Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

50 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

The NHL will NEVER go to 3 for a win and 1 for a tie. They love the compact standings they have now. 
“Teams had a chance at playoffs right until the very end” is the spin. 

3 point wins can separate the standings so much that fans will see the big point spread and they fear loss of interest. The NHL sucks.

I have been a proponent of the 3-1-0 system for probably two decades and this is the first clear statement of why it never will happen, that I've seen.  You are right on.  It works in soccer because of the relegation battles at the bottom, but the NHL doesn't have that.  Great succinct analysis!

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Haven’t they done the analysis and found out that there are almost no changes in the standings when changing to a 3-2-1-0 system?

3-2-1-0 is not the same as 3-1-0 though.  And it's not the standings we're talking about, either, but the competition.

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, Hank said:

To elaborate, if the NHL is going to have three point games, than make EVERY game a three point game. Regulation win  3, OT/SO win 2, OT/SO loss 1. 

Right. 

It’s already logically weird that some games are “worth more” in the grand scheme of the standings. Some games divy up a total of 2, some a total of 3. Makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Right. 

It’s already logically weird that some games are “worth more” in the grand scheme of the standings. Some games divy up a total of 2, some a total of 3. Makes no sense. 

If anyone is going to make a compelling argument here to fix something then you have to prove that a problem exists. As far as I can tell there’s only two categories of reasoning:

1. Current scoring system is not logical. This is not really sufficient. In baseball, a home run in Baltimore is different than a home run in Cincinnati which is different than a home run in Arizona. That’s not logical, but nobody’s proven that it is sufficiently a problem to be fixed. see number two.

2. Current system rewards undeserving teams to a point where bad teams get into the playoffs, well better counterparts miss out. Ultimately, this is the only thing that really matters. Logical or not, unless the current system is rewarding the wrong teams then a real problem technically doesn’t exist and therefore the fix is unnecessary.

Someone mentioned above that this keeps more teams in the hunt. Someone needs to show that analysis just as much as showing the analysis that the current system rewards the wrong teams.

lastly, changing the screen system blows up the highly ingrained what’s a good season versus was a bad season point totals as well as the record books. You really have to show your fixing a real problem before you ask the NHL to throw out all that institutional memory.

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

all that institutional memory.

All what institutional memory?  As many of us were fans before the current system as those who became fans after.  Tradition for tradition's sake is not exactly the story of the NHL.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

All what institutional memory?  As many of us were fans before the current system as those who became fans after. 

I guess traditional two point games had the extra point added. Fair enough.  Three point games greatly exacerbates it. The current system awards the third point in a minority group of games. Making every two point game a three point game flips that script and hands out a tremendous number of points over what we are used to. We are at the All-Star break and Boston would be somewhere around 110 to 115 points. Currently, the loser point may have added two or three points to their current total. 

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The correct point system is 2-1-0

2 for a regulation or ot win

1 for a shootout win

0 for losing

Why? It incentives teams to try harder at all times because a loss gets you nothing and going to a shootout costs you a point. 

Naw

I'm good with 3-2-1 or what we have presently

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

1 for a shootout win

0 for losing

Why? It incentives teams to try harder at all times because a loss gets you nothing and going to a shootout costs you a point. 

I could live with that. Still prefer my idea but reality is yours is much more likely to happen.

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Im shocked this is in Toronto  when the players came out saying they wanted very warm areas for the allstar games 

That just means no cold cities in the US and probably not Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg.  Toronto and Montreal will ALWAYS be in the mix for big NHL events like this regardless of what the players want.

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

1 for a shootout win

0 for losing

Like you said, they will never do this because current system allows teams to fool their fans into believing they are close.

I know SDS wants some form of analysis but it’s impossible to get correct data because like you and others have said, teams will play different under this scoring system.

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Like you said, they will never do this because current system allows teams to fool their fans into believing they are close.

I know SDS wants some form of analysis but it’s impossible to get correct data because like you and others have said, teams will play different under this scoring system.

I was wondering what the difference would be so I recalculated the Eastern Conference standings using the 3-2-1 points system vs the current one:

CURRENT:
1-BOS-83 pts
2-CAR-76
3-TOR-70
4-NJD-68
5-TBY-65
6-NYR-62
7-WSH-60
8-PIT-57
9-BUF-56
10-NYI-54
11-FLA-51
12-OTT-51
13-PHI-51
14-DET-50
15-MTL-44
16-CBS-34

USING 3-2-1: (BOLD team moves up, ITALIC team moves down)
1-BOS-115 pts
2-TOR-96
3-CAR-93
4-TBY-89 (more regl wins)
5-NJD-89
6-NYR-80
7-WSH-79
8-NYI-76
9-FLA-75 (more regl wins)

10-PIT-75
11-BUF-73

12-PHI-71
13-OTT-68
14-DET-64
15-MTL-48
16-CBS-42

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.