Ristolainen Signed, 6yrs 5.4mil per

LGR4GM

My memory is that O'Reilly stayed in Europe, and kept playing for the team he played for during the lockout. Since he played in Europe during NHL season, he was under a new class in the CBA. Calgary (I think) gave him an offer sheet, but since O'Reilly had played in Europe, he had to pass through waivers first, thus Colorado could have kept the draft picks Calgary was offering, O'Reilly would have gone into waivers, and the worst team that wanted his contract could pick him up without paying the draft picks.

I'm sure it has happened often before. I would be surprised if everyone gets signed this week.

My memory is that O'Reilly stayed in Europe, and kept playing for the team he played for during the lockout. Since he played in Europe during NHL season, he was under a new class in the CBA. Calgary (I think) gave him an offer sheet, but since O'Reilly had played in Europe, he had to pass through waivers first, thus Colorado could have kept the draft picks Calgary was offering, O'Reilly would have gone into waivers, and the worst team that wanted his contract could pick him up without paying the draft picks.

I'm sure it has happened often before. I would be surprised if everyone gets signed this week.

This is mostly correct, but I believe it was revealed that the waivers actually WOULDN'T have applied here. Would've been insane if it did. Rule wasn't clear, at all, which is why so many (including me) believed he would've been subject to waivers.

There was also a very weird quirk with the ROR situation -- I don't remember the specifics, and nothing came of it, but Colorado screwed up some kind of simple filing or something, with the result being that ROR might've had to have cleared waivers in order for Colorado to get him back -- but this didn't end up being required because someone (maybe Winnipeg?) signed him to an offer sheet.

It was Calgary. Had Colorado not matched, then ROR would have had to clear waivers for the Flames, thus putting them out the draft picks and the player when he inevitably got claimed. It was almost the single dumbest thing ever done by any sports team ever.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/03/flames-oreilly-offer-sheet-a-big-mistake-all-around.html

It was Calgary. Had Colorado not matched, then ROR would have had to clear waivers for the Flames, thus putting them out the draft picks and the player when he inevitably got claimed. It was almost the single dumbest thing ever done by any sports team ever.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/03/flames-oreilly-offer-sheet-a-big-mistake-all-around.html

That was it.  Thanks.

Great memory.

They need to stop BS'ing around with our best D-man who is poised to become an elite defender...just give him his damn money...I don't get it...they had no issue dumping $5 million per year on Moulson but now they want to nickel and dime Ristolainen??

They're not nickel and diming him. He wants way more than he's worth right now. They'll settle on a bridge deal in the next few days, GMTM is still hoping he comes to his senses and takes a 5-6 year deal at a reasonable price... 4.5-5.5 per.

GMTMs just holding him out of games for now to rest him from his world cup experience cause he knows coach is going to play him like a rented mule for most of the season and he'll be worn out for our playoff run. He'll sign him with days remaining til the season starts. :P

What is amazing is how many top RFA's remain unsigned. Trouba, Rakell, Lindhom, Ristolainen, Gadreau and Kucherov. Wow! That is quiet a list. 2 30 goal scorers, a 20 goal scorer, and 3 22+ minute a night D.

I understand why Kucherov and Lindholm aren't signed. Their GM's don't have the cap space. The Johnny Hockey not signing is simply stupid. Calg has no choice but to pay him. Ana should also just step up and pay Rakell his 3 mill, which is very reasonable for a 40 pt guy, especially considering their lack of young forwards. This would also leave them just Lindholm to get done.

The Trouba and Risto deals seem to be are the problem. Risto knows the Sabres have no one else who can potentially be viewed as a real top line guy, but at the same time he really slipped in the second half and maybe he also won't ever be a top line guy. Trouba is much the same. He is very solid defensively and adds some O but isn't a top guy either way, but still has that potential and like Risto wants top line money as an RFA. The problem for both guys is that their leverage is only sitting out. That's not exactly going to help their careers.

Off topic a little, but everyone has talked about getting Fowler, but what about getting Lindholm instead? Ana still has Theodore and Montour to replace Lindholm for much less money, they could easily sign Rakell at that point. Trading Lindholm would net much more then Fowler. I'd give up Nylander to get Lindholm, I'd also include Foligno to create some additional cap space. I'd then re-sign Lindholm for 6 per for 6 years and make him the no. 1 guy. I'd then offer Risto a 2 year 8 mill deal, take it or leave it and demote Franson to the AHL (saving another 950K in cap).

D pairings. (I know this isn't happening but one can dream)

Lindholm Risto

Kulikov Bogo

McCabe Gorges

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

.@DarrenDreger on the Rasmus Ristolainen contract "It is getting closer...but it is not imminent"

I think this is starting to get very imminent, 4 days until season starts.

Getting Lindholm would be sweet, but would come at a heavy price, and I doubt we have 10 mill in cap space for both Risto and Lindholm.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.