Ristolainen Signed, 6yrs 5.4mil per

LGR4GM

My memory fades (and I ain't going back through the thread), but weren't there those here who said it'd be a bridge deal (3-4) or a long-term deal (7-8), but never a deal for a term in between the two? 

True, that.

Well, this one did eat up a UFA year. We were desperate to avoid the 5 year deal. I'd prefer 7-8, but 6 is what these guys are getting, so.

Right in line with Jones and Reilly. It's a fair deal providing he improves his D. Otherwise Tyler Myers part 2.

Good comparables and in line with market, but I think it is more likely than not that...

I believe we will be very happy with this deal in a year or two.

...is true. Should be very friendly if he matures as expected.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

IMO it's a little on the long side, but the AAV is decent.

Let's hope he keeps working to develop into a true first pairing defenseman. I, for one, expect him to be a plus player this season... if he's not I will be disappointed.

lol, we know about your 5 year love, but I think if I remember correctly you were close with the dollar amount?

My memory fades (and I ain't going back through the thread), but weren't there those here who said it'd be a bridge deal (3-4) or a long-term deal (7-8), but never a deal for a term in between the two? 

True, that.

I was definitely one of those people. I wasn't predicting it though, I was saying I'd prefer an 8 year deal or a bridge and didn't care for something in between. He'll now reach UFA status at 27. Still in his prime for a defenseman but old enough that his next long term deal at that point will likely include some overpayment towards the end of his career. With an 8 year deal we could've had him locked up for his entire 20's.

Well, this one did eat up a UFA year. We were desperate to avoid the 5 year deal. I'd prefer 7-8, but 6 is what these guys are getting, so.

Right. I was under the impression we were paying for 2 UFA years, but it is indeed just the one. 

Still a good deal. 

I was definitely one of those people. I wasn't predicting it though, I was saying I'd prefer an 8 year deal or a bridge and didn't care for something in between. He'll now reach UFA status at 27. Still in his prime for a defenseman but old enough that his next long term deal at that point will likely include some overpayment towards the end of his career. With an 8 year deal we could've had him locked up for his entire 20's.

There's an obvious downside to 8 years so I just don't think GMTM would get involved in that.  I think it's likely he didn't even want to go 6 but compromised. 

Would've preferred another year or 2, but at that price it'll work.

w/ Kulikov practicing today, the D looks light years further ahead than it did yesterday. Any word yet on if Bogosian is ready to go &/or Nelson & Guhle's fates?

Heard that Bogo is practicing. 

So we are just waiting on ROR and Okposo. 

Ryan O'Reilly and Kyle Okposo skated before practice today. Okposo almost sounds ahead of ROR, according to Dan Bylsma. ROR can't take FO.

Bogosian, Kulikov practiced with us today, good sign. Ryan O'Reilly & Kyle Okposo skated, but they're questionable to be ready for Thurs.

Injuries could leave Sabres without Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Okposo for season opener. Bogosian, Kulikov likely to play.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/11/sabres-start-season-without-oreilly-okposo/

Imagining TM with Ristos haircut and a moustache and its funny.

This mental image is beyond amazing.

Perfect contract. Now let's win some hockey games.

Tell them to get upstairs and clean the table before Dad gets home.

Applying an untrue stereotype rather than arguing on the merits is always the best approach.

It buys 2 UFA years doesn't it?

Edit: Time to pony up Freeman! :nana:

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Ryan O'Reilly and Kyle Okposo skated before practice today. Okposo almost sounds ahead of ROR, according to Dan Bylsma. ROR can't take FO.

Bogosian, Kulikov practiced with us today, good sign. Ryan O'Reilly & Kyle Okposo skated, but they're questionable to be ready for Thurs.

Injuries could leave Sabres without Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Okposo for season opener. Bogosian, Kulikov likely to play.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/11/sabres-start-season-without-oreilly-okposo/

Ya, the ROR and Okposo injuries just seem concerning to me. If ROR can't even bend over for a draw. 

This mental image is beyond amazing.

Perfect contract. Now let's win some hockey games.

Applying an untrue stereotype rather than arguing on the merits is always the best approach.

It buys 2 UFA years doesn't it?

Edit: Time to pony up Freeman! :nana:

Apparently only 1 year. At least according to Bobby Mac on Twitter.

Edited by Thorny

Did it eat 2 or only 1 UFA year? I thought 2 years because of how the CBA is written... can anyone confirm when Risto would have been an UFA

He only logged 34 games his first year so his elc kicked in but he did not accrue a service year towards Ufa, need 40.  So we bought one ufa year.  Good deal for all parties.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.