The Science Thread

I am Defecting

This guys ideas are really starting impress me. Could he really make this a reality?http://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-internet-satellite-constellation-2016-11

It's been tried before with the Iridium project in the late 90s (and still going). That hasn't been a commercial success, almost all the sales end up with the US government. The problem is the user terminals and phones for Iridium are on the big side, and this proposal has the satellites twice as far out. Maybe the technology has advanced enough that the launch costs and space hardware drag the costs down, but I don't think the phones will be small enough for most people to give up their current models. Iridium is also pretty expensive to subscribe, I think it's something like $1000/month. I'd love to see it happen on a less expensive scale, not so much now, but I used to ride a lot and end up out of cell coverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

But that's not the case here. Tesla vehicles are known for using high quality cabin materials and the like. Their drive and feel is amazing too.

Compared to what?  A horse and buggy?

If you have 3 hours to spare and enjoy science, listen to/watch this: 

It's been tried before with the Iridium project in the late 90s (and still going). That hasn't been a commercial success, almost all the sales end up with the US government. The problem is the user terminals and phones for Iridium are on the big side, and this proposal has the satellites twice as far out. Maybe the technology has advanced enough that the launch costs and space hardware drag the costs down, but I don't think the phones will be small enough for most people to give up their current models. Iridium is also pretty expensive to subscribe, I think it's something like $1000/month. I'd love to see it happen on a less expensive scale, not so much now, but I used to ride a lot and end up out of cell coverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

I spent 20 years in the industry, first with COMSAT and then with Orbital Sciences and the technology has advanced to the point where it's both feasible and not nearly as cost prohibitive. But the sheer amount of bureaucratic red tape and international cooperation required, both from the government and commercial sectors involved, make it a tall mountain to climb, if not impossible to overcome. 

Tesla ranked 25th out of 29 auto companies tested by Consumer Reports. That's pretty lousy.

Was that w/ or w/out their electric car adder? Last year they had one of the cars (Prius maybe?) that they gave a better than 100 score. :doh:

Ever since Tellado took over, they've gone seriously downhill. :censored:

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.seeker.com/star-in-a-jar-fusion-reactor-works-and-promises-infinite-energy-2134228965.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5848866ab8a9fe00074b5f82&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

'Star in a Jar’ Fusion Reactor Works and Promises Infinite Energy

New tests verify that Germany's Wendelstein 7-X fusion energy device is on track to safely suspend plasma in magnetic fields.

http://www.seeker.com/star-in-a-jar-fusion-reactor-works-and-promises-infinite-energy-2134228965.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5848866ab8a9fe00074b5f82&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

'Star in a Jar’ Fusion Reactor Works and Promises Infinite Energy

New tests verify that Germany's Wendelstein 7-X fusion energy device is on track to safely suspend plasma in magnetic fields.

I feel like we're on a cusp of a few major scientific breakthroughs within the next decade. Providing of course the world doesn't descend into anti-intellectual nationalism and start burning scientists at the stake. 

I feel like we're on a cusp of a few major scientific breakthroughs within the next decade. Providing of course the world doesn't descend into anti-intellectual nationalism and start burning scientists at the stake. 

I think you meant to say "further" descend. 

• 2 weeks later...

I figure since there is a religion thread going, I'd fire this back up.

In case anyone doesn't know, tonight is the longest night of the year. To add the that, there is a lunar eclipse starting at 1ish and going for a couple of hours, making this the darkest night in 500 years. Pretty cool.

I figure since there is a religion thread going, I'd fire this back up.

In case anyone doesn't know, tonight is the longest night of the year. To add the that, there is a lunar eclipse starting at 1ish and going for a couple of hours, making this the darkest night in 500 years. Pretty cool.

That must be why I'm real depressed tonight.

I miss playing roller hockey outside until 9pm.

• 6 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.