Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Just heard a rumor on Instigators. So I’ll pass it along and add my own totally speculative thoughts. 

A ‘NHL source’ said that Boston was calling KA every two weeks about Jack. That sounds unrealistic. I’d swap them Jack for Charlie MacAvoy and a goalie but doubt that happens. 

I recall that KA was trying to get a goalie out of Boston when he traded Hall, but Boston would not budge. Which is curious, if Boston liked their young goalies so much why sign Linus? With Rask that gives them four NHL goalies. Did they do that to screw with us and make us want to make a deal for Jack? 

Sounds too crazy to be true. 

Anyone pushing that is either pulling someone's leg or high on bath salts. The broooinz have the single worst prospect pool in the entire sport AND would be giving Jack his dream move, if you designed a parody of the worst trade partner possible this would be it.

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Jack straight up for a franchise goalie. I'd do it and run. It solves so many problems.

Which franchise goalie, how do we know we can retain him, and what about the 3 prospects we have already?  

A stop gap goalie is fine, along with a good player and some futures.  None of this is going to happen anyway.  Be prepared for Jack to sit on IR.  

• Like (+1) 1

If Jack wants out bad enough he should just go and get the surgery.   It would violate his contract but what is the worst the Sabres could do to him, void his contract?  Ask for some bonus to be returned?  From Jack’s point of view that would be a win.  He becomes a FA, he gets the surgery he wants and the Sabres get nothing for him.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Jack wants out bad enough he should just go and get the surgery.   It would violate his contract but what is the worst the Sabres could do to him, void his contract?  Ask for some bonus to be returned?  From Jack’s point of view that would be a win.  He becomes a FA, he gets the surgery he wants and the Sabres get nothing for him.

If he does that the team won't void the contract, they will simply suspend him without pay until he is cleared to return. If the loophole you described really existed they obviously would've already done it.

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Why hasn’t Jack exercised His Right to take the Sabres to Medical Arbitration as He can do per the CBA? 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Because this is more about him getting traded than it is about the surgery.

Or they know that they'd lose

• Like (+1) 7

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If he does that the team won't void the contract, they will simply suspend him without pay until he is cleared to return. If the loophole you described really existed they obviously would've already done it.

No necessarily.  Always easier to work things out then take the nuclear option.  If he takes the option I describe the Sabres obviously don't have to void his contract, but the insurance policy they have on the contract likely gets voided meaning the Sabres would be on the hook for his contract if the surgery fails and Jack's career is over.  This mess has so many issues and side issues, but I do believe that the scenario I laid out is Jack's nuclear option if he chooses to take it.

As to medical arbitration, I think Jack loses because the surgery is deemed experimental.  

The best solution to this mess is for the Jack, the Sabres and the Sabres' insurance company to get together and work out a deal.   

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jack certainly wants out of Buffalo but that isn't his biggest concern. Far from it. The issue that is consuming him more than wanting to play elsewhere is his health situation. He very well knows that if he fully regains his health and gets back on the ice to play at his pre-injury level that he will be on the market with many suitors. Jack may be young and impetuous but he isn't a dummy. He may have found a doctor/s promoting a procedure that will quickly get him back on the ice but he and his advisers know very well that the predominant medical view from the best surgeons who deal with his type of injury are recommending a procedure that will keep him off the ice for maybe this season. 

Jack can get any procedure he wants. But after the procedure there are no guarantees that he will be able to return to form, and maybe even not play again. So I don't see him cavalierly breaking his contract and giving up his guaranteed money. Any way you look at this issue it is a very complicated situation for the player from a health and playing standpoint. The bottom line is that there are no easy solutions. 

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Why hasn’t Jack exercised His Right to take the Sabres to Medical Arbitration as He can do per the CBA? 

Do you think at the moment it is more important to Jack to get traded than get treated?

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because the Sabres will sue his butt? 

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Because the Sabres will sue his butt? 

For what?  There are no paid but unearned bonuses in his contract to be returned.  The remaining 50 mill liability to the Sabres would be gone.  The trade value for an injured player is zero as we are seeing.   Jack in theory could also sue the Sabres for poor medical care.  The team is terrible with Jack or without and therefore there is no lost revenue to the Sabres.  

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Jack certainly wants out of Buffalo but that isn't his biggest concern. Far from it. The issue that is consuming him more than wanting to play elsewhere is his health situation. He very well knows that if he fully regains his health and gets back on the ice to play at his pre-injury level that he will be on the market with many suitors. Jack may be young and impetuous but he isn't a dummy. He may have found a doctor/s promoting a procedure that will quickly get him back on the ice but he and his advisers know very well that the predominant medical view from the best surgeons who deal with his type of injury are recommending a procedure that will keep him off the ice for maybe this season. 

Jack can get any procedure he wants. But after the procedure there are no guarantees that he will be able to return to form, and maybe even not play again. So I don't see him cavalierly breaking his contract and giving up his guaranteed money. Any way you look at this issue it is a very complicated situation for the player from a health and playing standpoint. The bottom line is that there are no easy solutions. 

Exactly. Jack wants the Sabres to take all the risk and guarantee his money.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Jack straight up for a franchise goalie. I'd do it and run. It solves so many problems.

Considering the circumstances, I'd do that too - problem is you can count the amount of "franchise goalies" in the NHL on one hand 

• Like (+1) 1