Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Islanders looked really good shutting out the Kraken tonight. Horvat is making an impact. I think they are going to surge and you might as well kiss one wildcard spot goodbye. 

The 1st game the Sabres played after Pat LaFontaine was signed, the Sabres were the best team in the league.  That sugar high was short lived.

The Sabres had the misfortune of facing SJ right after they acquired Thornton.  They were unstoppable that night.  

Let's wait a week or 2 before anointing the Aisles.  They're still a flawed team w/ a goalie that hides a lot of warts.  Not convinced that the improvement isn't a sugar high.  It might be real, but until there is some sustained improved play won't expect it is.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

The 1st game the Sabres played after Pat LaFontaine was signed, the Sabres were the best team in the league.  That sugar high was short lived.

The Sabres had the misfortune of facing SJ right after they acquired Thornton.  They were unstoppable that night.  

Let's wait a week or 2 before anointing the Aisles.  They're still a flawed team w/ a goalie that hides a lot of warts.  Not convinced that the improvement isn't a sugar high.  It might be real, but until there is some sustained improved play won't expect it is.

The Sabres have faced a number of good goalies this season. The Island goalie, Sorokin, was as good as any of them. As you point out he is capable of compensating for some of their deficiencies. The Islanders may not be a serious Cup contending team but the addition of Horvat could be a factor in solidifying a playoff spot for them.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres have faced a number of good goalies this season. The Island goalie, Sorokin, was as good as any of them. As you point out he is capable of compensating for some of their deficiencies. The Islanders may not be a serious Cup contending team but the addition of Horvat could be a factor in solidifying a playoff spot for them.

It COULD be.  But let's see them play more than one game with him before we decide they are anointed a playoff spot.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It COULD be.  But let's see them play more than one game with him before we decide they are anointed a playoff spot.

Horvat may or not be a decisive factor for a playoff spot. But my main point is that their goalie is such an exceptional goalie that he will be the main reason why they could be a playoff team. Could you imagine if we had a Sorokin caliber of netminding this season? In my estimation we would have at least an additional 10 pts. That would be the difference of us being chased instead of us having to chase other teams for a playoff position.  

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Horvat may or not be a decisive factor for a playoff spot. But my main point is that their goalie is such an exceptional goalie that he will be the main reason why they could be a playoff team. Could you imagine if we had a Sorokin caliber of netminding this season? In my estimation we would have at least an additional 10 pts. That would be the difference of us being chased instead of us having to chase other teams for a playoff position.  

Which is all fine & dandy.  The OP you responded to was in response to a post that speculated that because of the Horvat addition that they'd surge & make the playoffs.

Sorokin hides a lot of warts.  But unless the Horvat addition results in more than a 1-2 game adrenaline rush from the rest of the team, he isn't getting them into the playoffs.  And with only a 1 game sample, there is nowhere near enough data to say his addition will translate into sustained success.  It might.  But won't write them into the playoffs just yet.

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which is all fine & dandy.  The OP you responded to was in response to a post that speculated that because of the Horvat addition that they'd surge & make the playoffs.

Sorokin hides a lot of warts.  But unless the Horvat addition results in more than a 1-2 game adrenaline rush from the rest of the team, he isn't getting them into the playoffs.  And with only a 1 game sample, there is nowhere near enough data to say his addition will translate into sustained success.  It might.  But won't write them into the playoffs just yet.

I don't know for sure if he will be the difference maker to getting in or not. But if he is a factor in a couple or few more wins, he could be the difference between getting in or not. It looks like there are going to be maybe three to four teams vying to get in for the last spot. As you said, let's wait and see. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Oh absolutely, and I'm not anointing them but they did look pretty good, and they are playing a tough defensive style that wins games at this time of the year (and in the playoffs). I think we have a better chance to catch aging Washington than them. 

Horvat just seems like a natural fit for that team too. His style matches theirs perfectly. 

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

One home game(WARNING…1230 Saturday afternoon start), then off to the WC for a 3 game trip, home for a game against the Leafs, and then down to Florida for a two game swing. 

Ugh I forgot about the early start and scheduled a hatchet-throwing session.  Oh well.

Anybody notice the injury report since the all star break?

-It was mentioned in a post on the main page that Hughes from NJ is week to week. 

-The Kraken placed leading scorer Andre Burakovsky on injured reserve today. 

-Cale Makar will miss at least the next two games for the Aves. 

-Calgary, our next opponent, are being “cautious” with Rasmus Andersson who is day-to-day after his scooter hit by vehicle in Detroit. 

Injuries happen. I really think GMKA needs to acquire a vet depth both up front and on the blue line. It doesn’t have to be a big splash like Pat Kane or Jacob Chychrun, but this team is pretty vulnerable if someone goes down.  

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Meanwhile, in Dallas (warning:  F-bombs):

And for the record, Texas is a stand-your-ground state.  It doesn't matter who swung first, if you feel threatened you're allowed to defend yourself.  Which the little boy apparently didn't know when he challenged the guy.

Wtf is that hair cut smh 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And for the record, Texas is a stand-your-ground state.  It doesn't matter who swung first, if you feel threatened you're allowed to defend yourself.  Which the little boy apparently didn't know when he challenged the guy.

Talk sh1t get hit.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Loudmouth gets owned

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It doesn't matter who swung first, if you feel threatened you're allowed to defend yourself. 

How did he feel threatened?  He's on higher ground (literally not morally) and the kid's girlfriend is trying to hold the kid back.  I suspect he felt more insulted by being called a dumbass, than threatened.  Looks like no one was seriously hurt, which is good, but the better response to someone acting like that is to get the usher.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

the better response to someone acting like that is to get the usher.

I said nothing about what response would be better, just what the legalities are.  I sat on a jury pool and they discussed some aspects of the case and this is exactly the scenario they discussed pre-trial and they said if someone said they felt threatened they can swing first and it's still considered self defense.

I thought that when I expressed a sentiment similar to yours they'd throw me off the jury but they didn't.

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I said nothing about what response would be better, just what the legalities are.  I sat on a jury pool and they discussed some aspects of the case and this is exactly the scenario they discussed pre-trial and they said if someone said they felt threatened they can swing first and it's still considered self defense.

I thought that when I expressed a sentiment similar to yours they'd throw me off the jury but they didn't.

Oh, please know that I'm not coming at you.  I just don't see how the guy reasonably could feel threatened there.  I've never quite understood the stand-your-ground stuff in general, though.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.