Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

It's change because you keep making the wrong hire in the first place

Day of reckoning indeed, whichever WGR reporter called that yesterday

He made one wrong hire, Pat Lafontaine.

The rest is a chain of events that Pat set in motion.

Today TP fired the last of Pat's work.

It's that simple. If I can see it, people in the league that would be candidates for the next President Of Hockey operations see it also. They may be wondering why it TP so long.

He made one wrong hire, Pat Lafontaine.

The rest is a chain of events that Pat set in motion.

Today TP fired the last of Pat's work.

It's that simple. If I can see it, people in the league that would be candidates for the next President Of Hockey operations see it also. They may be wondering why it TP so long.

In his entire time here, the only person Pegula hired has been Lafontaine? I don't believe that

So, is there any chance I was close to the mark with this?

Honestly, this was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. It rings true, to me. Good call.

In which case, today's actions were the correct moves. I'm behind them, provided Pegula brings in competent hockey people.

Like I said before, Pegula probably already has had some contacts with possible replacements.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is VP of hockey operations sitting next to him tomorrow.

Bucky Gleason 

@ByBuckyGleason
 Follow
More

I'm told Pegulas were looking for answers on how to proceed, and Murray didnt have many, or any. Bylsma was collateral damage swept w/GMTM

That doesn't seem like Murray at all, its more likely he gave some honest answers about the rebuild taking another two years longer and then got fired.

Really that 2014 draft screwed him over more than anything in my mind.    Players from that draft should have been in Rochester by now.

yay.

Reset the rebuild clock to zero.

What a ###### show.

Ya, come on Wildcard. You can't bitch that they finally fired him. Didn't we discuss in the previous thread if Tim was onboard with Dan 100% then he deserved to go too? Looks like that happened. So we can't bitch he also was let go. Onward.....

:beer: To the future of the Sabres. Our core and key pieces are already here. Let's get this thing moving in the direction it should be!!

Exactly. We aren't starting at square one this time. Onwards and upwards.

Edited by Thorny

Honestly, this was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. It rings true, to me. Good call.

In which case, today's actions were the correct moves. I'm behind them, provided Pegula brings in competent hockey people.

Who pointed out upthread that the Pegulas were recently bamboozled into hiring the bloviating windbag Rex Ryan?

We need our blind squirrels to find a chestnut. That's what we need.

That's one thing about Darcy. He was a better horse trader.

The only thing about Darcy he was afraid to make a deal. It was like he had to win every deal which is what you should want but you have to take chances every now and then.

The opposite isn't always smart either. #1 for Lehner? I questioned that move the moment he made it.

He overvalued his horses and was reluctant to take a chance.

He won more trades. Can't say that about GMTM.

Who pointed out upthread that the Pegulas were recently bamboozled into hiring the bloviating windbag Rex Ryan?

Line of the day so far.

I guess that's what are sports hopes are left hanging on.

Brandon does his job well so he has to be fired to satisfy peoples paranoia.

No -- he does the job of "SVP -- Marketing" well.  He performs terribly as "Team President -- Football and Hockey."

- NS's take on the natural progression of operations coming out of the tank was interesting.

- Glad to see Pi following through. Wish he'd chosen a different avatar :P

- I'm not surprised to see Dan go, I'm pretty surprised to see Murray go. I don't care, though. Tim's plan/confidence was shaky to the Pegulas, and this summer isn't the time for that.

- Good news, Sabrespace - I am going to try my best to never speak of Bylsma and his system again. We move forward.

- I don't think we need to worry about a new GM hitting reset and stalling our progress to get his guys in. We have good players here. There may be a trade or two that blow our minds, but we are going to field a competitive hockey team. We will have a renewed sense of hope, a renewed sense of purpose, and a real, no BS hockey culture. Unless we totally ###### up the GM/coach hire, but I don't think we will. 

- I loved Tim's press conferences, but I stopped loving his results. Rochester was brutal, Buffalo was brutal, for the same reasons. 

Today has given me some hope. While our rebuild still has a very real chance of going off the rails, that chance decreased a bit today. It's ready to jump in either direction, though. Make good choices T&K. 

Like Taro sez, Dean just got fired for those contracts, so I have a feeling he can grow and learn as a GM. I wouldn't be panicking if we hired him.

Good post.

This is one of those chickens come home to roost days. Terry had dinner with a popular former Sabre and thought he would make a good GM. Patty admirably said he wasn't qualified to be a GM but took the president job. For whatever reason, it didn't work out. But before he left, that unqualified president that Terry hired, along with Terry's club hockey coach buddy from Happy Valley, interviewed and hired a first-time GM out of Ottawa. By the name of... Tim Murray. The begatting was not good, here.

Before the ZFG charm took over, there were quite a few questions raised (by me and others) about hiring a GM from an organization that had been mired in mediocrity for most of his tenure there.

It's still not clear to me what GMTM accomplished, before PLF hired him, to earn the job.

No, They win a Stanley Cup, then Hextall leaves & the Kings get to a Conference Finals & then win ANOTHER Stanley Cup. They then missed the playoffs, missed out on winning their division by a point, & mised the playoffs in this past disaster of a season.

Clearly it was ALL Hextall & has been completely downhill since he left. :rolleyes:

Good post, and one that kinda stokes my interest in Lombardi.

In his entire time here, the only person Pegula hired has been Lafontaine? I don't believe that

I don't think that's exactly what he's saying. But I think he's right with the idea that this all stemmed from hiring PLF to get things started.

Is it possible that PLF was right in his early conflicts with GMTM? Did PLF have buyer's remorse?

We also need them to have better advisers on these decisions than Brandon.

Elliotte Friedman on WGR:  there are going to be a lot of people lined up for this job -- I can already tell by the number of people contacting me.

We also need them to have better advisers on these decisions than Brandon.Elliotte Friedman on WGR: there are going to be a lot of people lined up for this job -- I can already tell by the number of people contacting me.

He also said it's a very attractive job. I would think some would be a little hesitant to work for the Pegula's.

Edited by Claude Balls

lol at people thinking TP is some genius with some plan in place that we can't see. I challenge anyone to find a more unintelligent owner in sports; one so wholly unfit and void of any prudence or ability to evaluate talent. Takes more greed and amorality to make billions destroying the earth than business acumen and foresight (see Beverly Hillbillies or most other inbred oil tycoons). 

Maybe your political comments should be taken elsewhere, eh? Try PPP over on the Bill's side so that we can keep this about hockey.

Elliotte Friedman on WGR:  there are going to be a lot of people lined up for this job -- I can already tell by the number of people contacting me.

That's encouraging; unless it's because they'll end up with 5 year salary for 2 years of work.

Jack Eichel and co ready to make the jump to being good again THIS SEASON, not in 3 years, with a high pick this coming draft?

I'd be lined up too.

That doesn't surprise me at all, this franchise isn't bare of talent just badly mismanaged. Another high pick, owner who'll spend, hockey town. Nothing to dislike here. I have my hopes up for Housley as coach though, GM with hockey sense and someone that's has some vision as to where the league is going and won't be afraid to play the kids on anything but a 4th line.

He also said it's a very attractive job. I would think some would be a little hesitant to work for the Pegula's.

There are 31 of each of these jobs in the world.  No one is going to be hesitant to work for them.

No one was ever hesitant to work for Al Davis, or George Steinbrenner, or Jeremy Jacobs, either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.