Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Eichel ending up in Buffalo’s downstate media market competitor will absolutely crush whatever is left of the fanbase’s buy-in on Pegulaville.  It will snuff out the last tiny spark of faith in this organization.  It would be colossally dumb - even worse, in some ways, than sitting on his rights and getting nothing for him.  The Pegulas would have to be incredibly stupid and stubborn to allow Eichel to end up in New York (or Boston).

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Eichel ending up in Buffalo’s downstate media market competitor will absolutely crush whatever is left of the fanbase’s buy-in on Pegulaville.  It will snuff out the last tiny spark of faith in this organization.  It would be colossally dumb - even worse, in some ways, than sitting on his rights and getting nothing for him.  The Pegulas would have to be incredibly stupid and stubborn to allow Eichel to end up in New York (or Boston).

Sorry, but I honestly don't think it would effect the Sabre fan base. The damage to that is caused by losing and bad management. Eichel going to New York or Boston would have same effect as his going anywhere else. It strengths the opponent is all.

• Like (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

I really don't think that is the case.  NY city is so far away, and for years and years not even in the same division as the Sabres.  I also don't see a ton of people here who think the Sabres have a huge rivalry with the Rangers (a lot less of one than with the Leafs for example).  If he is traded, he is traded...going to the Rangers as opposed to anywhere else I can't see having any more impact with this fanbase.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

The Pegulas put a lot of effort money into The Sabres. They now have the right people in charge of The Bills. Eventually they will get things right with The Sabres too. 

What does effort money mean? Is that money that they have to still pay because of past stupid decisions?

And what do the Bills have to do with the Sabres?

...weird post.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

The Pegulas put a lot of effort money into The Sabres. They now have the right people in charge of The Bills. Eventually they will get things right with The Sabres too. 

Even a blind squirrel eventually...

Nevermind. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

No it won't.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Norcal said:

Calgary is intriguing.

Tkachuk won't be coming back but I'd love a player like him on Sabres ice. 

At this point it's becoming less likely a trade even happens. 

I'm not sure I see Calgary as a viable trade partner but there was a name that stood out to me when I looked at their draft history and prospects in Adam Fox.  I found it interesting history.

Calgary drafted Adam Fox in the 3rd round in 2016 (66th overall).  He developed well and looked like a great prospect for the Flames.  However, he was traded in June 2018 along with Dougie Hamilton and Micheal Ferlund to Carolina for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin.  Unfortunately he did not want to sign with Carolina (he grew up in New York) so they traded his rights to the NY Rangers for a 2019 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd round pick in 2020 (that became a 2nd round pick).  He goes on to win the Norris Trophy in 2021.

You can look at this scenario in a few ways.  Carolina got an A+ prospect with their trade package but then the player decided he wasn't going to sign with them, potentially play out his time and become a UFA.  Carolina would have looked better with Fox on their team.  I do wish they would fix this NCAA issue.  And it sucks that the Rangers got him at a bargain because he wanted to play for the Rags.

There is a lesson for the Sabres to try and get players that will sign here in this potential trade.

28 minutes ago, Digger said:

I'm not sure I see Calgary as a viable trade partner but there was a name that stood out to me when I looked at their draft history and prospects in Adam Fox.  I found it interesting history.

Calgary drafted Adam Fox in the 3rd round in 2016 (66th overall).  He developed well and looked like a great prospect for the Flames.  However, he was traded in June 2018 along with Dougie Hamilton and Micheal Ferlund to Carolina for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin.  Unfortunately he did not want to sign with Carolina (he grew up in New York) so they traded his rights to the NY Rangers for a 2019 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd round pick in 2020 (that became a 2nd round pick).  He goes on to win the Norris Trophy in 2021.

You can look at this scenario in a few ways.  Carolina got an A+ prospect with their trade package but then the player decided he wasn't going to sign with them, potentially play out his time and become a UFA.  Carolina would have looked better with Fox on their team.  I do wish they would fix this NCAA issue.  And it sucks that the Rangers got him at a bargain because he wanted to play for the Rags.

There is a lesson for the Sabres to try and get players that will sign here in this potential trade.

It was pretty well-known Fox wasn’t signing in Calgary and that he had eyes on the Rangers. It was thought to be foolish at the time that Carolina placed value on him in that deal. Lindholm hadn’t blossomed into the player he’s been in Calgary, though.

Just thinking on what would it take for a trade before training camp.

In an Eichel trade, what ways are there for other teams to mitigate their risk because of Eichel's injury?  All I can come up with are:

Conditional picks.

Quality players with injuries which have long recovery times.

Once I hit on that, I have to ask if either is acceptable to GMKA and T&KP.

@nfreeman about time. 3 pages of politics now we can get back to Eichel. 

Jack Eichel not being traded yet is surprising to me. What is more surprising is the main teams that are in on Eichel haven't spent that capspace. The only exception is probably Minnesota. Vegas can easily get cap compliant because of the Tuch injury. Anaheim has lots of room. The NYR are a team in the NHL. Idk if I am missing any team but this has been such a curious summer and the fact Adams hasn't folded is shocking. Botterill would have accepted one of the Rangers awful trades at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/15/2021 at 8:35 AM, Happy Days said:

Why do people believe this? I understand being hopeful

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Ranger fans are the most delusional fanbase of all. They think a Buffalo podcast putting up a billboard means something. The comments are hilarious. 

Cheap shot on their part.

Then again, what goes around comes around. Bills fans did the same thing in the Boston area last year, albeit for different reasons.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Ranger fans are the most delusional fanbase of all. They think a Buffalo podcast putting up a billboard means something. The comments are hilarious. 

I think it's a Rangers podcast.

And it's really, really low on my list of things to care about.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Does anyone with a background in law know of anyway we could use this to start a case of meddling by the Rangers? I know this is a Rangers podcast but some of them are bound to have ties to the team in some regard.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Does anyone with a background in law know of anyway we could use this to start a case of meddling by the Rangers? I know this is a Rangers podcast but some of them are bound to have ties to the team in some regard.  

It's not.