The Science Thread

I am Defecting

I've been ready. The prices, however, still aren't ready for me.

Yea, once Tesla has a legit AWD SUV that I can get realitively loaded for about 40k even, then I might go in that direction but until then, out of my price range. Also the Model 3 put the instrument cluster in the center, not directly in front of the driver and I absolutely loathe that setup.

I heard the cords are really long and can get tangled up.

It's okay, Tesla is giving away those free chord winders like you see for hoses!

series_100_challenger_hose_reels.jpg

What's a charge going to cost me? At home vs. on the road? Are charging stations handy? Will the cost of a charge go up or down if most cars on the road are electric?

There are roughly 7200 charging areas across the US, Tesla I think has a map with where you can get a charge. I do not know the current cost. The cost would go up depending on how we are generating that electricity. For instance if we processed our nuclear waste and reused the fuel and built more Nuclear PP the cost would probably go down. If a new technology like electrostatic confinement fusion became economically viable (20years away at least) then cost would go down. A lot of variables.

I really enjoy what Tesla is doing with their strategy. If you build it, they will come. It's a bold move and I appreciate that Elon Musk doesn't care about losing money to do it. 

The reality of transportation is that the future is going to be one without fossil fuels and internal combustion in the traditional sense. This is also the reality of energy in general. One way or another, we can and will move away from fossil fuels. And the time is now for America to be one of the countries on the cutting edge of it. It makes me proud to see what Musk is doing, because I believe he typifies this romantic idea of the Great American Entrepreneur, something we are terribly short in supply of. Sure, he was born in South Africa, yadayada, but he's set up shop here and he's employing my friends and former classmates to do super cool things. To push the envelope of science while at the same time doing it with good business sense and an eye for developing product markets.

I hope the Model 3 really takes off. Setting up the infrastructure to make it a viable transportation option was the first step and I believe he's done a good job of this. 

The next step is putting people in the seats of electric cars to show them how excellent they are. My boss owns a Model S and it's just the coolest feeling to drive around in it. Acceleration like nothing you've ever driven, and super quiet. This is the sound and feel of the future of cars, and it's magnificent. 

I hope this country will continue electing leaders who have their eyes set to the future and understand the value of spending American tax dollars on innovation. Even when some things don't bear fruit, it's important that this country take risks to guarantee our economic and technological superiority. 

The technology that supports this move to electric cars is now becoming very good. I see no reason why we shouldn't see large scale adoption over the next 20 years. 

I've been ready. The prices, however, still aren't ready for me.

They went from 95k to 35k with this recent model. 

What's a charge going to cost me? At home vs. on the road? Are charging stations handy? Will the cost of a charge go up or down if most cars on the road are electric?

Great article here, PA. Keep in mind, it's based on the old Tesla model that cost 95k. Same saving apply though, I believe

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/041515/economics-owning-tesla-car.asp

Trending in the right direction, to be sure. But reasonable options put it over 40k and my price range is around $25k and will be for the foreseeable future.

Definitely still very expensive. Though, the lease options are entirely possibly, and with the savings, it's very possible expensive af

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/28/698month-tesla-model-s-lease-now-on-the-table/($698/month lease for the new model) 

Edited by WildCard

They went from 95k to 35k with this recent model. 

Great article here, PA. Keep in mind, it's based on the old Tesla model that cost 95k. Same saving apply though, I believe

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/041515/economics-owning-tesla-car.asp

Thanks. Just glancing at it, saving only 50% using electric over gas is not terribly enticing to me. A 30 MPG Toyota driven 15,000 miles a year -- $1,200. The Tesla -- $600. Meh.

Nonsense. Unless you consider Altima-class cars to be economy cars, in which case, we strongly disagree on what an economy car is :)

You set your price at 25k, which for most people is buying something that was cheaper and has been optioned up. You're shopping for an Elantra if 25k is your limit. 

You set your price at 25k, which for most people is buying something that was cheaper and has been optioned up. You're shopping for an Elantra if 25k is your limit. 

Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope nooooooooooooooooooooooope!

Most options are useless fluff, IMO. Cars come with so much base equipment these days that I can't believe how much people pay for extraneous options like a panoramic sunroof. Base Altima 3.5 comes with everything I'd desire: Bluetooth, "premium" sound, smartkey, backup camera, all the safety stuff, LED headlights. All for $28k before incentives and negotiating. Could I load it up for over $32k to get leather, enhanced lighting, remote start, chrome body moldings, and other fluff? Sure, but those are all chic features I neither need nor want, and would never buy unless money were no object (in which case I'd be shopping at Towne BMW anyway...). 

Give me a midsize sedan with the engine upgrade and I'm almost certainly good to go from there. There's no way in the world I'd pay for a fully loaded Sentra over an Altima. Maybe I'm just abnormal? :lol:

Most options are useless fluff, IMO. Cars come with so much base equipment these days that I can't believe how much people pay for extraneous options like a panoramic sunroof. Base Altima 3.5 comes with everything I'd desire: Bluetooth, "premium" sound, smartkey, backup camera, all the safety stuff, LED headlights. All for $28k before incentives and negotiating. Could I load it up for over $32k to get leather, enhanced lighting, remote start, chrome body moldings, and other fluff? Sure, but those are all chic features I neither need nor want, and would never buy unless money were no object (in which case I'd be shopping at Towne BMW anyway...). 

Give me a midsize sedan with the engine upgrade and I'm almost certainly good to go from there. There's no way in the world I'd pay for a fully loaded Sentra over an Altima. Maybe I'm just abnormal? :lol:

You're not the average car buyer my friend. Neither am I. I bought the base model Golf TDI when I went to the dealer because I also didn't want any of that extra stuff. Most people can't help themselves though, and what should have been a Toyota Camry might as well be a Lexus by the time they walk off the lot. Anyone who is looking at a Tesla Model 3 is the kind of person who buys an optioned out Prius. That is neither of us. 

God, I remember when I traded in for my current Subaru and the aux jack and bluetooth magic was standard... wowzers. 

I'm the idiot that waits an extra six months so they can ship a freakin' manual across the Pacific because I won't drive automatic. 

I had to drive a few rental cars that were all optioned up a couple years ago after an accident and all that extra sh!t drove me crazy- it was like rolling around in a sensory deprivation box. No wonder no one can freakin' drive anymore. Too busy fiddling with their crazy extra entertainment systems and buttons and bells and whistles..

...but I won't knock the heated seats. I would accept the title of hedonist for heated seats. Unnghhh.... toasty buns.. 

You're not the average car buyer my friend. Neither am I. I bought the base model Golf TDI when I went to the dealer because I also didn't want any of that extra stuff. Most people can't help themselves though, and what should have been a Toyota Camry might as well be a Lexus by the time they walk off the lot. Anyone who is looking at a Tesla Model 3 is the kind of person who buys an optioned out Prius. That is neither of us. 

It's just a bit too rich for me, but if I were in the market for a new car I'd certainly be looking at it. 3 years ago not a chance (even with today's car) because I drove a lot more. Now if I'm going somewhere, it's in Van-dor so my car rarely goes anywhere other than work and errands, the ideal option for an electric car. I'm seriously considering "downgrading" my car to something small and cheap to own to save money. If I want fun, I still have a bike.

Well, not when you count the gas component. But isn't just the electric charge on the Volt a pretty short range?

I don't recall the specifics, and I'm too lazy to google.  Memory sez that you wouldn't use any fuel in 95+% of commuter applications.  The generator was for distance driving.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.