Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

I liked Murray, but considering the Leafs, Rangers and Oilers leaped frogged the Sabres with their “tank jobs,” it’s not surprising to see him go. Bylsma needed to go as he lost the team and did not tailor his “system” to the strength of his players.

"Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 2m2 minutes ago

Constant turmoil with the Bills and Sabres. The passionate fans of Western New York deserve so much better."

Have to agree. While I like the Pegula’s, they need to get their act together and stop meddling so much with both teams

I am not sure that I understand how Pegula is "meddling" with the Sabres. He hired TM and gave him free rein to build the team and coaching staff as he saw fit. Three years into it, is anyone really satisfied with the results? I liked TM's style and personality, and agreed with much of what he did, but there have been some critical errors that have resulted in the Sabres still muddling along. Anyone could see Bylsma was not right for this job after two years. Multiple player issues as well. If Murray stuck with Bylsma in his meeting with Pegula, good for him in pulling the plug. We are not starting over in the rebuild but a fresh direction is required.

The ol' switcheroo - Sabres hire Bill O'Reilly to take over behind the bench; Bylsma, Murray to Fox News Channel

More creative handcuffing: his is a no spinorama zone.

Who pointed out upthread that the Pegulas were recently bamboozled into hiring the bloviating windbag Rex Ryan?

We need our blind squirrels to find a chestnut. That's what we need.

We need out squirrels to be sent out to pasture, or whatever you do with squirrels. They should have the character and self-awareness and love of this team to be NOWHERE NEAR THESE NEW HIRES. They have nothing to add to the process. Nothing. /pangloss

can't help but think the Leafs success pretty much ensured GMTM's and Disco Dan's fate...we were suppose to be ahead of their rebuild and in a better position to make the playoffs but of course they are giving washington all they can handle (and may beat them yet) while we are, well....golfing

What if he comes down to the locker room and throws the stereo against the wall if it's on after a loss?

The team can look forward to many bland chicken dinners.

He also said it's a very attractive job. I would think some would be a little hesitant to work for the Pegula's.

I think the distinct ongoing possibility of getting fired is just part of the job for pro sports FO types. I don't think an owner's track record of firing his FO people discourages anyone looking to fill a vacancy. On the contrary, I think having owners who are restless and feel an urgency to win is attractive to candidates. As is the owners' willingness to spend money on players. As is the owners' willingness to hand out 5-year deals to coaches and GMs like they're going out of style.

For all my criticism of TM's roster construction for this past season, then next GM has some really nice pieces to work starting with Risto and Jack. ROR is a solid player who only needs a little less playing time to be more effective. McCabe is a solid D on a value contract. Reinhart is still young and full of potential, but is already a 50 pt guy. Lehner is a solid goalie, who still has a chance to become an excellent one.

We also have an excellent pipeline of forwards in Nylander, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Pu, and Estephan, coupled with an excellent D prospect in Guhle and a couple more D worth watching in Borgen and Fitzgerald. We also have some cap room next season, a top 10 draft pick and a loyal fanbase.

I'm not surprised people want the job(s).

Admittedly I wasn't confident that TM could fix the D. May hope is the new GM can rid us of the bad contracts and fix the D.

@WGR550
Friedman - I don't get the sense the #Sabres have someone in mind for coach or GM. This is going to unfold over the span of a month or so.

I know he's an expert and I'm some schlub on the internet but I have to imagine that these positions, or at least the GM gets filled much sooner than that. The draft is 2 months and 3 days from today and to compound on that you have the expansion draft.

The #1 need for this team is to fix the D and that's not happening via free-agency which means that needs to be fixed via wheeling and dealing leading up to the draft. If they take over a month or so to fill that position the new GM will not have enough time to sufficiently prepare for all of that.

We need ou[r] squirrels to be sent out to pasture, or whatever you do with squirrels. They should have the character and self-awareness and love of this team to be NOWHERE NEAR THESE NEW HIRES. They have nothing to add to the process. Nothing. /pangloss

I'm well aware what you (and Harrington (I saw a RT from him)) think they should be doing with the process of filling these positions.

If the past is prelude, they will not do anything like that. They will be intimately involved.

We need those blind squirrels to find us some chestnuts.

FFS. One of the most dominant dynasties in all of modern pro sports arose from the utter happenstance of taking a flyer on a QB in the 6th goddamned round. We need some luck.

(Not for nothing: The Sabres caught a bit of lightning in a bottle back in 2005. They had non-first-round guys blossom into quality NHL players. They had a late round draft pick become one of the better net minders of that time.)

For all my criticism of TM's roster construction for this past season, then next GM has some really nice pieces to work starting with Risto and Jack. ROR is a solid player who only needs a little less playing time to be more effective. McCabe is a solid D on a value contract. Reinhart is still young and full of potential, but is already a 50 pt guy. Lehner is a solid goalie, who still has a chance to become an excellent one.

We also have an excellent pipeline of forwards in Nylander, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Pu, and Estephan, coupled with an excellent D prospect in Guhle and a couple more D worth watching in Borgen and Fitzgerald. We also have some cap room next season, a top 10 draft pick and a loyal fanbase.

I'm not surprised people want the job(s).

Admittedly I wasn't confident that TM could fix the D. May hope is the new GM can rid us of the bad contracts and fix the D.

Here here

@WGR550
Friedman - I don't get the sense the #Sabres have someone in mind for coach or GM. This is going to unfold over the span of a month or so.

Alternately, they absolutely do have someone in mind, aren't talking about it, and this will unfold over a month or so as this individual's (these Individuals') team is eliminated from the playoffs.

can't help but think the Leafs success pretty much ensured GMTM's and Disco Dan's fate...we were suppose to be ahead of their rebuild and in a better position to make the playoffs but of course they are giving washington all they can handle (and may beat them yet) while we are, well....golfing

Its also an Illusion the leafs started their rebuild a year later than us.    Yes they tanked a year later than us, but all the pieces of their team are drafted way back since 2012.

Can go farther back if you count in Kadri and Bozak.

Really that 2014 draft screwed him over more than anything in my mind.    Players from that draft should have been in Rochester by now.

I just checked.... very weird:  7 Forwards, 1 D and 1 G.  And where is our greatest need now?  D.  And of the forwards, only Samson has made any kind of appearance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.