Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh, please know that I'm not coming at you.  I just don't see how the guy reasonably could feel threatened there.  I've never quite understood the stand-your-ground stuff in general, though.

tiny ***** syndrome 

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I said nothing about what response would be better, just what the legalities are.  I sat on a jury pool and they discussed some aspects of the case and this is exactly the scenario they discussed pre-trial and they said if someone said they felt threatened they can swing first and it's still considered self defense.

I thought that when I expressed a sentiment similar to yours they'd throw me off the jury but they didn't.

Which is why stand your ground laws are inherently flawed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Oh, please know that I'm not coming at you.  I just don't see how the guy reasonably could feel threatened there.  I've never quite understood the stand-your-ground stuff in general, though.

Personally, I think "just look at that guy" should be an acceptable legal defense for throwing a punch.

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

In New York, sure. 

Just about everywhere. It will be there too. Can't legitimately argue belief that life or property was in jeopardy, particularly in a place where everyone has already passed through security and metal detection so you have no reasonable expectation that the other person does or could possibly have a deadly weapon. Those laws also require equal levels of force when defending yourself. The loudmouth, though obnoxious, didn't touch the other guy let alone throw punches. One of those instances where if it was one word against the other it might work, but the video is pretty clear who initiated the physicality and who escalated the incident to a level requiring self defense. Hearing words that make you angry isn't a justification for a stand your ground defense.

Edited by Contempt

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Just about everywhere. It will be there too. Can't legitimately argue belief that life or property was in jeopardy and those laws also require equal levels of force when defending yourself. The loudmouth, though obnoxious, didn't touch the other guy let alone throw punches. One of those instances where if it was one word against the other it might work, but the video is pretty clear who initiated the physicality and who escalated the incident to a level requiring self defense. Hearing words that make you angry isn't a justification for a stand your ground defense.

I agree that there's no way he reasonably could have perceived himself to be in danger, but Texas is not (IMO) exactly an advanced society and I do not expect its laws to be rational.

Edited by Eleven

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Something something high ground.

But more importantly, it looks like all these Western teams are starting the post All-Star breaks with some east coast swings...  and mostly getting crushed. The standing will look brutal come Saturday morning.

Luckily we have a ton of games in hand (3 more games played for Washington, 4 for Florida and 5 for Islanders.) Plenty of time to make up ground

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Meanwhile, in Dallas (warning:  F-bombs):

And for the record, Texas is a stand-your-ground state.  It doesn't matter who swung first, if you feel threatened you're allowed to defend yourself.  Which the little boy apparently didn't know when he challenged the guy.

That was interesting. Obviously we can't know what preceded the altercation prior to the video, but the kid in the jersey called him a dumb ass ni**er. The punch was well deserved, and impo justified. I think the man showed great restraint by just holding him down and not beating the ***** out of him. 

• Agree 2

As I mentioned a couple months ago, notorious slow starter Sam Reinhart has predictably found his game: 15 points in his last 13 games, pacing again for 60+ points on the year. Remains to be seen if last year’s 82 is an outlier. He’s definitely a 60 point player for breakfast every year, Maurice tanking Florida this year probably lowered their scoring across the board as opposed to that team last year. 

2 hours ago, Hank said:

That was interesting. Obviously we can't know what preceded the altercation prior to the video, but the kid in the jersey called him a dumb ass ni**er. The punch was well deserved, and impo justified. I think the man showed great restraint by just holding him down and not beating the ***** out of him. 

I don’t think anyone questions whether he deserves it.  Clearly he trolling for conflict.  But in the words of Clint Eastwood, deserves got nothing to do with it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

So there’s no obligation, or at least an attempt, to de-escalate? We just start swinging because we feel like the words he used, “deserved it?” 

Neither of these people are well-adjusted adults. Like, grow up. 

2 hours ago, wiselyman3 said:

Luckily we have a ton of games in hand (3 more games played for Washington, 4 for Florida and 5 for Islanders.) Plenty of time to make up ground

The opposite side of the coin is those teams will have rest days while the Sabres are playing back to backs. They got to start hot out of the break as these other eastern teams have. They do that and they’re in the driver’s seat. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

So there’s no obligation, or at least an attempt, to de-escalate? We just start swinging because we feel like the words he used, “deserved it?” 

More like sober up too. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I don’t think anyone questions whether he deserves it.  Clearly he trolling for conflict.  But in the words of Clint Eastwood, deserves got nothing to do with it.

Always happy to set you up for a good movie quote. 

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Based on what I saw in the video the punch was justified imo. 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I wouldn’t say justified, because I wouldn’t say that it’s right to punch someone in the scenario.

But I would say that he was asking for it.  If you walk around acting and talking like a big bad a-hole, you will eventually come across someone who will take up the challenge.

• Like (+1) 1

Some of these young-uns have never in their lives faced consequences. Time outs don’t count. In my youth if you disrespected someone especially someone older than yourself you got a slap sometimes a punch and if they were real ornery a purple nurple (in my case once til the nipple bled). That taught me that if I disrespect someone  I’m potentially setting myself up for some pain. Then I turned 3. Calm down y’all I’m joking. But truthfully I took some pain in my youth for disrespecting and smart talk and it taught me not to be a smart ass. That kid in Dallas missed those lessons when he was given a time out.

That young guy was a douche, the punch was a bit far, but in a world of social media keyboard warriors, it's nice to see someone of that generation realize that you can't do whatever you want without some consequences. We've evolved as a society to a point, but that lesson has been forgotten by most of today's youth. 

Now with that being said, a good lawyer probably has a solid assault case with thst video evidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

If that is legal in Texas I really need to start crafting a list of people I want to fly to Texas with. I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head that deserve a good rap in the beak.

Edited by Contempt
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

As I mentioned a couple months ago, notorious slow starter Sam Reinhart has predictably found his game: 15 points in his last 13 games, pacing again for 60+ points on the year. Remains to be seen if last year’s 82 is an outlier. He’s definitely a 60 point player for breakfast every year, Maurice tanking Florida this year probably lowered their scoring across the board as opposed to that team last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.