Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I must have watched a different interview?? I'm a psychologist and couldn't read into much of what he was saying. He was complimentary to all and very vanilla. He's been coached up well.

He was nice enough and was obviously coached into what to say - as you picked up on.  Couple things that struck me as particularly odd was his lack of being respectful to Buffalo for spending resources to acquire the rights to be able to talk to him and his representation - I think he could / should have said that.  I don't think it would have been a bad thing for him to recognize they spent a draft pick and money to fly into see me and that was an honor.  He basically said them flying in gave me practice on what it's going to be like to talk to a GM and coach on August 15th. 

I also think he could have said hey they spent resources to be able to talk to me and based on the positive meeting would talk to them again if they feel it's necessary to get more questions answered from me and my team.  Instead he said they've agreed to leave me alone now.

I just think he could have come off as more respectful and possibly removing the stigma he's getting (ever how unfair) that he hasn't earned anything from the NHL.  Understand that I am fully aware that he has earned the right to do what he's doing.  I do still believe he didn't help himself in terms of how he's perceived.

What about brown rice?

#brownricematters 

WHITE RICE MATTERS!!

sorry just trying to lighten the mood. 

All Rice matters! Sometimes at Qdoba I'll order my burrito with brown rice and sometimes I prefer white rice.

I'm a psychologist and couldn't read into much of what he was saying.

Evidently not a very good one then if you couldn't read into it.

:w00t:

If Vesey was really interested in potentially signing with Buffalo, wouldn't he have come to Buffalo to get a better sense of the city, the arena and the facilities?  He has the time to do it now since he is making his decision after August 15th.  When August 15th arrives and we find out he visiting other cities, that likely will be very bad news.

If Vesey was really interested in potentially signing with Buffalo, wouldn't he have come to Buffalo to get a better sense of the city, the arena and the facilities?  He has the time to do it now since he is making his decision after August 15th.  When August 15th arrives and we find out he visiting other cities, that likely will be very bad news.

If he signs with Buffalo I would be shocked. Believe me I want him in a Sabres uniform but you have two teams that wanted to sign you and you want to sign else where. You want to be in the top 6 of the lineup. You need to earn that first. I hope they change this rule that him and his agent are exploiting. It's needs to change that if you were drafted and don't sign then you need to be put back into the draft.

Alan Strachan, is a retired Panelist on HNIC's Hot Stove and columnist with the Montreal Gazette, Globe and Mail and Toronto Sun. His twitter is followed by quite a few names in the hockey world. 

After this was posted...

Joe Haggerty

While Vesey cant talk to other NHL teams except Buff until Aug, he admitted he's got a short list in his head. All 29 teams wont have a shot

He posted this:

Alan Strachan ‏@winsford99  Jul 13

Alan Strachan Retweeted Joe Haggerty

It's Buffalo, Chicago and Toronto unless someone else steps up in a hurry.

This was one of the responses to his tweet..

Matthew Meyer

@winsford99 @Devilish21ca @HackswithHaggs he actually stated yesterday publicly that he will meet with Boston and that they are on his list.

To which Alan responded with this.

Alan Strachan ‏@winsford99  Jul 14

Alan Strachan Retweeted Matthew Meyer

What else can he say? He's no idiot. He doesn't want to say he has no interest and be hated in his home town

Another response..

Bob Brownie Brown

@winsford99 "real"? You said Vesey wouldn't meet with Boston when he clearly expressed he was interested

Which lead to this response..

Alan Strachan ‏@winsford99  Jul 14

Alan Strachan Retweeted Bob Brownie Brown

No. I said I've been told that the top three on the list are Buff, Chi and Tor. If you want my GUESS, it's Buff.

One month to go..

Alan Strachan added,

I seem to recall that he was in Buffalo to visit around the time of the draft.  Maybe I am mistaken.

I don't know if Vesey is going to be a great player or not. However, I found a list of past college free agents and I thought I'd cheer everyone up about the possible upside of such a player.

1) Adam Oates

2) Marty St. Louis

3) Joe Mullen

4) Greg Adams

5) Dave Poulin

6) Joel Otto

7) Jason Blake

And the fever breaks. For now. Whew. That was something. I was actually starting to see crazy things, like Jimmy in Sabres blue and gold.

My attention has switched at the moment to Jimmy Kirk, arriving in a theatre near you this Friday.

I haven't attacked his character in a while so here it goes...

What makes this more intriguing is that Vesey is a compulsive liar.... OK well maybe not compulsive, but he lied to NSH and what's to stop him from lying to the media, GMTM, Eichel, you, me, anybody for that matter.    I won't be suprised if he decides not sign with anybody because he can't be guaranteed a certain jersey number, or locker room stall next to Jack, or his own mini-fridge in the kitchen, etc... He might even quit hockey because he has a Harvard degree and is softer than a warm stick of butter.... ok, well maybe not that soft, but he does need to be coddled like a newborn, which is pretty damned soft IMO.

That said.... he's acting like a giant douche and if he signs with Boston I'll be happy.

I haven't attacked his character in a while so here it goes...

What makes this more intriguing is that Vesey is a compulsive liar.... OK well maybe not compulsive, but he lied to NSH and what's to stop him from lying to the media, GMTM, Eichel, you, me, anybody for that matter. I won't be suprised if he decides not sign with anybody because he can't be guaranteed a certain jersey number, or locker room stall next to Jack, or his own mini-fridge in the kitchen, etc... He might even quit hockey because he has a Harvard degree and is softer than a warm stick of butter.... ok, well maybe not that soft, but he does need to be coddled like a newborn, which is pretty damned soft IMO.

That said.... he's acting like a giant douche and if he signs with Boston I'll be happy.

Stafford soft with a touch of Johnny football soft? Edited by North Buffalo

You'll be happy if Boston gets a decent prospect?  :blink:

I don't think he's that great of a prospect, and there are red flags wrt his character.    A young rebuilding team could do without his baggage. 

Feeling a bit Johnny football in him

yeah I see some of his character traits in Vesey... and Matthews for that matter, although Matthews is supremely talented and I don't expect a fall from grace until he signs a long term deal that guarantees him financial security for life.    He'll have nothing to play for at that point, eventually getting run out TOR, landing back in the desert and having maybe a few decent years there with Domi and Duclair infront of his hometown fans.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.