Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Sammy Watkins has left ankle heavily taped as he worked w trainer off to side at start of #Bills practice. Now not on the field.

:censored:  :wallbash:  :death:

Matt Stafford is the QB equivalent of Tyler Myers. There, I said it. At some point the "if he puts it all together..." sentiment has to die in the face of reality.

Feel better?

###### it, the trade was bad. At this point we all know what he is, Arian Foster 2.0

Except Watkins has not yet played nearly as much productive football as Foster has.

###### it, the trade was bad. At this point we all know what he is, Arian Foster 2.0

I'm not ready to go there yet. Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones both had 2 of their first 3 years plagued with nagging injuries that limited their impact, and they turned out alright. Even Beckham, who everyone gushes over, missed significant time last year and would appear to have chronic hamstring issues which will limit him from time to time. 

Feel better?

Not especially. It's like Sam Bradford all over again. When will the tantilization of talent be overridden by what is already a pretty lengthy career of mediocrity? Stafford has had one season in seven that would make you think he might realize his talent...and that was back in 2011. 

Matt Stafford is the QB equivalent of Tyler Myers. There, I said it. At some point the "if he puts it all together..." sentiment has to die in the face of reality.

Matthew Stafford put it all together a long time ago. He's not some question mark. He threw for over 5000 yards once, over 4200 four times and is on pace to do that again this season... There's no "put it all together." He is what he is (a gunslinger with the ability to make up for any mistakes that come with that mentality).

I'm not ready to go there yet. Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones both had 2 of their first 3 years plagued with nagging injuries that limited their impact, and they turned out alright. Even Beckham, who everyone gushes over, missed significant time last year and would appear to have chronic hamstring issues which will limit him from time to time. 

Agree - especially on J. Jones. Cripes. The world nowadays is plagued by so much over-reaction to what's happening right here and now.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say that Sammy Watkins will be fine. But, the apparent talk of the death of his career is greatly exaggerated.

Matthew Stafford put it all together a long time ago. He's not some question mark. He threw for over 5000 yards once, over 4200 four times and is on pace to do that again this season... There's no "put it all together." He is what he is (a gunslinger with the ability to make up for any mistakes that come with that mentality).

I definitely agree he's not a question mark--he's a known, proven, bottom half of the league QB. He might be high-end mediocre, but he is mediocre nonetheless. 

Story on Greg Hardy's arrest for assaulting his girlfriend: http://deadspin.com/this-is-why-nfl-star-greg-hardy-was-arrested-for-assaul-1739117634

I must say, I am very numb to most off-field behavior of professional athletes, but boy am I glad the Bills don't employ this guy. I honestly don't know how anyone could defend a team with this guy on the roster.

I definitely agree he's not a question mark--he's a known, proven, bottom half of the league QB. He might be high-end mediocre, but he is mediocre nonetheless. 

the league is a QB wasteland. can a one-time 5000 yard guy really be bottom half? if he is bottom half, then he is, as you say, the top of that heap.

the league is a QB wasteland. can a one-time 5000 yard guy really be bottom half? if he is bottom half, then he is, as you say, the top of that heap.

One time 5000 yard guy in 7 years pro. He's really a 4000 yard guy good for mid-20s TDs and upper-teens INTs. Is that better than what the Bills have had for the last 15 years? Sure is, but there are plenty of holes in his game. His accuracy is Fitzpatrick-like inconsistent combined with Cutler-like decision making. He has a big arm and can push the ball down field (throwing to Megatron is, of course, helpful in that regard), which makes the yardage numbers look good. But the totality of his game is very much middle of the pack.

The problem with Sammy is that once he finally gets to be 100% healthy, his contract will be up and he'll leave this city faster than Lynch. It was a terrible pick at the time and it looks even worse now. Oline and QB you idiots in Management, figure it out already. Are we the only team that puts so much stock in RB and WR? Get....A....Clue

Story on Greg Hardy's arrest for assaulting his girlfriend: http://deadspin.com/this-is-why-nfl-star-greg-hardy-was-arrested-for-assaul-1739117634

I must say, I am very numb to most off-field behavior of professional athletes, but boy am I glad the Bills don't employ this guy. I honestly don't know how anyone could defend a team with this guy on the roster.

There is a disturbing number of real sociopaths in the NFL.

There is a disturbing number of real sociopaths in the NFL.

Or, taking the glass half full approach when viewing it in the context that the NFL is overwhelmingly populated w/ extremely large men whose vocations are to kick the ever living snot out of other extremely large men; there are a surprisingly small # of acknowledged sociopaths in the NFL.

One time 5000 yard guy in 7 years pro. He's really a 4000 yard guy good for mid-20s TDs and upper-teens INTs. Is that better than what the Bills have had for the last 15 years? Sure is, but there are plenty of holes in his game. His accuracy is Fitzpatrick-like inconsistent combined with Cutler-like decision making. He has a big arm and can push the ball down field (throwing to Megatron is, of course, helpful in that regard), which makes the yardage numbers look good. But the totality of his game is very much middle of the pack.

5000 is near record breaking. Calling him a 4000 yard QB is a major compliment. He's a phenomenal talent.

The Bills haven't had a QB on his level since JK (Bledsoe was closest but wasn't good long enough here). He throws WRs open constantly. And as soon as Calvin Johnson went down last year he turned Golden Tate into an MVP-caliber WR. This guy is a stud. Gimme.

5000 is near record breaking. Calling him a 4000 yard QB is a major compliment. He's a phenomenal talent.

The Bills haven't had a QB on his level since JK (Bledsoe was closest but wasn't good long enough here). He throws WRs open constantly. And as soon as Calvin Johnson went down last year he turned Golden Tate into an MVP-caliber WR. This guy is a stud. Gimme.

A stud? Golden Tate into an MVP-caliber WR? Good lord your hot takes know no bounds sometimes. Tate wasn't doing anything in Detroit he wasn't doing in Seattle; the only difference was he got a whole bunch of targets whereas Seattle was a very run-oriented offense. TD numbers and YPC were no better than the two previous seasons, the only difference is he got 142 targets as opposed to 98 and 68. Shocking how that can increase total yards.

Let me put it this way: if Stafford is anywhere close to as good as you think he is, and he's only 27, the Lions may move on...because? 

I honestly think being a Bills fan has annihilated your ability to separate legitimately good quarterbacks from the average-but-better-than-Buffalo grouping. He's absolutely better than what we've had for 15 years, and he's most likely better than Tyrod will end up looking by the end of the year, but let's pull the hype train to the side of the road and regain our composure.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

A stud? Golden Tate into an MVP-caliber WR? Good lord your hot takes know no bounds sometimes. Tate wasn't doing anything in Detroit he wasn't doing in Seattle; the only difference was he got a whole bunch of targets whereas Seattle was a very run-oriented offense. TD numbers are YPC were no better than the two previous seasons, the only difference is he got 142 targets as opposed to 98 and 68. Shocking how that can increase total yards.

Let me put it this way: if Stafford is anywhere close to as good as you think he is, and he's only 27, the Lions may move on...because? 

I honestly think being a Bills fan has annihilated your ability to separate legitimately good quarterbacks from the average-but-better-than-Buffalo grouping. He's absolutely better than what we've had for 15 years, and he's most likely better than Tyrod will end up looking by the end of the year, but let's pull the hype train to the side of the road and regain our composure.

Golden Tate was absolutely an MVP candidate last season... The end of the season was obviously all Rodgers-Watt, but Tate was discussed during the season.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/10/27/detroit-lions-three-questions-drew-sharp/17985579/

(I know it's a Detroit source, but they aren't the only ones that discussed the possibility during the season)

Regardless, Tate's statline when asked to step up as a number one receiver was near the top of the league. It proves that Stafford isn't just relying on Calvin Johnson for stats.

Why would the Lions move on? Well, they're looking to hit the reset button. They're likely going to be picking in the top five which will give them the opportunity to pick a new QB on a rookie contract that a new regime can call their own. That doesn't mean Stafford is terrible. I do believe they're making a mistake if they move him, but they're not moving him because his some bottom-feeding garbage QB.

It's funny that you're throwing so many unwarranted remarks in there because of my evaluation of two players (Stafford and Tannehill). These are the two QBs you're likely to get the most legitimate debate about. Maybe Andy Dalton would generate more, but the opinions of both are going to vary from person to person/fanbase to fanbase.

I PREFER the route of rookie QB, but it's going to take more assets than Stafford plus mean we're going to need more patience/likely shutting the window for this team.

Edited by Hoss

A stud? Golden Tate into an MVP-caliber WR? Good lord your hot takes know no bounds sometimes. Tate wasn't doing anything in Detroit he wasn't doing in Seattle; the only difference was he got a whole bunch of targets whereas Seattle was a very run-oriented offense. TD numbers and YPC were no better than the two previous seasons, the only difference is he got 142 targets as opposed to 98 and 68. Shocking how that can increase total yards.

It kinda depends on what it would cost to get him, though, innit?

If it isn't an arm and a leg, wouldn't you like to see Stafford and TT fight out for the job next summer?

Golden Tate was absolutely an MVP candidate last season... The end of the season was obviously all Rodgers-Watt, but Tate was discussed during the season.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/10/27/detroit-lions-three-questions-drew-sharp/17985579/

(I know it's a Detroit source, but they aren't the only ones that discussed the possibility during the season)

Regardless, Tate's statline when asked to step up as a number one receiver was near the top of the league. It proves that Stafford isn't just relying on Calvin Johnson for stats.

Why would the Lions move on? Well, they're looking to hit the reset button. They're likely going to be picking in the top five which will give them the opportunity to pick a new QB on a rookie contract that a new regime can call their own. That doesn't mean Stafford is terrible. I do believe they're making a mistake if they move him, but they're not moving him because his some bottom-feeding garbage QB.

It's funny that you're throwing so many unwarranted remarks in there because of my evaluation of two players (Stafford and Tannehill). These are the two QBs you're likely to get the most legitimate debate about. Maybe Andy Dalton would generate more, but the opinions of both are going to vary from person to person/fanbase to fanbase.

I PREFER the route of rookie QB, but it's going to take more assets than Stafford plus mean we're going to need more patience/likely shutting the window for this team.

Tate being an MVP candidate (and let's be real no WR is winning MVP or getting a real sniff with merely very good WR numbers) is quite a bit different than him being an MVP candidate because of Stafford.

And they're not moving "a stud" just for the sake of regime change either when he's only 27 years old and QBs can be effective into their mid-late 30s these days. At that age you can build an entire new team around him. He's either as good as you say and they're not moving him, or he's quite a bit less than you make of him.

As long as you continue to overrate middle of the pack QBs, I can toss around whatever I want :p

Not sure the cost will be less than a rookie if you consider the cap implications of Stafford's contract. We may have to cut bait with proven NFL talent to make it work.

It kinda depends on what it would cost to get him, though, innit?

If it isn't an arm and a leg, wouldn't you like to see Stafford and TT fight out for the job next summer?

Not only the direct cost, but what contracts we'd have to dump to fit his. I'd be amazingly surprised if the trade cost were low enough to warrant it. If TT looks good the rest of the way, I'm not willing to pay a lot. If TT lays an egg the rest of the way, we might just be in position to draft a guy, lowering my willingness to spend assets for Stafford.

Percy Harvin to IR.

Shocking. Only not.

Still can't believe things went from a hey we finally have a playoff team to an oh no we suck again!

Only for those who like to overreact. Lot of football left to play.

TB, I'm really glad I've been able to recalibrate your QB sensors.

You disappoint me. I thought for sure your post would be extolling the MVP virtue of ND alumn Golden Tate.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.