Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

So now that we've had time to digest the news how do you feel about this?

The team was doomed with Dan behind the bench, he had completely lost the room. Without him we are better.

Murray i'm less enthusiastic about but overall accept it and am ready to move on.

At least the off-season has gotten a lot more interesting. The draft lottery is next weekend...it'll be great if we hit.

The one Murray quote that stuck out to me was when he said "if I'm here next week" which coincides with his other quote of "Dan is my coach today". This makes me believe he wasn't going to fire DB after talking to TP. If Murray wasn't fired, then Bylsma would still be the coach. I think the writing was on the wall for TM.

That makes a lot of sense.

GMTM had to see smoke signals that his job was on the line.

TP had to be seen talking to people that he normally wouldn't be talking to if he thought he had a good GM and Tim caught on to some of it.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I think Murray knew he was gone when the season ended.   If you go back and listen to some of his quotes, he sounds like a guy who knew his time was up.    My guess is TP gave him an ultimatum to show progress every season and they took a step back, so he's gone... kinda like Rex knowing he was gone before the Jets game.     That would seem typical of an owner who ran a large successful company... set goals with hard deadlines and if they're not met, then next man up gets a shot until they find the right guy.    I just don't think that works very well in pro sports where you need some stability and patience especially when completely overhauling the roster and dealing with injuries, etc...

This makes sense, except when you remember Pegula boasting early in his ownership of never having to fire people in his oil business.

I have been saying for awhile that a team that suppose to have a huge scouting department compared to a lot of other teams that their is no excuse that then can't find hidden talent. One thing I like about Murray is he like to take chances but what I didn't like was his willingness to throw out too many draft picks in these deals.

There's a hard limit on the number of contracts one team can have.   What's the point of picking 8 guys in the first 3 round every year if you only ever get to keep half of them in the long term? 

So now that we've had time to digest the news how do you feel about this?

The team was doomed with Dan behind the bench, he had completely lost the room. Without him we are better.

Murray i'm less enthusiastic about but overall accept it and am ready to move on.

At least the off-season has gotten a lot more interesting. The draft lottery is next weekend...it'll be great if we hit.

This is exactly where I am.

There's a hard limit on the number of contracts one team can have.   What's the point of picking 8 guys in the first 3 round every year if you only ever get to keep half of them in the long term? 

They need to be hitting on these picks. Yes I know their is factors in these drafts but that's what separates the good teams from the bad. Yes I know you can only have a certain number of contracts but Murray threw away a lot of picks because he wanted help now which is fine but some of these moves their were reasons why these teams gave up certain players to us. Bogo and Kulikov look like they don't even know how to play defense anymore. I get that Kulikov was banged up for most of the year because of the hit early in the season on his back. But him and Bogo were absolutely brutal to watch.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Not a huge shock. I always thought it was logical that these guys would stay or go together. Keeping Murray and giving him the keys to the next two or three years did not make sense. Too many Murray misses, most of all the coach, to defend him much. #zfg

I applaud the move by the Pegulas. Now, the tough part: getting the GM hire right, this time with virtually no hockey brains in the process. Unless... they have a hockey president in mind. But who's helping them with that hire?

I like it. Accountability for a Sabres team that didn't improve, a Rochester team that cant win, and nothing obvious on the horizon that indicates change for the better.

This organization needs badly for expectations to be ALOT higher. Hopefully this starts it.

Not a huge shock. I always thought it was logical that these guys would stay or go together. Keeping Murray and giving him the keys to the next two or three years did not make sense. Too many Murray misses, most of all the coach, to defend him much. #zfg

I applaud the move by the Pegulas. Now, the tough part: getting the GM hire right, this time with virtually no hockey brains in the process. Unless... they have a hockey president in mind. But who's helping them with that hire?

This is what I've always wondered about your distaste for the Pegulas. How can they hire anybody?

What was the Dracy/Ruff logic?   

You need more than 2 years to show significant progress after back to back 50 point seasons.    You can't compare them to the Leafs because they never bottomed out that hard, and they got luck winning the Matthews lottery.    You think they're a playoff team without Matthews?   

To keep a coach and gm forever with no accountability.

A rebuilding team took a step backwards and has an empty cupboard in Rochester. That's after 3 years as GM.

I'm just fine with the decision, and if TP put performance goals that said they both teams needed to do better than the year prior, good on TP.  And if it's ZFG on coaches and a gm salaries, even better.

We where modeling the Edmonton tank rebuild success story and not the Toronto one. We have a chance to be the Toronto one now.

I like it. Accountability for a Sabres team that didn't improve, a Rochester team that cant win, and nothing obvious on the horizon that indicates change for the better.

This organization needs badly for expectations to be ALOT higher. Hopefully this starts it.

How much of that Rochester help is sitting in juniors or in college right now?

I have been saying for awhile that a team that suppose to have a huge scouting department compared to a lot of other teams that their is no excuse that then can't find hidden talent. One thing I like about Murray is he like to take chances but what I didn't like was his willingness to throw out too many draft picks in these deals. I've always been under the philosophy that if you have a solid scouting department that you stockpile talent and keep the system flowing year in and year out. That's the reason why you have such a huge scouting department and then you have a GM that can trust his scouts in order to make these moves.

That's one thing about Darcy. He was a better horse trader.

They need to be hitting on these picks. Yes I know their is factors in these drafts but that's what separates the good teams from the bad.

Murray had 3 drafts.   His picks aren't even 22 years old yet.   

Guys like Guhle, Borgen, Estephan, Pu, Fitzgerald, all have done well since being drafted... there will be some "hits" in the that group.   

This time he might do it alone.

Which I'm fine with. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we have a new President of Hockey Operations announced Friday at 10 am. Who will hire the next GM, and the GM will bring in a coach. Be like a normal hockey thing to do.

And I completely agree with the rest of your post.

Edited by Woods-Racer

This is what I've always wondered about your distaste for the Pegulas. How can they hire anybody?

I mean, they have to. Even if they hire someone to hire someone, or hand it all over to Brandon. It has to start with them, for better or worse. It's like they are God now, and the Sabres are nameless and faceless and dark and devoid of light and shape and form. They must begat.

I wasn't a fan of Disco Dan from the start. I thought their was a solid reason why Pittsburgh let him go and then all of a sudden the Pens win the Cup after that. His system sucks. The game has changed and his style doesn't fit in today's game. I would take my chance on a college coach or even a solid junior coach.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.