The Science Thread

I am Defecting

Ok, Physics people, I need two ideas explained to me better, because I'm having trouble, and I'm sure there are clearer explanations than the ones I've received:

1- The universe is expanding, but it has no boundary, so it's not expanding into anything.

2- There is no 'before the big bang' because time wasn't a thing until the big bang happened.

Much obliged,

Whiskey

Don't forget them black holes which I think is the mathematicians equivalent to imaginary numbers.

Gonna make this brief, but if you have more questions I would love to answer them. Intel can no longer keep up with Moore's Law; within the next decade they know they will ultimately fail the famous model that is one of the largest reasons for computer innovation in the last 50 years. So, what do they do? They'll try another manner of transistors, but it is physically impossible, because eventually the heat will melt the chip.

So, what are we left with. QUANTUM COMPUTERS. Learn it, love it, live it. These babies will be the next age of computing. They will be the next age of science. They will be the most important breakthrough since microprocessors or transistors. And, guess what? They're well on their way.

http://www.dwavesys.com/press-releases/d-wave-systems-breaks-1000-qubit-quantum-computing-barrier

I mean....just think about it guys. It's ###### beautiful what these things can do. And we'll be alive for it! Our kids won't know how life was before them. Well, maybe not, because they probably won't be personalized like that. But, science! Science guys, science is going to cry for these things. So, so much data, more than we can even comprehend, can be processed in under a second. Space travel, elections, health studies, best-possible scenarios, SPACE. God I can't ###### wait

Interesting stuff.

Liquid water currently on mars.

Send people, send them immediately. 

That was kind of my reaction to.  Make sure you pack plenty of straws.

Unless I am missing the cosmic significance of this, BFD.  It still is a waste land drifting in space for eons.

That was kind of my reaction to.  Make sure you pack plenty of straws.

Unless I am missing the cosmic significance of this, BFD.  It still is a waste land drifting in space for eons.

IF there is life there, liquid water will contain it. 1st best chance for us to find out "we are not alone."

IF there is life there, liquid water will contain it. 1st best chance for us to find out "we are not alone."

Well put. I would suggest that this finding should be enough to take the next scheduled lander and completely re-purpose it's science mission. Find the water, collect the water, test the water. There are so many questions a single analysis of this water could answer, and so many more that it could raise.

Mars 2020 is our next rover launch, The Russians are launching ExoMars in 2018. I say we make it a race.

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Well put. I would suggest that this finding should be enough to take the next scheduled lander and completely re-purpose it's science mission. Find the water, collect the water, test the water. There are so many questions a single analysis of this water could answer, and so many more that it could raise.

Mars 2020 is our next rover launch, The Russians are launching ExoMars in 2018. I say we make it a race.

I am not sure if they are allowed to collect the water. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34379284

"Current internationally agreed rules state that missions should be wary of going to places on Mars where there is likely to be liquid water.

A UK space agency expert on Mars landing sites, Dr Peter Grindrod, told BBC News: "Planetary protection states that we can't go anywhere there is liquid water because we can't sterilise our spacecraft well enough to guarantee we won't contaminate these locations. So if an RSL is found within the landing zone of a probe, then you can't land there.""

I am not sure if they are allowed to collect the water. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34379284

"Current internationally agreed rules state that missions should be wary of going to places on Mars where there is likely to be liquid water.

A UK space agency expert on Mars landing sites, Dr Peter Grindrod, told BBC News: "Planetary protection states that we can't go anywhere there is liquid water because we can't sterilise our spacecraft well enough to guarantee we won't contaminate these locations. So if an RSL is found within the landing zone of a probe, then you can't land there.""

wow, that's awesome that they actually put something like this into place! 

This is a technical challenge that can be overcome.

Yep. If you can get from not even having manned orbiters to landing men on the moon and returning them safely in well under a decade, you should be able to sterilize a probe in under 5 years.

Edited by Taro T

Yep. If you can get from not even having manned orbiters to landing men on the moon and returning them safely in well under a decade, you should be able to sterilize a probe in under 5 years.

I think it's more about a risk-reward situation. Sure, we could probably solve the problem, but the cost of an "oops" is contaminating or possibly destroying the only other possible life in the universe we know of.

Edited by MattPie

Your abduction (with probing) already closed that deal for you?

I just refuse to believe in a cosmos that contained billions and billions of stars that life (as however you define it), popped up in just one place.  It's really laughable to believe we are THE singular example of life across the cosmos.

I just refuse to believe in a cosmos that contained billions and billions of stars that life (as however you define it), popped up in just one place.  It's really laughable to believe we are THE singular example of life across the cosmos.

That's probably why you're in this thread and not the Theology thread.

Yea, but we all know that never actually happened ;)

Oh, it happened, just not when we were told it happened.

I'm looking forward to the Purell Mars Lander Missions.

:lol:

Yea, but we all know that never actually happened ;)

:lol: :lol:

True. But until extra-terrestrial life is discovered, as far as we can prove, life on Earth is the singular example of life in the universe.

That's probably why you're in this thread and not the Theology thread.

Oh, it happened, just not when we were told it happened.

I watched Room 237 recently (documentary about Kubrick's The Shining).  One of the nerds that speaks in it claims that a lot of the visual themes are deeply rooted in Kubrick's involvement with faking the moon landing and feeling the weight of keeping that secret.

I watched Room 237 recently (documentary about Kubrick's The Shining).  One of the nerds that speaks in it claims that a lot of the visual themes are deeply rooted in Kubrick's involvement with faking the moon landing and feeling the weight of keeping that secret.

I just watched that. Some interesting stuff,… some way out there cuckoobird stuff too, but still pretty good.

This article made me think of the quantum computer stuff and Moore's law: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/science/ibm-scientists-find-new-way-to-shrink-transistors.html?partner=socialflow&smid=tw-nytimesbusiness&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/lKRwSBrjMx

Dear engineering nerds: is this a thing? Does it have hope? Or is it a tech company overselling preliminary findings to extend a dying market? Any info beyond what's in the article would be appreciated.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.