The Science Thread

I am Defecting

We could have had it built in the US too but in the end it's probably for the best that it isn't. I could see the tea party stopping the funding for it in order to give rich people another tax cut or something.

WTF is your problem? 

Huh. Found this somewhat overly dramatic documentary on the Cascadia subduction... Pretty much exactly the New Yorker article, even has the same experts interviewed. It was posted on youtube back in 2011. 

If you can ignore the dramatic music and silly screen shakes, there are some nice visualizations. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yukp0bPkQxs

Gee, did you notice all of the impending disasters in the "up next" queue on that page's right side?  It's amazing we're not all dead already.  Anyone want to bet which catastrophe strikes us next?  There are plenty to choose from.

WTF is your problem? 

Gee, did you notice all of the impending disasters in the "up next" queue on that page's right side?  It's amazing we're not all dead already.  Anyone want to bet which catastrophe strikes us next?  There are plenty to choose from.

I don't have a problem. I made a comment and I stand by said comment. If you have a problem with it, feel free to put me on ignore. Or go into a fake outrage. Or a real one. Whatever floats your boat.

i agree with that sentiment when it comes to meteors crashing into earth and the super volcano beneath yellowstone, but that cascadia subduction one is a horse of a different colour.

I think it'd be best to save political pot-shots for that other thread. Certainly not thread policing though, just my opinion. I like my science to be awe-inspiring, not headache-inducing : P 

Correct.

I don't have a problem. I made a comment and I stand by said comment. If you have a problem with it, feel free to put me on ignore. Or go into a fake outrage. Or a real one. Whatever floats your boat.

You can make and stand by all the comments you like, but please keep political comments in the politics thread.

Correct.

You can make and stand by all the comments you like, but please keep political comments in the politics thread.

Fair enough, although to be fair my comment had to do with science as well given that it was about the location of the LHC. Moving on though.

I'm interested in seeing more images of Pluto. Does anyone know if the probe is going to just orbit around everyone's favorite dwarf planet named after the cartoon dog or will it keep traveling out farther and investigate the other dwarf planets in the farthest reaches of our solar system?

Fair enough, although to be fair my comment had to do with science as well given that it was about the location of the LHC. Moving on though.

I'm interested in seeing more images of Pluto. Does anyone know if the probe is going to just orbit around everyone's favorite dwarf planet named after the cartoon dog or will it keep traveling out farther and investigate the other dwarf planets in the farthest reaches of our solar system?

It is long gone.  It can't orbit because it did not have fuel and equipment to apply the brakes.  It blew past yesterday and is on it's way further into the Kuiper belt.

It is long gone.  It can't orbit because it did not have fuel and equipment to apply the brakes.  It blew past yesterday and is on it's way further into the Kuiper belt.

Nice. Thanks for the update. It'll be interesting to see the other objects it encounters. I wonder it they find some new planets that are big enough to qualify as planets (and not be lumped in with the group of dwarf planets) and if they do, if there will be any resistance to add them to the list. Apparently the main reason they booted out pluto was because it's one of a dozen or more dwarves and they didn't think the general public was capable of learning/memorize 20+ planets and it was easier to kick pluto out than to add all the new ones.

Nice. Thanks for the update. It'll be interesting to see the other objects it encounters. I wonder it they find some new planets that are big enough to qualify as planets (and not be lumped in with the group of dwarf planets) and if they do, if there will be any resistance to add them to the list. Apparently the main reason they booted out pluto was because it's one of a dozen or more dwarves and they didn't think the general public was capable of learning/memorize 20+ planets and it was easier to kick pluto out than to add all the new ones.

I think it was because the scientist who discovered it chose to name it Xena and not stick with the Roman system. :)

I love the names they're giving features on Pluto though: Cthulu, Balrog, etc.

Oh yeah, forgot about this: The NASA Kepler Project has harvested and, thanks to the drastic spike in computational efficiency/power, processed an incredible amount of data since it's launch. A major discovery of that data today was Kepler 452b, the closest Earth-like planet ever discovered. At slightly more than 2x the mass of Earth, Kepler 452b has an orbit of 385 days around a star nearly the same size as ours, though emitting 10x more energy.

The only really terrible thing about this is, well, it sits about 1400 light years away. Or, about 550 million years away at the speed of ~58,000 km/h that the New Horizons journey took.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/24/science/space/kepler-data-reveals-what-might-be-best-goldilocks-planet-yet.html

Edit: Flagg beat me to it 

Edited by WildCard

Oh yeah, forgot about this: The NASA Kepler Project has harvested and, thanks to the drastic spike in computational efficiency/power, processed an incredible amount of data since it's launch. A major discovery of that data today was Kepler 452b, the closest Earth-like planet ever discovered. At slightly more than 2x the mass of Earth, Kepler 452b has an orbit of 385 days around a star nearly the same size as ours, though emitting 10x more energy.

The only really terrible thing about this is, well, it sits about 1400 light years away. Or, about 550 million years away at the speed of ~58,000 km/h that the New Horizons journey took.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/24/science/space/kepler-data-reveals-what-might-be-best-goldilocks-planet-yet.html

Edit: Flagg beat me to it 

so.... they don't know we are here yet.   :ph34r:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.