Ristolainen Signed, 6yrs 5.4mil per

LGR4GM

Great point. I would also add the aspect of the other teams the player comparables come from. Ekblad isn't generating those +/- and Corsi numbers on the '14/'15, '15/'16 Sabres teams no matter how good he is.

So, 5.75 gets it done?

No, I would think it would not get it done.

McKenzie's actual tweets:

ANA/BUF using Morgan Rielly (6 x $5M) and Seth Jones (6 x $5.4M) as comparables for Ristolainen/Lindholm. Clubs want them in that range.

Ristolainen/Lindholm are pointing to Aaron Ekblad (8 x $7.5M) and not saying they expect exactly that, but are aiming for $6M+, $6.5M maybe.

I'm interested to see what the term will be. I wouldn't be THAT thrilled with a 6 year deal, would much prefer at least 7 so it buys 3 UFA years.

Risto asked for and received permission to skate with team. Not close in a contract

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/09/29/sabres-ristolainen-not-close-contract-hes-arena/

Shows he cares about the team , usually players in this situation don't come near the team.

He wants a long term commitment from the sabres I think.

Keep in mind, if we don't pay Risto before the season starts, the Bogo clapper is going to be all we see on the power play when the games count.

I'll just go stare at my toilet during our power plays.

LOL, it cracks me up how you will make up every excuse in the book for players you like and are very consistent on the negative side for players you don't.

Having said that if someone on the opposing team has ankle or a lingering lower body injury on the PK you NEED Bogo out there on the PP because everybody is in danger when he's winding it up. The referee's were covering up on that one PP everytime he touched the puck.

LOL, it cracks me up how you will make up every excuse in the book for players you like and are very consistent on the negative side for players you don't.

Having said that if someone on the opposing team has ankle or a lingering lower body injury on the PK you NEED Bogo out there on the PP because everybody is in danger when he's winding it up. The referee's were covering up on that one PP everytime he touched the puck.

Such as?

I did laugh at the second part. At least you have some awareness of Bogosian's problems.

Franson is so much better than Bogo as out number two PP option.

Risto will be there when the season starts

Apparently my anti-Bogo bias is contagious. Or...maybe....*audible gasp*....I have a legitimate point. What say you, Jsb?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/what-should-the-sabres-pay-rasmus-ristolainen-1.576476

I think TSN just did a very good jump summing up the entirety of this 11 page discussion. The author takes into points, tough minutes, bad partners, bad team, but also discusses his bad D performance relative to his teammates.

This is the classic case for a bridge deal and nothing more. Just as we should have done with Hodgson and Myers, a 2-3 year deal at good money and a promise for big big money if he develops into an all-star caliber player he thinks he is. Ultimately, we need D who can play D first, get the puck out second and score third. Risto isnt that player yet and he isn't Burns or Karlsson. Maybe GMTM will get this one right where Regier failed.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I say give him the 6mil but for only 3 years (he's not worth 6.5) and make him prove that he is a legit #1 guy. I thought about this a lot and I don't think he has done enough to warrant an 8yr deal or even a 6yr deal. I think last year was great but paying a guy for 1 year of production brings to mind Stafford, Leino, and the Cy Hgsn. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I say give him the 6mil but for only 3 years (he's not worth 6.5) and make him prove that he is a legit #1 guy. I thought about this a lot and I don't think he has done enough to warrant an 8yr deal or even a 6yr deal. I think last year was great but paying a guy for 1 year of production brings to mind Stafford, Leino, and the Cy Hgsn. 

Whoa.  Why would we give $6 mil per when we're only eating up strictly RFA years?  The comps supporting the $5 or $5.5 mil are eating up UFA years.  Not to mention the big deal by Ekblad which is 8 years and eats up even more.  If we're going a 3 year deal I don't even want to consider $5.5.  I'd be looking closer to a $4.5 or $5 at the most if it's a prove it deal.  I would go $6 mil if we're going 8 years. I know it's a risk but I think he's worth it.

I did laugh at the second part. At least you have some awareness of Bogosian's problems.

Apparently my anti-Bogo bias is contagious. Or...maybe....*audible gasp*....I have a legitimate point. What say you, Jsb?

I say he and our present D is not as bad as you make it out to be. Some of our issues lie with forwards not being as responsible on the back end of that 200 feet as they are on the front end. As for Bogosian, he'll never be the PP QB that GMTM wants, no issues with you there although in the preseason what does it hurt. In fact he was taking out ankles, shins, back of calves and Kane's backend which almost became comical, in fact it was, I'm not his coach.

We still need an upgrade to our D and I'd love to get our hands on one of the young Duck defenders to match up with Risto and move everyone else down a notch. To me we'd be set.

Franson won't remind anyone of speedy Gonzalez but on the 3rd pairing don't be surprised if he has a better year than anyone is predicting for him. He's a vet who knows his role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.