Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

No Toronto - why would he want to go to Toronto, make 10% less (tax rate consequences) and be in that media storm.  Toronto is a couple of years away from contending too.

His dad works for the team and they drafted his brother. 

Buffalo is probably only a year ahead of Toronto for cup contention. 

Seriously doubt he's flying to the teams on his short list. They'll be coming to him. Granted, he lives where one of the teams play, but he stressed in the interview a talk w/ the gm and coach we'll play a role in his decision. The Bruins gm and coach will have to be one hell of a "car salesman." They're are on a quick spiral to the bottom. I understand his childhood dream of wanting to play for the team he grew up watching/cheering for may determine where he goes, but he has to consider what is best for his career. If the 2nd contract is that important to him, and it should be, Boston is a team to stay away from.

We can only hope Sweeney will Sweeney.

I do think there is room to change his mind, and that Buffalo is likely his second choice.

His dad works for the team and they drafted his brother.

Buffalo is probably only a year ahead of Toronto for cup contention.

There are reports that his brother is going to play 4 years at Maine then become an UFA as Jimmy did.

Plus if Lou is playing hardball with Matthews on his ELC Bonuses, I can't see him offering them to Vesey.

Seriously doubt he's flying to the teams on his short list. They'll be coming to him. Granted, he lives where one of the teams play, but he stressed in the interview a talk w/ the gm and coach we'll play a role in his decision. The Bruins gm and coach will have to be one hell of a "car salesman." They're are on a quick spiral to the bottom. I understand his childhood dream of wanting to play for the team he grew up watching/cheering for may determine where he goes, but he has to consider what is best for his career. If the 2nd contract is that important to him, and it should be, Boston is a team to stay away from.

Considering the city is at the top of his priority list, if he has a "short list", wouldn't he want to visit them before making a decision? I'm not sure if he ever set foot in Nashville, but he still turned them down even though they are a Cup contender, they were offering him a top-6 position, and we're going to give him the maximum offer. To me, that says he didn't want to go to the city of Nashville above all. Now, although allowed and probably has been invited, he hasn't even set foot in Buffalo. That worrisome above all. What's he going to do, decide where he's going to sign based on the team's pitch, then go visit?

You guys are giving a lot of credit to Don Sweeney by saying Vesey signs with the Bruins.

I mean.. he's approaching epic levels of ridiculousness in his other moves. 

"Hi Jimmy, I'd like to offer you slightly less than everyone else.  You should take it because you'll be playing in your hometown and well, we're the Bruins. No one else can offer you that.  It's worth more than a max contract full of bonuses."

Okay.. insanity out.

:w00t:

Toronto has some very good forwards coming up with Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. They also have Babcock as coach. If they can firm up their defense and if Anderson is a good GT they are on their way just like us. I hate it but it is the truth. Will they make it? Idk maybe. I have more faith in us then Toronto. 

Toronto has some very good forwards coming up with Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. They also have Babcock as coach. If they can firm up their defense and if Anderson is a good GT they are on their way just like us. I hate it but it is the truth. Will they make it? Idk maybe. I have more faith in us then Toronto. 

All true BUT Lamoriella has been stingy with bonus money in the past, and the tax rates are much higher in CAD than NY.  I don't think any CAD team will be on his short list. My guess: BUF, BOS, CHI, PIT and wildcard NJ

Hell hath no fury like a Sabres fan scorned. Sabres fans boo every player that ever farted in Buffalo. This question need not be asked.

Copy that. Buffalo fans are the jilted prom date of fans. 

GO SABRES!!!

I really don't think this is unique to Buffalo at all. In fact, I'd wager most fanbases are like this, and those that aren't are the exceptions. 

At listened to that entire interview. While I could say that the interviewers questions were leading and biased to get Vesey to talk about Boston and playing there, it sounded like they are his first choice for sure. I think that is a mistake for him but not my problem. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.