Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I whole heartedly disagree.  If he didn’t need surgery, everyone would say so.  It would be in everyone’s best interest.

Why do you think that Eichel, his agents, his doctor, and Kevyn Adams are all lying about him needing surgery??

Just because he is doing offseason skates/practices with other NHLers doesn’t mean that he doesn’t need surgery.

I think this is a difference in terminology. First, health is a relative term. I’m a physician who specializes in seeing patients with the disease ankylosing spondylitis, which is an inflammatory condition affecting the spine. Jack does not “need” surgery. If he did, he would’ve already had it. By all medical definitions, if he does end up having surgery (which could very well be the case) it will be a completely elective procedure.

I’m not a neurosurgeon, but I’ve seen patients his age with all sorts of spinal pathology, including cervical herniations. If Jack didn’t have a $50M contract and didn’t play pro hockey, I think it’s unlikely he would have any procedure, let alone an ADR. These seem to either self-resolve or the patients don’t seem to that bothered by it. It may be a completely different story if he was older than 40 or 50. Now, I have not seen Jack’s medical record (and only a small handful of people have) nor am I a surgeon, so cannot make any further definitive statements. I don’t know if he’ll end up having surgery (it would completely solve his issue though). It’s fairly unlikely, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him on the ice at TC.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 7

14 hours ago, kas23 said:

I think this is a difference in terminology. First, health is a relative term. I’m a physician who specializes in seeing patients with the disease ankylosing spondylitis, which is an inflammatory condition affecting the spine. Jack does not “need” surgery. If he did, he would’ve already had it. By all medical definitions, if he does end up having surgery (which could very well be the case) it will be a completely elective procedure.

I’m not a neurosurgeon, but I’ve seen patients his age with all sorts of spinal pathology, including cervical herniations. If Jack didn’t have a $50M contract and didn’t play pro hockey, I think it’s unlikely he would have any procedure, let alone an ADR. These seem to either self-resolve or the patients don’t seem to that bothered by it. It may be a completely different story if he was older than 40 or 50. Now, I have not seen Jack’s medical record (and only a small handful of people have) nor am I a surgeon, so cannot make any further definitive statements. I don’t know if he’ll end up having surgery (it would completely solve his issue though). It’s fairly unlikely, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him on the ice at TC.

I have had surgery for spondylitis a long time ago and then disc surgery maybe a dozen years after that. Each surgery allowed me to return to normal pain free living. Much of that health outcome can be attributed to a healthy lifestyle that included regular workouts. What I can say is that after the surgeries that gave me relief there are things that I could not do and would not do, such as contact sports. 

For the sake of this discussion let's put aside the surgery that Jack prefers and discuss the fusion surgery that is recommended by the doctors in the field. If you look at the recovery time of 4 months for this surgery and you consider when it might happen it seems more likely that Jack won't play this season. I said this before and it drew harsh criticism. I'm sticking to this assessment. Even if he does return to the ice this season it probably will be sometime late in the second half of the season. And if he does play it will most likely be on a very limited basis.

It isn't a surprise to me why a top 10-12 player in this league who is on the market is not attracting much in the way of offers. So far not one team is willing to give up a top tier young center prospect for him. That is an indication that other teams also are wary about his current and future health status. 

I hope my pessimistic view of this situation is wrong for Jack and the organization's sake. It seems to me that maybe the best outcome is for Jack to have the recommended surgery and then undergo the extensive rehab in order to get back to form. Then he should be placed back on the market. However, if he does get traded before the surgery I will be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, jsb said:

I think @LGR4GM and @Thorny mommies took their phones away from them again.

Wouldn't be a bad trade off if it meant I was back at home again. My mom is the best. The appreciation only grows exponentially once you are out on your own doing your own...everything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just heard a rumor on Instigators. So I’ll pass it along and add my own totally speculative thoughts. 

A ‘NHL source’ said that Boston was calling KA every two weeks about Jack. That sounds unrealistic. I’d swap them Jack for Charlie MacAvoy and a goalie but doubt that happens. 

I recall that KA was trying to get a goalie out of Boston when he traded Hall, but Boston would not budge. Which is curious, if Boston liked their young goalies so much why sign Linus? With Rask that gives them four NHL goalies. Did they do that to screw with us and make us want to make a deal for Jack? 

Sounds too crazy to be true. 

Without any snark, I honestly don't see the Bruins having the pieces.

The only piece 23 or younger that moves the needle is McAvoy and that's not happening.

An offer of any three of Lysell, Swayman, Frederic, Vaakaninen, Studnicka, or Beecher plus a 1st doesn't touch the trash the Rangers want to dump on us, and those are literally their best young assets

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Just heard a rumor on Instigators. So I’ll pass it along and add my own totally speculative thoughts. 

A ‘NHL source’ said that Boston was calling KA every two weeks about Jack. That sounds unrealistic. I’d swap them Jack for Charlie MacAvoy and a goalie but doubt that happens. 

I recall that KA was trying to get a goalie out of Boston when he traded Hall, but Boston would not budge. Which is curious, if Boston liked their young goalies so much why sign Linus? With Rask that gives them four NHL goalies. Did they do that to screw with us and make us want to make a deal for Jack? 

It does sound crazy but Jack going to Boston would be very Buffalo. I can’t envision the trade but I can envision him in that jersey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What if they trade Jack for a very good goalie? Wouldn't that be enough, as it arguably (hate that term, but there it is) is the team's biggest problem?

Not as the main piece but it should be included. I’ve been openly saying all along that I want our trade partner to be Minn so we can get Kahkonen and Rossi. They didn’t protect Kahkonen in the expansion draft so it should be a possibility. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What if they trade Jack for a very good goalie? Wouldn't that be enough, as it arguably (hate that term, but there it is) is the team's biggest problem?

I'm all over moving him for John Gibson, along with something like Comtois and next year's first.

(And look at you adding to this thread)

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Trade Jack for a player at the most important position? 

They’d have to toss a little more in, though and the goalie would have to be signed for awhile, good and want to play here. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I assume the goalie being discussed last year might have been Daniel Vladar.  He was moved to Calgary after they signed Ullmark.

I can't envision them having enough top end A+ prospects to make the trade.  They also don't have much room salary wise so would expect lots of money coming back in the deal.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Give me McAvoy, Swayman, Beecher/1st and Debrusk and l do the deal. DeBrusk for salary dump only. 

Why?? Top 4 dmen set for next 8 years and you get a decent GK for now and Beecher is big and should end up a good 4th line Center. No McAvoy no deal, l really don't want to deal with the Bruins either, btw.