idea whom the Bills are going to hire, nor do I really have a preference among the guys they've interviewed. I really want them to get rid of Brandon and Whaley, but at this point that seems unlikely.

Even so, for the 1st time in forever, I'm optimistic about the Bills. As I posted in the 2014 thread, I think there is a good likelihood that next year's team will have an improved coach, QB and offensive line, with a D that is more or less as good as this year's very good unit. More broadly, I think that although it may take another year or so, the organization will become a more professionally-run franchise, as opposed to the Mickey Mouse operation we've seen for the last 15 years.

GoDD might even win our bet about the Bills winning a playoff game before the Sabres win a playoff series.

I agree with the optimism but don't understand you still wanting Whaley and Brandon gone. Whaley has been running the show and is largely responsible for the upward trend of the football operations and Brandon's work has at the very least resulted in surprised responses from people who saw the numbers during the sale process.

I agree with the optimism but don't understand you still wanting Whaley and Brandon gone. Whaley has been running the show and is largely responsible for the upward trend of the football operations and Brandon's work has at the very least resulted in surprised responses from people who saw the numbers during the sale process.

Well, we've had this same disagreement for a while now. My bottom line is that I think both guys are part and parcel of the Mickey Mouse-ness that has characterized this organization for the last 15 years. The Marrone CF -- including his $4MM parachute -- is just the latest example of bozo management in action.

I also think Brandon's marketing "genius" is quite a bit overblown. The Toronto series made some cash -- not a huge amount -- for the team, which I suppose is OK if you don't mind adding another L to the record every year. And was it really such an inspiration to sell tickets in Southern Ontario and the Rochester-Syracuse region? No kidding. Finally, NFL teams are pretty GD precious -- I doubt we'll see one sell for less than the Bills sold for anytime soon.

In any case, I suspect both will get another year. With Ralph's cheapness and the Detroit accountants no longer clouding the picture (and serving as an excuse for them and their apologists), we'll have a clearer picture on Whaley.

Well, we've had this same disagreement for a while now. My bottom line is that I think both guys are part and parcel of the Mickey Mouse-ness that has characterized this organization for the last 15 years. The Marrone CF -- including his $4MM parachute -- is just the latest example of bozo management in action.

I also think Brandon's marketing "genius" is quite a bit overblown. The Toronto series made some cash -- not a huge amount -- for the team, which I suppose is OK if you don't mind adding another L to the record every year. And was it really such an inspiration to sell tickets in Southern Ontario and the Rochester-Syracuse region? No kidding. Finally, NFL teams are pretty GD precious -- I doubt we'll see one sell for less than the Bills sold for anytime soon.

In any case, I suspect both will get another year. With Ralph's cheapness and the Detroit accountants no longer clouding the picture (and serving as an excuse for them and their apologists), we'll have a clearer picture on Whaley.

I respect your opinion but you can't blaim Brandon for what went wrong without giving him credit for his successes. This team had trouble selling tickets during their Super Bowl years and his regionalization success is a large part of what made this franchise financially viable.

The parachute clause was a by product of the uncertainty of the future and while you might not believe it, Marrone had options and a sharp attorney and nobody other then those three what was bargained away in return for the opt out clause.

Whaley, I just don't get how he is held responsible for anything that happened more then two years ago.

We will have to agree to disagree but at least we both are on the same page now.

Any criticism of Brandon's involvement on the football side since 2008 is certainly fair game for criticism.

But there is simply no denying the positive impact he's had on bottom line performance since he was hired in '97. The Toronto series that netted $80m plus in non-shared revenue is one thing, but it was the immediate influx of those revenues upon his hire that endeared him to Mr. Wilson. Remember entering The Ralph after the renovations in '98? All that new ad signage from all those new sponsors was not a coincidence nor was the record number of sales of private suites and club seating at the time. He brought non-shared revenue generation into the 21st century for the club in an economically challenged market and it's no surprise he put himself on an upward track in the organization as a result.

It's one thing to sell tickets in "the region", quite another to expand the region altogether, especially in the form of corporate sponsorship. I'd be surprised if the Pegulas, especially with the advent of their 'One Buffalo' campaign, wouldn't seek to leverage Brandon's success in that area.

GO BILLS!!!

What if, just if.... Our D isn't up to snuff again like last year. It's hard to repeat and other teams will have more film on out schemes and etc. I know there's optimism and rightfully so, just Devils advocate here

Just on odds alone from the past 3 years....

Dareus gets arrested (67%)

Kyle Williams shreds a foot (67%)

Mario finds a new broad and has a breakdown (33%)

Hughes in FA (50% he comes back)

There's a 10% chance none of your 4 starting linemen are in the lineup for a chunk of games.....

There's a 10% chance none of your 4 starting linemen are in the lineup for a chunk of games.....

Unfortunately at very least Dareus will probably be suspended a couple of games to begin the season.

I'll take over on dareus

Under on Williams

Over on Mario

And that Hughes resigns and then chokes on a burger from checkers

What if, just if.... Our D isn't up to snuff again like last year. It's hard to repeat and other teams will have more film on out schemes and etc. I know there's optimism and rightfully so, just Devils advocate here

As long as the personnel stays together, I don't see how there could be a real dropoff. They have consecutive years of top-10 (or 5, depending on the metric) with radically different schemes. Barring disaster that's not changing next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.