2015 NHL Playoffs -- Round 1

Hoss

I agree. I was shocked the announcers kept going on that was not a major cause Stones arm was not cracked in two...only league in the world where injury dictates the penalty. Can you see the NFL saying not roughing the passer unless the guy needs to come out of the game and miss the next 5.

Two handed overhand whack....if that is not a major with intent i dont know what is.

Peters was clamoring for a one or two game suspension.

Mods? There are no mods anymore. We're living in Escape From New York in here. You want anything done, you gotta see The Duke. I got all this complaining to do and that thread'll open up at 11:55 and before I'm done typing it will be locked again. Mods. Pffft!

I down with strep throat. Sorry.

@ByKevinAllen: Senators' Mark Stone broke his wrist on P.K. Subban's slash http://t.co/YV5I36Ud1pvia @usatoday

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Chris Neil skating on fourth line in practice. Might see him I guess in Game 2

Subban better keep his head up. Will he face the challenge or hide behind his teammates as usual.

@ByKevinAllen: Senators' Mark Stone broke his wrist on P.K. Subban's slash http://t.co/YV5I36Ud1pvia @usatoday

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Chris Neil skating on fourth line in practice. Might see him I guess in Game 2

Subban better keep his head up. Will he face the challenge or hide behind his teammates as usual.

Friday (or Game 3 in Ottawa) is going to be a bloodbath because the league didn't do its job.  AGAIN.

He definitely meant to slash him and that's a penalty, 2 min. There's just something about the way Stone made it look like he got shot, glancing at the ref to make sure he saw him looking like he got shot, that doesn't sit well with me. Almost like he knew if he acted really injured (he wasn't, he went to the tunnel to make it look good and then played his next shift) it would get PK thrown out.

The problem stems from the leagues absolutely stupid discipline system. Subban has seen the likes of Chara do the same thing and not even get penalized. There is no consistency.

Friday (or Game 3 in Ottawa) is going to be a bloodbath because the league didn't do its job. AGAIN.

I'd send Near after Subban every shift. Cheap shot, boarding, slashing, take him out. The league is so stupid.

The problem stems from the leagues absolutely stupid discipline system. Subban has seen the likes of Chara do the same thing and not even get penalized. There is no consistency.

I'd send Near after Subban every shift. Cheap shot, boarding, slashing, take him out. The league is so stupid.

My expectation is that Bettman and/or Daly directly communicate to the teams about potential consequences if this happens. Maybe we'll see the second "player selection" penalty in league history!

Is Stone's wrist actually broken?  Also Bryan Murray will be addressing the media in Ottawa shortly.

Dear god this series is going to be hell

Murray says disturbing part for him is that he says Subban made a threat to Stone previous to the incident

Murray says he feels Subban deserves suspension

Edited by LGR4GM

My expectation is that Bettman and/or Daly directly communicate to the teams about potential consequences if this happens. Maybe we'll see the second "player selection" penalty in league history!

That's why it might not happen until game 3.  But it will happen unless someone steps in and overrules Quintal.

And ink:  your point about Subban seeing Chara do the same thing with no consequence is well taken.

Edited by Eleven

I am not going to comment other than PK Subban doing a 2 handed slash and then jumping up and down all upset about is HILARIOUS. 

A better question would be if Stone was McEichel and that slashed happened at any point in the season, how would you want the Buffalo Sabres to respond? 

How'd I want Buffalo to respond differs on the time of year:

Season: Brawl, Evander Kane needs to grab Subban and pummel him and the other Sabres need to go after any Montreal players they can to make sure the refs can't stop all the fights. Take the penalties, and play the rest of the game with more of an edge, and any other game that season we play them. Make Price's life a living hell too.

Playoffs: Closest guy goes after Subban, the rest grapple. For the rest of the series play every game with an immense physical presence, target their top skaters, especially Subban, to be drilled with clean hits as often as possible. See if you can run the goalie on "accident" a couple times just after the attack on McEichel. Make Montreal regret even touching our star. I'd even go as far as gun for their top players if the series is to be lost, (losing and in an elimination game) just to screw up their playoff victory chances. 

He definitely meant to slash him and that's a penalty, 2 min. There's just something about the way Stone made it look like he got shot, glancing at the ref to make sure he saw him looking like he got shot, that doesn't sit well with me. Almost like he knew if he acted really injured (he wasn't, he went to the tunnel to make it look good and then played his next shift) it would get PK thrown out.

I'm finally just seeing all of this now, so I'll throw in my two cents.  The penalty was legit, but Stone's reaction may be the most confusing thing I've seen in a while.  The flying elbow after the slash makes absolutely no sense.  I can't picture a guy being in the right state of mind to knowingly embellish when he's in serious pain like that, but that motion makes no sense.  We may have hit the ugly point where embellishment has become a reflex reaction.  The downward chop and the resulting upward recoil in pain just don't balance out.  I think I would have been content with the 5 minute major + game misconduct, paired along with 2 minutes for embellishment.  No one ever likes it, but it is in fact possible for both to occur.

Is Stone's wrist actually broken?  Also Bryan Murray will be addressing the media in Ottawa shortly.

Dear god this series is going to be hell

Murray says disturbing part for him is that he says Subban made a threat to Stone previous to the incident

Murray says he feels Subban deserves suspension

Never trust a single word that comes from the team of an injured player.  To this day I still don't trust the "Nathan Horton has a serious concussion" talk from the Boston-Vancouver cup given that they put him on a plane and flew him out to Vancouver for game 7.

Stone is no doubt hurt, but if Ottawa can have Montreal's best defenseman taken out of the series for a few games thanks to being a bit liberal with a medical diagnosis, you better believe they'll do it.  We're talking about a league where they get as mysterious as possible with the upper/lower body injury stuff.  They only put a more specific diagnosis out there if they stand to gain from it.  I'm still waiting for the day where a team starts reporting that "player X is out with a body injury".

I agree. If I were the NHL, max fine for Subban for the slash. Stone, max fine for embellishment with a warning about a suspension.  The coach, hefty fine and warning that he better think before he speaks.  Finally, Subban and Stone have to publicly apologize prior to the next game.  And then we move on.

Jeez first time I totally agree with you.. Spot on.

I completely disagree with the notion that Stone embellished there. A slash on the wrist brings a quick jolt of extreme pain. Stick on bone. Not fun.

PK Subban is one of my favorite players in the league. Heck, I spent hours voting for the guy for the NHL 15 cover, but that's a horrendous slash. Seems like he lost his cool and he should've gotten a one-game suspension (and Cameron should've been fined).

I hadn't seen his thread--Tank, I don't have you on ignore but your comment seems to have disappeared.

I do think it's less cluttered to have one thread per round.

That said, I don't really care who starts a thread, either, and it looks like you have some good info in yours, so my suggestion is that you edit your title, mods pin that one, and mods shut this one down.

What ? there is an ignore button ? :p

That's a bitch move by Subban.

Ottawa has players it can afford to lose for the entire playoffs if need be.  

There was no need to slash at all there.  He took a shot at one of the best players on the team.  He deserves more.

Oh well.  The league likes retribution.

I'm finally just seeing all of this now, so I'll throw in my two cents.  The penalty was legit, but Stone's reaction may be the most confusing thing I've seen in a while.  The flying elbow after the slash makes absolutely no sense.  I can't picture a guy being in the right state of mind to knowingly embellish when he's in serious pain like that, but that motion makes no sense.  We may have hit the ugly point where embellishment has become a reflex reaction.  The downward chop and the resulting upward recoil in pain just don't balance out.  I think I would have been content with the 5 minute major + game misconduct, paired along with 2 minutes for embellishment.  No one ever likes it, but it is in fact possible for both to occur.

I disagree.  Hit your thumb with a hammer and your arm will reflexively jerk back just like that.   Seems like a totally normal reaction to ...

I completely disagree with the notion that Stone embellished there. A slash on the wrist brings a quick jolt of extreme pain. Stick on bone. Not fun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.