2015 NHL Playoffs -- Round 1

Hoss

How does Anaheim still get a penalty even though replay showed a goal was scored and everything that happened after that is not supposed to count as evidenced by the clock being reset to the time of the goal??

That doesn't add up to me...so anything afterwards doesn't count, but a penalty committed afterwards does?

It's a really tough situation. What if a player commits a game misconduct after the missed goal? I think the penalty should stand.

How does Anaheim still get a penalty even though replay showed a goal was scored and everything that happened after that is not supposed to count as evidenced by the clock being reset to the time of the goal??

That doesn't add up to me...so anything afterwards doesn't count, but a penalty committed afterwards does?

I agree. Once that goal is scored and the clock is turned back, then in reality that penalty never happens. The league needs to do something about this. Like if it's a questionable call, then blow the whistle. What if a player gets injured during the time that shoud have not been played? It's a very tough situation in such a fast paced game. Maybe replay should be going on right after said questionable call and then relayed down to the officials to stop the play. Edited by Claude Balls

Maybe embellish isn't the right word, but there is definitely a "hey look at me" factor that is grilled into people at this point when they get hurt. Just because you do actually get hurt doesn't mean you don't try to sell it as well. That reaction looked a bit too big to me.

Have you ever been hit on the big bone in your wrist by a metal stick before? I have as I played goalie my whole life. It hurts and it hurts bad for at least five minutes. There was no embellishment and who are you to say he was overreacting? Until you've actually been there then it's best to not comment. Stones playoffs are probably over because of a two handed baseball swing to a basically bare wrist that broke a bone. You guys that assume everything, but have never actually been there are ridiculous. I love PK, but that was a punk move.

Edited by Claude Balls

This Detroit-Tampa series is going to be fun. I love offense. 

Stamkos just shot a puck directly into his own player's face.  :blink:

That series is all about Petr Mrazek for me. If Mrazek can solidify his spot as the #1 goalie that could mean Jimmy Howard becomes a viable option for he Sabres.   

That series is all about Petr Mrazek for me. If Mrazek can solidify his spot as the #1 goalie that could mean Jimmy Howard becomes a viable option for he Sabres.

Jimmy Howard doesn't even move the needle for me. Average skill set, often injured. Still doesn't have the starting goalie gig locked down after all this time.

I'll pass. We have plenty of options.

Jimmy Howard doesn't even move the needle for me. Average skill set, often injured. Still doesn't have the starting goalie gig locked down after all this time.

I'll pass. We have plenty of options.

Agree. We lived in Detroit for 6 years and the Wings are still my wife's favorite team so we watch them a lot. She wants two things gone from that team: Babcock (they need new blood) and Howard (he sucks).

Not completely kidding. I absolutely believe that him being black effects how people view what he does on the ice. I unfortunately have an entire text chain on my phone about the incident from all the guys on my hockey team. Good guys that all have some level of bias that I wish they didn't have.

Look at it this way, think of all the stuff Chara has done that he never got suspended for, or even a penalty in some cases. Do you think that would have been the case if he was black? I don't. Not a big deal, just sayin'.

Your second sentence may be right with respect to some people.

Your second paragraph--note, Subban wasn't suspended, either!  And plenty of people bitch about Chara.  Not just Sabres fans.  E.g., http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/10/27/5032300/nhl-suspension-zdeno-chara-tommy-wingels-michael-grabner-nathan-gerbe

Not completely kidding. I absolutely believe that him being black effects how people view what he does on the ice. I unfortunately have an entire text chain on my phone about the incident from all the guys on my hockey team. Good guys that all have some level of bias that I wish they didn't have.

Look at it this way, think of all the stuff Chara has done that he never got suspended for, or even a penalty in some cases. Do you think that would have been the case if he was black? I don't. Not a big deal, just sayin'.

Maybe.  As for the Chara stuff I personally think he should get suspended.  

I should add I was for fines against Subban and Stone, not suspension.  Those types of slashes are far too common and the NHL refuses to do anything.  

Can't believe how much interference is going on. It's almost like offensive linemen protecting a passer when a puck gets shot in 

Can the NHL PLEASE start calling interference on a play where a guy dumps the puck in to chase it and the dman just holds the forward up? Beauchemin just completely knocked Wheeler down a good three strides after he dumped the puck in.

Seriously! Unbelievable they way they block the forecheckers now. 

I'm guessing its a reaction to concussions? 

It's a really tough situation. What if a player commits a game misconduct after the missed goal? I think the penalty should stand.

Agreed. With the alternate reading, player sees that the puck clearly was in but play continues. Player knows that none of this counts so skates over and commits some egregious offence to someone on the other team. (PK Subban slash, McSorely, etc.). When it's ruled a goal, that can't get erased.

Have you ever been hit on the big bone in your wrist by a metal stick before? I have as I played goalie my whole life. It ###### hurts and it hurts bad for at least five minutes. There was no embellishment and who are you to say he was overreacting? Until you've actually been there then it's best to not comment. Stones playoffs are probably over because of a two handed baseball swing to a basically bare wrist that broke a bone. You guys that assume everything, but have never actually been there are ridiculous. I love PK, but that was a punk move.

Shrader and I both play. We both know how to embellish (I'm assuming Shrader does). It may have hurt him, but Stone embellished.

And I'll believe his playoffs are over when he's not on the ice for the next game. The way that coach was talking after the game shows me he's not against some gamesmanship.

If metal sticks are a fact of life, maybe pads need to be developed to cover that area just behind the glove on the forearm.  Or the NHL needs to come up with a bigger disincentive (mandatory suspensions for breaking bones with an illegal hit or slash?)

Have you ever been hit on the big bone in your wrist by a metal stick before? I have as I played goalie my whole life. It ###### hurts and it hurts bad for at least five minutes. There was no embellishment and who are you to say he was overreacting? Until you've actually been there then it's best to not comment. Stones playoffs are probably over because of a two handed baseball swing to a basically bare wrist that broke a bone. You guys that assume everything, but have never actually been there are ridiculous. I love PK, but that was a punk move.

Shrader and I both play. We both know how to embellish (I'm assuming Shrader does). It may have hurt him, but Stone embellished.

And I'll believe his playoffs are over when he's not on the ice for the next game. The way that coach was talking after the game shows me he's not against some gamesmanship.

Years ago I took a double handed slash that got me across both arms right above the glove.  I remember the feeling.  I also remember being able to play without problem but if I had tried to do a push up, or use my arms to push myself up from a table I would be in excruciating pain.  That only lasted 9 months though..... ugh.

If metal sticks are a fact of life, maybe pads need to be developed to cover that area just behind the glove on the forearm. Or the NHL needs to come up with a bigger disincentive (mandatory suspensions for breaking bones with an illegal hit or slash?)

Metal sticks?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.