Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Hell, I would vote for shrinking the playoffs 

1st round best of three

2nd round best of five

3rd and finals best of seven

I would also vote for either bringing back ties, or have OT until someone scores like it is in the playoffs. Fire the shootouts into the sun. I hate a skills competition deciding games. Always have. But that’s just me.

Old school. 

I know they changed it because of 1st rd upsets with 3 game series. To me, thats a feature, not a bug.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

1st round best of three

2nd round best of five

I would also vote for either bringing back ties, or have OT until someone scores like it is in the playoffs. Fire the shootouts into the sun. I hate a skills competition deciding games. Always have. But that’s just me.

Absolutely agree with this. Some games should not be worth 2 points while others are worth 3 points. Play hockey during an overtime period and if tied after that, kiss your sister and take your 1 point while the opposition does the same. So simple and easy but the NHL can't figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

1st round best of three

2nd round best of five

I’d shoot you into the sun if you meddled with the playoff rounds. 

4x7 is a beautifully brutal race to see whose team is the best and can stay the healthiest. No other playoff in pro sports is as incredible to watch as the NHL playoffs in no small part due to how it is. I’d go back to 1-8 seeding though. 1/2 division leaders and 3-8 being merely standings order. 
NHL playoff hockey is perfect, the first two rounds are crazy speed and skill with players flying around hitting people. By Round 3 they get worn down, and thus are forced to strategize far more against their opponent and we start to see heroes emerge. The guy playing with the broken wrist, or the random healthy scratch all season that magically pops up in the later rounds and makes a huge impact due to his freshness. The strategic game to game, period to period situations that pop up. 4x7 is what allows hockey’s champion to truly be a team accomplishment. Because depth is required in order to succeed; you can’t win with merely 3 super stars and some duct tape. In Football, a team can literally luck their way to a Super Bowl if given the right circumstances via injuries and environment. It’s merely 3 games. A great hockey team with crippling injuries can still win a series because theres 4 to 7 games worth of strategy and situations. It’s honestly part of what I love about hockey; it’s not just super teams and garbage or driven by about 3 key positions to decide relevance. In any other league except probably baseball, Edmonton would be a juggernaut with their two league leading scorers at the helm. But they aren’t, because hockey isn’t decided by any one player but rather the entire team.

I don’t hate shootouts, would certainly look at 10mil 3v3 as a better option to cut down on shootouts. Utterly despise ties.

• Like (+1) 1

A study done many years ago noted that a team that goes up wins game 5  wins a best-of-seven series that is tied 2-2 wins the series something like 80% of the time.  And it is well over 90% for a 3-1 leads and all but 2 series for 3-0 leads.

The reason the NHL went way from best-of-3 for finals was the failure of the 1929-30 Bruins.  The reason for best of 7 was the success of the 1937-8 Chicago Black Hawks.  Now, both teams want the guaranteed 2 home games.

The skill events where they nonchalantly fumble the puck down the ice and proceed to not try to actually score on the G don’t work and are cringe. Don’t showcase much of anything. Gotta stick with drills like 3 point shot in nba where players will actually try to win and they’ll be impressive doing so 

This dunk tank thing is fine. Players actually shooting for the targets 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The skill events where they nonchalantly fumble the puck down the ice and proceed to not try to actually score on the G don’t work and are cringe. Don’t showcase much of anything. Gotta stick with drills like 3 point shot in nba where players will actually try to win and they’ll be impressive doing so 

This dunk tank thing is fine. Players actually shooting for the targets 

I'm surprised they don't do a commercial after every shot. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

All Star Skills Competition sucks. Spent the last 15 minutes watching guys shoot at surf boards. Can’t wait for the No try defense of a meaningless All Star game. Whoever comes up with this stuff stopped caring a long time ago.

The beach stuff is what’s worked the most for me so far. Looked liked the guys were actually having fun 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

McDavid needs to get a bigger cheer than that, I’m sorry. Dude is the best ambassador for the game and it’s most important player. There should be buzz there it’s just crickets 

Florida sucks for an All Star game. 

... would be cool to see Rasmus Dahlin do something

12 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yes. No more shootouts or three on three in the regular season too. You play five on five until someone wins. If that only gives you twelve hours until the next game then you should have won sooner. 

You had me until the OT in the regular season part.

Give me back ties in the regular season.  I like the idea that has been tossed around here for some time and @Hank just posted it yesterday ... a football style scoring system where the winner gets 3 points and 1 point each for a tie at the end of regulation.  No OT and no shootout monsense.

The NHL will NEVER go to 3 for a win and 1 for a tie. They love the compact standings they have now. 
“Teams had a chance at playoffs right until the very end” is the spin. 

3 point wins can separate the standings so much that fans will see the big point spread and they fear loss of interest. The NHL sucks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.