Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Pegula wanted an experienced head coach, which makes sense given he is a new owner who just got burned by the outgoing head coach.

The obvious difference with the Bills now relative to the past 15+ years of misery is we have a free spending owner instead of a miserly owner. That alone give me hope.

Looks like the NY times 4th down Bot was not a fan of the 4th down decisions Rex made. Let's hope Rex allows his new OC to decide what to do.

Whether to go on 4th is a head coach decision. It affects the defense and ST, too.

Let's hope he gets better.

Not sure how I feel about this one yet. He's a great player's coach, and he has HC experience unlike a lot of the other candidates we were looking at, but he's a 3-4 coach coming into a team with the best defensive line in the league. I'm interested to see who's scheme dominates the defense; shwartz's 4-3 stop the run or Ryan's 3-4 blitz heavy with a solid CB. I don't see the need in fixing what isn't broken in the defense, but there will definitely be changes

Ryan is a leader who puts team first; Marrone is ladder climber who put himself first.

This is a clear improvement.

Defence will remain excellent whether Schwartz stays or not. If he stays, I don't expect head-butting over schemes.

Schwartz and Ryan are smart enough to know that another year like last one is the best thing for the team and for Schwartz's career.

I like what I read about Roman. He looks like an excellent fit to build an offence that Manuel can be effective in.

Clear improvement here too.

Now go get an elite guard. a monster TE, and somebody to compete with EJ..

Edited by dudacek

Looks like the NY times 4th down Bot was not a fan of the 4th down decisions Rex made. Let's hope Rex allows his new OC to decide what to do.

I fully expect him to drive me (and others) nuts with this sort of thing continuing. I still think he's a helluva coach and the best hire we could have made. After all, plenty of winning coaches (including championship winners) make just as many bad decisions.

Not sure how I feel about this one yet. He's a great player's coach, and he has HC experience unlike a lot of the other candidates we were looking at, but he's a 3-4 coach coming into a team with the best defensive line in the league. I'm interested to see who's scheme dominates the defense; shwartz's 4-3 stop the run or Ryan's 3-4 blitz heavy with a solid CB. I don't see the need in fixing what isn't broken in the defense, but there will definitely be changes

I'm not sure why this is a big deal at all--we ran his scheme two years ago under Pettine.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal at all--we ran his scheme two years ago under Pettine.

We ran the 3-4 with a DC who fully believes on it, and with less success than we had with the 4-3 this year too.

The length of 5 years or Ryan, who gave up coaching Matt Ryan for EJ Manuel, makes me wonder if Whaley has a plan for QB this offseason or if he's not insane in believing in Manuel and somehow convinced Rec that EJ can win

We ran the 3-4 with a DC who fully believes on it, and with less success than we had with the 4-3 this year too.

Pettine's defense was great--it was worse against the run than Schwartz's, but it was better against the pass. Total defensive DVOA this year the Bills ranked 2nd in the NFL, and in 2013 they ranked 4th. I honestly think people are worrying about the defense without cause.

Intriguing, not what I was expecting. I guess I'm OK with it, big??? Qb and OC will make or break this decision.

He knows how to beat NE. So that is a plus.

He's also taken a team w/out a QB to the AFC title game twice.

Hope it works out. Whether it does or doesn't, it shows a clear break from RW's mode of operation.

Will be real interested in hearing how Whaley presents him.

I think ryan signed on , not only for the paycheck, but probably got promised he could build his offense the way he liked.

Also probably promised he could hire some of his former assistants as well.

Meaning someone else than EJ will be the QB, and a changing offensive line.

Edited by Heimdall

I've been reading a lot of posts suggesting players who played under certain coordinator may follow them. Is that a thing?

It definitely happens for non-QB position players who are free agents, not sure if there's much precedent for QBs though (which makes sense, given the difference with that spot). Just with Ryan, I know Bart Scott and a couple of other Ravens followed him to NY.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.