Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Without a doubt. AND if we do in fact start climbing and becoming a real team again while Vegas does not win the cup and in fact falters, well then lots of people will question him. Here's hoping. 

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

That's a nice fantasy for a Sabres fan but the fact of the matter is that the Knights are a good team and Eichel is a good player and he might be enough to put them over the top.  It doesn't matter to me as long as the Sabres get over the top and win a Cup in the near future as well.  But yeah I think we're all hoping for Eich to have a substandard career from here out just to justify our team kicking him to the curb.

Eichel is practicing with at least one key player, maybe two, that won't be there in a couple weeks because he's now on the team.  He is literally the reason LV lost Tuch and Krebs, so this situation may have already created a rift in the room and puts a huge amount of pressure on both Eichel and GMMC to make sure he plays soon and plays well.  Eichel isn't necessarily known to be a good guy in the locker room so I'm very interested to see how this plays out and am curious if he strolls into practice like LaFlamme

image.png.d2d7c96c0b2cc8031e004ef580347a9b.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

That's a nice fantasy for a Sabres fan but the fact of the matter is that the Knights are a good team and Eichel is a good player and he might be enough to put them over the top.  It doesn't matter to me as long as the Sabres get over the top and win a Cup in the near future as well.  But yeah I think we're all hoping for Eich to have a substandard career from here out just to justify our team kicking him to the curb.

I think it has been said in this thread earlier that a lot of us aren't hoping he has a substandard career, and a lot of us don't think they 'kicked him to the curb'.  He wanted out...justified or not..you aren't 'kicking someone to the curb' when they aren't buying into the way you are building your club.

And as I and at least a handful of people have said in this thread, we don't hope he has a substandard career...many of us don't really care at all.  If he wins the cup, fine. If he wins and MVP, fine. If he never gets 80 points in a single season again, fine.  There is something that for a lot of people, they just didn't 'connect' with Eichel the way a fan should connect with a franchise player, and because of that it is easier when it comes time to see him leave.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

You got that reversed; it was Eichel who kicked the team to the curb. Wasn’t part of the solution, demanded a trade, and quit on them. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Eichel is practicing with at least one key player, maybe two, that won't be there in a couple weeks because he's now on the team.  He is literally the reason LV lost Tuch and Krebs, so this situation may have already created a rift in the room and puts a huge amount of pressure on both Eichel and GMMC to make sure he plays soon and plays well.  Eichel isn't necessarily known to be a good guy in the locker room so I'm very interested to see how this plays out and am curious if he strolls into practice like LaFlamme

image.png.d2d7c96c0b2cc8031e004ef580347a9b.png

Eichel knows how to play the humble star. Remember when he first got here and insisted on wearing Rip’s weird number for prospects until he “earned” his jersey? 

I’ll be interested to see how he handles any adversity that crops up moving forward. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Eichel knows how to play the humble star. Remember when he first got here and insisted on wearing Rip’s weird number for prospects until he “earned” his jersey? 

I’ll be interested to see how he handles any adversity that crops up moving forward. 

For me that's the thing. I could be wrong about it, but he always came across to me as if he felt a sort of sense of entitlement. and when things went south he didn't take it on himself as a "leader."  Naming him captain is what sunk us, I've always believed that and still do. The guys we had lacked a work ethic and lacked accountability. I doubt that's changed with Jack. The Vegas show will probably fuel that ego bigger but we finally get to see if he elevates in the playoffs. Maybe he will. Maybe he will be a different guy surrounded by that team. maybe he's older and wiser. But I doubt it.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

For me that's the thing. I could be wrong about it, but he always came across to me as if he felt a sort of sense of entitlement. and when things went south he didn't take it on himself as a "leader."  Naming him captain is what sunk us, I've always believed that and still do. The guys we had lacked a work ethic and lacked accountability. I doubt that's changed with Jack. The Vegas show will probably fuel that ego bigger but we finally get to see if he elevates in the playoffs. Maybe he will. Maybe he will be a different guy surrounded by that team. maybe he's older and wiser. But I doubt it.  

Battling through career threatening injury can definitely affect one's outlook & work ethic.  Lemieux became a man possessed after the back issues & Hodgkins.  Good thing for Gretzky he didn't have that same drive when he was younger because at minimum he'd have company in the 200 point club & he'd very likely have a few fewer records.

Similar thing happened to Barasso after his daughter got leukemia.  Had she stayed a happy, healthy kid the Pens might not have won their 1st 2 Stanley Cups.

Don't know that it'll give Eichel a new focus, but it could.  And that said, don't believe he didn't want to win or didn't care.  He definitely was the reason for many of their few W's.  Do believe he was not a good choice as captain.

37 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What I’m really looking forward to is Eichel returning and scoring a goal and two assists in his first game and someone coming on here with an eleven paragraph “I Called It” diatribe about how the team is doomed for eternity.😁

What I am really looking forward to is a time when the Sabres are good enough that we don’t care if the players that are gone are succeeding or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The expectations in Vegas are sky high and will be even higher if he takes off.

My take on it is it will not be a success unless they win the Cup within a couple of years. They have had deep runs in the playoffs but have never gotten over the hump. He is expected to get them there but I don’t think they can with Lehner in net. Jack has never played playoff hockey and the physical play will test his spine, in more ways than one.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So if we can be the team that takes on one of their contracts for next to nothing do we add that guy into the trade? Cause in a way it would. imo KA should certainly be discussing it. 

It’s possible, granted not very likely, that GMKA already worked that as a part of the original trade.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Weave said:

What I am really looking forward to is a time when the Sabres are good enough that we don’t care if the players that are gone are succeeding or not.

I must be a rare bird then. I couldn’t care less if ex-players win a cup, have career years, or have their worst year ever. If I liked the player while they were a Sabre, and they didn’t leave in a drama filled jerk store way … I’ll continue to like the player and wish him well on their next team. But it’s never bothered me if they succeed elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It’s possible, granted not very likely, that GMKA already worked that as a part of the original trade.  

Could be though. Might have been done in an IOU sort of way, allowing Buffalo to pick up less money in total and allowing Vegas to keep that body on the roster until Eichel was ready. It's possible. 

18 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I can't help but see shades of the bad guy in home alone when I see Eichel Home Alone Hello GIF by Freeform

Awesome, now we know who'll replace Jeanneret when looking back and narrating the Sabres version of the Wonder Years.  (Maybe the Blunder Years?")

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.