The Science Thread

I am Defecting

I don't recall the specifics, and I'm too lazy to google.  Memory sez that you wouldn't use any fuel in 95+% of commuter applications.  The generator was for distance driving.

Well, I'm certainly not going to research it either :lol: 

I'll concede the point, and stick to the power and looks arguments for Tesla.

I am well aware.  I don't get the mindset though.  The same technology is in a Volt and a Leaf.

It's the same reason people buy Beats headphones instead of Sennheiser or AKG or... at half the price that sound way better.

It's the same reason people buy Beats headphones instead of Sennheiser or AKG or... at half the price that sound way better.

But that's not the case here. Tesla vehicles are known for using high quality cabin materials and the like. Their drive and feel is amazing too.

I don't get the hoopla over a Tesla when Chevy Volts and Nissan Leafs don't sell.

The reason those cars don't sell is because they're not Tesla.

Yep. Tesla is the Apple, BMW, Big Green Egg, Victory Beer, etc. in this field; something fashionable and fancier than the competition and priced to match. And when we're talking pure electric cars, you're talking about people that have disposable income to spend on a luxury item (and probably have another car).

I haven't done the research, but the Volt is in competition with the Prius and other hybrids, and being more expensive it's not fairing well. The Leaf is a much smaller car that most Americans aren't usually interested in, and the top model has a range of just over 100 miles (new), which isn't a crazy amount to drive in a day. the model 3's quoted range is 215 miles, which isn't something many people do without planning.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the future

"The reports released confirm public claims made by the company in 2014 and 2015 that it may be able to construct a net energy gain prototype reactor by the end of 2019. EMC2 is presently seeking US$30 million in commercial funding and is understood to be in negotiations with institutions in one or more Asean countries."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Fusion-technology-breakthrough-could-herald-demise-30284280.html

Welcome to the future

"The reports released confirm public claims made by the company in 2014 and 2015 that it may be able to construct a net energy gain prototype reactor by the end of 2019. EMC2 is presently seeking US$30 million in commercial funding and is understood to be in negotiations with institutions in one or more Asean countries."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Fusion-technology-breakthrough-could-herald-demise-30284280.html

Interesting read, but I take "new fusion reactor coming in X years" stories in the same lights as, "If things go well, the Bills will make the playoffs next season" and the equally likely, "the South will rise again".

I disagree greatly with your reaction.

That's fair, I am pretty cynical. We can make an avatar bet on it: if there's not a working protoype by the end of 2020 (I'm giving an extra year here), you have to use a picture of a coal power plant of my choosing; if you win I'll use a picture of a Ford or Gillette Fusion as my avatar from Jan 1 2021 until the prototype is production capable.

That's fair, I am pretty cynical. We can make an avatar bet on it: if there's not a working protoype by the end of 2020 (I'm giving an extra year here), you have to use a picture of a coal power plant of my choosing; if you win I'll use a picture of a Ford or Gillette Fusion as my avatar from Jan 1 2021 until the prototype is production capable.

lol, and how long does my avatar last?

I'd say when the last coal plant in the US closes, but let's say 1 year. :)

lol I will be dead when the last coal fired us power plan closes.

Fine if by 2020 we don't have a working prototype I get a coal plant for 1 year or if we do you get a ford fiesta

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a replay of the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch this morning. They did a GREAT job of the live feed, great camera action, great timeline feature, and they also spent some time describing many aspects of the launch for those who might not be entirely familiar with the program and the launch process. 

• 3 months later...

US Surgeon General Calling for addiction to be treated as a Chronic Disease as opposed to character flaw. Figured it belonged in the Science thread because the science behind addiction has grown immensely in the last 15 years. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38015122

"Surgeon General Vivek Murthy said addiction should be seen as a chronic illness, not a character flaw.

In a report on addiction in the US, he says 20 million people abuse substances - more than have cancer.

On average, the report says, 78 Americans a day die of an opioid overdose - and about 12.5 million are addicted to prescription painkillers."

Edited by LGR4GM

Amerika  - where we treat people with chronic medical conditions (addicts) like common criminals and jail them with violent cons and career criminals, and the insane (since we've also cut way back on mental health facilities).   Great rehab right there -  if they didn't need drugs before to escape reality, they will if they survive their incarceration, and subsequent inability to get a decent job due to their criminal record.    How dare they be sick in our nation?  

Amerika - where we treat people with chronic medical conditions (addicts) like common criminals and jail them with violent cons and career criminals, and the insane (since we've also cut way back on mental health facilities). Great rehab right there - if they didn't need drugs before to escape reality, they will if they survive their incarceration, and subsequent inability to get a decent job due to their criminal record. How dare they be sick in our nation?

Gotta create jobs in dying manufacturing towns somehow. Make America Prison Guards Again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.