The Science Thread

I am Defecting

If its a false report my bad. I can't help but wonder with all the ' rumours ' coming from various countries that there might be something to this. If true you'd think the groups doing it would continue to pooh pooh it. It certainly almost made me chock on my oatmeal this a.m.

It was startling, which is why I looked into it further.  To clarify, the rumors from a couple decades ago were proven false and this new story is an updated version of those false rumors.  Unfortunately those previous false rumors did have a negative impact on immunization programs in those countries (Mexico, Tanzania, Nicaragua, and the Philippines).

• 2 months later...

You're watching a Nobel Prize-worthy physics discovery as it happens, folks.

We can now detect massive, moving celestial objects that don't emit or reflect light, and enhance our investigation of those that do. It's an entirely new way to interrogate the cosmos.  Boundaries of human understanding will off at an outstanding rate.

So if we can do this, correct me if I'm wrong, we should soon be able to actually detect the big bang.

So is there any practical application of this knowledge that it can be applied to? Not being a wise guy, I would like to know.

Wellwe are only capable of observing so much of the universe around us. All of that "dark" universe just became observable to us. It's like a giant door opening, and it'll probably lead to a bounty of additional knowledge.

Bump ...

That Einstein was one smart dude ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ligo-gravitational-wave-1.3443697

Interesting. Didn't notice a link to the original paper. Have the results been confirmed independently? If so, this is major.

If not, hello "cold fusion."

Hope they're right. Pretty friggin' cool if they are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So are you ready to give up your gas guzzler for an Electric car?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2016/04/04/the-car-industry-has-never-witnessed-what-tesla-is-about-to-go-through/

Most of the best selling cars in America, such as the Honda Accord or Nissan Altima, generally hit around 300,000 in sales every year.

Tesla saw 276,000 people sign-up to buy its newest all-electric Model 3 sedan — in two days.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.