Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

100 dice simply means 100 chances of hitting a 1 in 6 outcome. The odds are still 1 in 6 for any one of those 100 dice to land on a 3. 

Probability and odds are not the same things, mathematically speaking.

Yes, the odds of any SINGLE ONE of the dice hitting doesn't change. But the collective chances of at least ONE hitting, when you have 100, is a near certainty. The odds of one individual isn't being argued here. The point is that with multiple chances, the likelihood of reaching the desired outcome goes up. Multiple chances = more likely to hit. More picks, more likelihood one pans out. This is simple math.

The equation I posted is the correct mathematical equation for one of four 25% outcomes reaching the desired conclusion.

Yes, the odds of any SINGLE ONE of the dice hitting doesn't change. But the collective chances of at least ONE hitting, when you have 100, is a near certainty. The odds of one individual isn't being argued here. The point is that with multiple chances, the likelihood of reaching the desired outcome goes up. Multiple chances = more likely to hit. More picks, more likelihood one pans out. This is simple math.

The equation I posted is the correct mathematical equation for one of four 25% outcomes reaching the desired conclusion.

You are correct.

How are they not?

In a word, context. 

I don't disagree with the math. I am just clarifying that odds don't change, only probability. 

In a word, context. 

I don't disagree with the math. I am just clarifying that odds don't change, only probability.

No, the odds of each INDIVIDUAL dice rolling the desired outcome don't change. The odds, however, of reaching the desired outcome, do go up, depending on how many events are included in the equation. The collective odds.

Individual vs. Collective

Anyways, apart from the language here, we are all in agreement.

Dog days of summer, indeed.

No, the odds of each INDIVIDUAL dice rolling the desired outcome don't change. The odds, however, of reaching the desired outcome, do go up, depending on how many events are included in the equation. The collective odds.

Individual vs. Collective

Anyways, apart from the language here, we are all in agreement.

Dog days of summer, indeed.

From Dr. Math himself:

Let me clarify the difference between probability and odds. The

probability of an event is defined as:

(Chances for)

P(x) = ---------------

(Total chances)

So, for example, the probability of drawing an ace in a single deck of

52 cards is 4/52 = 1/13 (or about 0.077 = 7.7%).

Odds, on the other hand, are given as:

(Chances for) : (Chances against)

Incidentally, odds of 1:1 would be read as "one TO one", not "one OUT

OF one." (The words "out of" seem to imply total chances, which is

probability, not odds.)

Since (Total chances) = (Chances for) + (Chances against), we can

calculate (Chances against) = (Total chances) - (Chances for). The

odds of drawing an ace in a deck of cards is 4:(52-4) = 4:48 = 1:12.

Notice the difference in the second value; probability uses (Total

chances), but odds use (Chances against). This is why the probability

(if considered as a ratio) and the odds are different.

What can I say, I'm a stickler for detail. 

Hockey season can't get here fast enough. 

GO SABRES!!!

On a standard die the general formula for rolling at least one 6 in n rolls is 1 - (5/6)^n. 5/6 meaning 5 of the 6 sides are not a 6.

So let's say each 3rd rounder is a 12 sided die, meaning a 3rd pick has an 8.3% of becoming a serviceable NHL player. If you roll a "12" that player becomes an NHL'er, and we have 4 3rd round picks, or "rolls".

The probability of landing 1 NHL player out of those 4 picks is....

1 - (11/12)^4 = 29.4%

For 3 picks (rolls)

1 - (11/12)^3 = 22.9%

For 12 rolls: 65℅

If you had all 30 picks: 92.6℅

Edited by pi2000

On a standard die the general formula for rolling at least one 6 in n rolls is 1 - (5/6)^n. 5/6 meaning 5 of the 6 sides are not a 6.

So let's say each 3rd rounder is a 12 sided die, meaning 8.3% of 3rd rnd picks are serviceable NHL players. If you roll a "12" that player becomes an NHL'er, and we have 4 3rd round picks, or "rolls".

The probability of landing 1 NHL player out of those 4 picks is....

1 - (11/12)^4 = 29.4%

For 3 picks (rolls)

1 - (11/12)^3 = 22.9%

Again, I was going with 25% chance a 3rd round pick "makes it". If we have 4, the odds are 68%. Your numbers are correct if the odds of a pick hitting is 8.3%. We are using the same formula.

This can move away from Math, now. What we are disagreeing on is the likelihood of a pick hitting, of which we can't be sure.

To my mind it was easily worth dealing one pick for Vesey's rights, potential hindsight notwithstanding.

Edited by Thorny

Still no respect for the spirit of the discussion rather than the minute trivialities, I see. G'day.

Spirit of the discussion? You mean the vilification of a 23 year old young man, blessed with hockey talent, that has a chance to exercise his collectively bargained right to become a free agent? Or is it the spirit of the portion of the discussion that condemns GMTM for using a low risk asset for a chance at a high reward? Christ, after wading through the mounds of crap and trolling along those lines, I thought the math discussion was a welcomed distraction. 

I really don't give a flying phuck whether anyone appreciates the difference between odds and probability. Like I said, it was a welcomed distraction. 

Carry on. 

GO SABRES!!!

Again, I was going with 25% chance a 3rd round pick "makes it". If we have 4, the odds are 68%. Your numbers are correct if the odds of a pick hitting is 8.3%. We are using the same formula.

This can move away from Math, now. What we are disagreeing on is the likelihood of a pick hitting, of which we can't be sure.

To my mind it was easily worth dealing one pick for Vesey's rights, potential hindsight notwithstanding.

I'd like to think GMTM is better than average at finding talent in the 3rd round, but we just don't know yet.

I suppose you could look back at the drafts from 2000-2010, and figure out what the odds are, but you'd also need to have a clear definition of serviceable NHL player.

Maybe I'll look into it next week because it's Friday and 96 out, my sister is visiting and I'm sitting by the pool drinking.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.