Jump to content

Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation


LGR4GM
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Digger said:

We should remember that we had no idea what we traded for when we got Hasek.  Everyone thought he had no style because he was flopping all over the ice and dropping his stick.  Otherwise we wouldn't have wasted a trade getting a worn out Grant Fuhr.  We should have left Hasek in net for the next series after the Mayday goal and win over the Bruins (but I digress).  

Closest young goalie today might be Spencer Knight as the next one.  It will be interesting to see him develop this season with Florida.  I would love to find another Hasek.

Another interesting thought might have come from the Ryan O'Reilly trade.  What if we had got Jordan Binnington in the trade?  He hadn't had much impact with the Blues before that year and was an older prospect.  I'm not sure it would have been hard to get him.

But then we wouldn't have gotten Hutton!

And Binnington hasn't really been that great since the Cup run....

 

I do think there are much less 'Franchise Goalies' out there today and its leading to many teams going the route of getting a 1A/1B tandem with good but not great guys to carry the work load. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

For multiple reasons.  Customer relations, additional premiums, and also probably avoiding long-term litigation.  For example.  Let's say Jack uses the medical clause in the CBA and goes to arbitration.  While the prevailing wisdom is that this surgery Jack wants is experimental, it's not like it's brand new.  Johns Hopkins has a whole webpage devoted to the procedure.  One of the first things you learn in law school is that going to court or arbitration is never a sure thing.  If Jack wins in arbitration and the procedure fails ending Jack's career the insurance company is likely to get sued by the Sabres if they deny the claim since the Sabres had no right any longer to stop the procedure.  Specialty insurance is a very specialized and competitive industry with a limited customer base.  It's usually better to work with your customers then get sued by them.

If it goes to arbitration and the Sabres lose, the Sabres have still met their end of the contract; I'm not sure why you think that, if it didn't go well, the insurance company wouldn't pay out.  Your scenario just seems nonsensical to me.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

What about the Redwings? They traded for a franchise goalie from Buffalo......

....and rode him to a Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought.... but the longer this drags on with no news from either side, I believe the less likely it is that he actually needs surgery.

KA mentioned he'd have no problem with Jack being at camp.   

How could he confidently say that if the medical staff has come to the conclusion that surgery is required?

If he absolutely needs surgery why wouldn't he have filed a medical grievance by now?   A 2 month recovery from today would mean he misses the start of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Just a thought.... but the longer this drags on with no news from either side, I believe the less likely it is that he actually needs surgery.

KA mentioned he'd have no problem with Jack being at camp.   

How could he confidently say that if the medical staff has come to the conclusion that surgery is required?

If he absolutely needs surgery why wouldn't he have filed a medical grievance by now?   A 2 month recovery from today would mean he misses the start of the season.

They're waiting to see how the pressure campaign works first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They're waiting to see how the pressure campaign works first.

They don't have time to wait, a medical grievance hearing could take 6 months or more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, pi2000 said:

"regular old Fluery" just won the Vezina.    IMO he's a franchise goalie, and he was traded.    That's my point.... franchise goalies can be had via trade.   Nothing to do with generational level talent.

As I said, you can count them on one hand. If not a shop teacher's hand. Vasilevskiy? Sure. Who's next, Hellebuyck? I wouldn't trade him for Helle. 

Well I might now. But not back when this conversation started months ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Jack wants out bad enough he should just go and get the surgery.   It would violate his contract but what is the worst the Sabres could do to him, void his contract?  Ask for some bonus to be returned?  From Jack’s point of view that would be a win.  He becomes a FA, he gets the surgery he wants and the Sabres get nothing for him.

Again -- you keep saying this, but there is no change in the underlying facts.  If Eichel gets the new surgery without the Sabres' approval and it doesn't work, he's lost $50MM.  He's not going to take that risk -- at least not anytime soon, and definitely not this summer.  He wants either the Sabres or whoever trades for him to take the risk.

 

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Why hasn’t Jack exercised His Right to take the Sabres to Medical Arbitration as He can do per the CBA? 

 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Just a thought.... but the longer this drags on with no news from either side, I believe the less likely it is that he actually needs surgery.

KA mentioned he'd have no problem with Jack being at camp.   

How could he confidently say that if the medical staff has come to the conclusion that surgery is required?

If he absolutely needs surgery why wouldn't he have filed a medical grievance by now?   A 2 month recovery from today would mean he misses the start of the season.

My guess is that he thinks it's pretty likely that the arbitrator would say he can have the standard fusion surgery but not the disk replacement surgery, and he wants the disk replacement surgery -- and once the arbitrator issues that ruling, Jack's position in arguing for the disk replacement is much weaker.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Jack wants out bad enough he should just go and get the surgery.   It would violate his contract but what is the worst the Sabres could do to him, void his contract?  Ask for some bonus to be returned?  From Jack’s point of view that would be a win.  He becomes a FA, he gets the surgery he wants and the Sabres get nothing for him.

 

57 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Again -- you keep saying this, but there is no change in the underlying facts.  If Eichel gets the new surgery without the Sabres' approval and it doesn't work, he's lost $50MM.  He's not going to take that risk -- at least not anytime soon, and definitely not this summer.  He wants either the Sabres or whoever trades for him to take the risk.

 

 

My guess is that he thinks it's pretty likely that the arbitrator would say he can have the standard fusion surgery but not the disk replacement surgery, and he wants the disk replacement surgery -- and once the arbitrator issues that ruling, Jack's position in arguing for the disk replacement is much weaker.

I've only said this once, but did you read my post?  "If Jack wants out bad enough"    This is Jack's nuclear option.  If he takes it, yes he'll likely lose all the guarantees and that is my point.  However it gives him full control of the situation going forward.  Right now he wants his cake and to eat it to.  He wants him money, his surgery and a trade and so far he and his agent are doing everything to make it impossible to accomplish.  They know the Sabres have an insurance policy on his contract.   At this point it seems to me that Jack is trying to screw the team.  Well F-him.  Stay strong KA.  

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things that are thought to be true:

  • Calgary wants Eichel and wants to ditch Tkachuk.
  • The Blues want Tkachuk and want to ditch Tarasenko
  • The Sabres want to ditch Eichel and they have a ton of cap space.
  • Tarasenko is pretty much worthless at his current contract

Why not a three-way trade:

  • Flames trade Tkachuk, Pelletier and a 1st and get Eichel and 2nd
  • Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko
  • Blues trade Thomas, Tarasenko and a 1st and get Tkachuk

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

  • Like (+1) 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Things that are thought to be true:

  • Calgary wants Eichel and wants to ditch Tkachuk.
  • The Blues want Tkachuk and want to ditch Tarasenko
  • The Sabres want to ditch Eichel and they have a ton of cap space.
  • Tarasenko is pretty much worthless at his current contract

Why not a three-way trade:

  • Flames trade Tkachuk, Pelletier and a 1st and get Eichel and 2nd
  • Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko
  • Blues trade Thomas, Tarasenko and a 1st and get Tkachuk

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

Y'know.... that's not bad. Potential to flip tarasenko for another first+ too would be appealing. You need to get on the phone to KA!!

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Things that are thought to be true:

  • Calgary wants Eichel and wants to ditch Tkachuk.
  • The Blues want Tkachuk and want to ditch Tarasenko
  • The Sabres want to ditch Eichel and they have a ton of cap space.
  • Tarasenko is pretty much worthless at his current contract

Why not a three-way trade:

  • Flames trade Tkachuk, Pelletier and a 1st and get Eichel and 2nd
  • Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko
  • Blues trade Thomas, Tarasenko and a 1st and get Tkachuk

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

This is not going to happen. Until Jack's injury status is clarified I don't see any meaningful offers being made for him. Ask yourself why no team in the league (so far) has offered one of their top tier center prospects or young centers currently in a trade package for him? The clock is ticking. Assuming he gets a fusion surgery the recovery time is four months. That's how long it will take for the treated area to solidify. On top of that because of the nature of his surgery he won't be able to be physically active during his rehab. That means his conditioning will take another month or two to reach a level that will allow him to play. 

I want to be wrong on my prediction about when he will be able to play again. I just don't see him back on the ice this year. And witnessing the responses from other teams in making offers they don't seem to be willing to risk any of their valuable assets for a health gamble on another player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Things that are thought to be true:

  • Calgary wants Eichel and wants to ditch Tkachuk.
  • The Blues want Tkachuk and want to ditch Tarasenko
  • The Sabres want to ditch Eichel and they have a ton of cap space.
  • Tarasenko is pretty much worthless at his current contract

Why not a three-way trade:

  • Flames trade Tkachuk, Pelletier and a 1st and get Eichel and 2nd
  • Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko
  • Blues trade Thomas, Tarasenko and a 1st and get Tkachuk

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

I would say this: Not sure if this specifically this will get done, but a 3 way trade for Buffalo IMO seems to be the best course of action to satisfy what KA will want in a return, even if that means giving up a 2nd rounder: Since about only 20% of 2nd round picks play even over 100 career NHL games , I would be willing to do that all day to get what the Sabres want to get.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Things that are thought to be true:

  • Calgary wants Eichel and wants to ditch Tkachuk.
  • The Blues want Tkachuk and want to ditch Tarasenko
  • The Sabres want to ditch Eichel and they have a ton of cap space.
  • Tarasenko is pretty much worthless at his current contract

Why not a three-way trade:

  • Flames trade Tkachuk, Pelletier and a 1st and get Eichel and 2nd
  • Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko
  • Blues trade Thomas, Tarasenko and a 1st and get Tkachuk

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

From the speculations I’ve read, CAL doesn’t want to get rid of Tkachuk, it’s Monahan that they’d want to part with. 
🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pre-injury Tarasenko was an elite first-line RW who was also one of the most exciting players in the NHL.  But he's played 24 games and 10 games in the last 2 seasons, has a possibly permanently damaged shoulder.  He's got 2 years left on his contract at $9.5MM per year.

It won't happen, but Thomas, who is a pretty solid young center, and a healed Tarasenko with something to prove and showing the way to the young Russians coming up in the system, plus picks would be a great return for Eichel.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Things that are thought to be true:

  • Calgary wants Eichel and wants to ditch Tkachuk.
  • The Blues want Tkachuk and want to ditch Tarasenko
  • The Sabres want to ditch Eichel and they have a ton of cap space.
  • Tarasenko is pretty much worthless at his current contract

Why not a three-way trade:

  • Flames trade Tkachuk, Pelletier and a 1st and get Eichel and 2nd
  • Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko
  • Blues trade Thomas, Tarasenko and a 1st and get Tkachuk

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

It seems as though the Blues have no takers for Tarasenko right now, might be a bad move for the Sabres to pick him up with intentions of trading him later. So many are worried about Jacks' NMC , why take on another , potentially worse contract with a NMC?

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

This is not going to happen. Until Jack's injury status is clarified I don't see any meaningful offers being made for him. Ask yourself why no team in the league (so far) has offered one of their top tier center prospects or young centers currently in a trade package for him? The clock is ticking. Assuming he gets a fusion surgery the recovery time is four months. That's how long it will take for the treated area to solidify. On top of that because of the nature of his surgery he won't be able to be physically active during his rehab. That means his conditioning will take another month or two to reach a level that will allow him to play. 

I want to be wrong on my prediction about when he will be able to play again. I just don't see him back on the ice this year. And witnessing the responses from other teams in making offers they don't seem to be willing to risk any of their valuable assets for a health gamble on another player. 

 

With respect, if your position is Jack doesn't get traded until he's proven healthy, you should probably stay away from this thread until he's proven healthy.

 

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

From the speculations I’ve read, CAL doesn’t want to get rid of Tkachuk, it’s Monahan that they’d want to part with. 
🤷‍♂️

They aren't broadcasting it, but Calgary and Tkachuk are done with each other.

He's accepting his huge QA next year and going to UFA to the team of his choice after. Unless he's moved to a team he likes first.

Not many teams will take the risk, but St. Louis is one, reportedly because it's a place he wants to be.

We are talking three teams here with assets that — for various reasons — are tougher to move than their history indicates they should be. That's why the deal might make sense.

 

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The pre-injury Tarasenko was an elite first-line RW who was also one of the most exciting players in the NHL.  But he's played 24 games and 10 games in the last 2 seasons, has a possibly permanently damaged shoulder.  He's got 2 years left on his contract at $9.5MM per year.

It won't happen, but Thomas, who is a pretty solid young center, and a healed Tarasenko with something to prove and showing the way to the young Russians coming up in the system, plus picks would be a great return for Eichel.

 

 

10 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

It seems as though the Blues have no takers for Tarasenko right now, might be a bad move for the Sabres to pick him up with intentions of trading him later. So many are worried about Jacks' NMC , why take on another , potentially worse contract with a NMC?

Tarasenko is very much on the market right now.

He's done with the Blues over perceived poor treatment of his injury, and they are done with him over his return on investment. He's essentially available as a cap dump, but the expansion draft showed you can't give him away after his past few years.

No team in the league is willing to take him on at full value, but at $5 million he may have some appeal.

I doubt Tarasenko waives to play for the Sabres, or that the Sabres want him to play for the Sabres, but he may waive if he knows he's going to be immediately flipped to a more attractive destination, which, of course, would have to be worked out in advance.

Given Tarasenko's negative value, maybe it's the Blues who should be adding a sweetener to the Flames, not the Sabres.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...