Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

He was here for one season and it was the year that the wheels started to fall off for Fitz here... He was the Jets QB coach the last two seasons. He was Chad Henne's QB coach in Miami and they drafted Tannehill in the first after he left. Not excited about that move either.

On Schwartz: I don't think he'll want to stick around. Rex wants to bring his defensive coordinator over from the Jets so why would Schwartz want to work in between them?

So Lee couldn't make Fitz, Henne or Smith to play like Andrew Luck, what s bum,

I think Schwartz stays, Ryan and the Pegulas can be pretty persuasive. Besides, his best chance of a head job is continuing the success he already has had here.

I think Schwartz stays, Ryan and the Pegulas can be pretty persuasive. Besides, his best chance of a head job is continuing the success he already has had here.

Sure, but what is a QB coach worth if he's getting the bare minimum out of his position?

I get that the players are what really matter but if it's so black and white why even hire position coaches? It's too easy to just say "they suck."

I don't know why Schwartz wouldn't want to stay. It seems like a good situation for him. Rex would be crazy to want him out of the picture.

Sure, but what is a QB coach worth if he's getting the bare minimum out of his position?

I get that the players are what really matter but if it's so black and white why even hire position coaches? It's too easy to just say "they suck."

I'm not not saying that coaching doesn't matter but I am against saying that he's no good and just listing who played for him. Maybe he does suck but I need more info.

My 2 cents:

- I am pretty psyched about Rex. As others have noted, I find it highly significant that the Bills got one of the most-coveted available coaches and weren't regarded as untouchable/Siberia/NFW by those coaches.

- The Bills probably had to pay a bit more to get him than some other teams would have, although $5.75MM per year isn't crazy money -- there are 10 NFL coaches making $6MM or more. I doubt there are many 5-year contracts out there, though.

- The 5-year contract makes me think that Rex will have plenty of power internally if there are any disagreements with Whaley.

- Another plus: the entertainment factor just shot up. Have the Bills ever had a loud, boisterous, charismatic, larger-than-life coach like Rex?

- I think there is another move coming for a QB. Rex can't be OK with another no-viable-QB situation -- I think he would've wanted some assurances on that from TP before accepting. And I don't think he'd accept Sanchez.

- I'm going to re-watch the "Hard Knocks" series between now and September.

- Halle-freakin-lujah. This may or may not work, but there is no question that the Bills, as an organization, are trying again.

Now let's go get a GD snack.

It sounds like the press conference for Rex will not be until Wednesday. Most certainly trying not to overshadow Hasek Day Tuesday. And perhaps waiting until the offensive/defensive coordinators are defined?

I'm thinking the timing has 0% to do with Hasek day. Nobody in football even know who he is.

...except the owners of the Bills. They may simply want to let Hasek have his day before switching to football matters.

I mean Rex's presser is going to be early in the day and Hasek's thing is only going to be Game time so there wouldn't be any overlap.

Oh yeah, ###### Dominik Hasek!!

Pettine's defense was great--it was worse against the run than Schwartz's, but it was better against the pass. Total defensive DVOA this year the Bills ranked 2nd in the NFL, and in 2013 they ranked 4th. I honestly think people are worrying about the defense without cause.

I believe I said this at the beginning of last year too when someone said the defense wasn't going to be the same.

With Roman coming, add

Gore

Crabtree

Vernon Davis and Tank's favorite

Mike Iupati

as free agents or soon to be free agents in play and maybe Kapernick.

I would not mind acquiring any of the above names.

Honestly, I like the Ryan hire. Didn't at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I like it. He's a players coach, and this team is far better than some of those Jets teams he had. All he needs are a couple offensive upgrades and we're in business.

I believe I said this at the beginning of last year too when someone said the defense wasn't going to be the same.

That was probably in response to Tank saying it was going to be historically bad. Feel free to have some fun with that, the rest of us certainly have :P

Separately: A quantification of clutch! http://fivethirtyeig...is-eli-manning/

I haven't actually read the article yet, so I can't comment on if I buy it or not, but it looks interesting.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This is a great article about Rex: http://grantland.com...exs-last-stand/

Good article.

Now I am convinced I don't like the hire. As that article points out, he is an open mouth, insert foot, snake-bit coach. He'll make headlines fo-sure, but his history is that of a walking disaster. We would have been better off with him as a DC. That's my take.

I'm thinking the timing has 0% to do with Hasek day. Nobody in football even know who he is.

Not it really does, according to the reports. You can't seriously think that about Bills fans, right? I would say at least 50% of Bills fans in the area are somewhat big Sabres fans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.