Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

On 2/11/2023 at 11:25 AM, Curt said:

For me, it’s against the law, so it wasn’t the right thing to do.  At the same time, the guy “deserved” it.  I think both of those things can be true.

Society operates on rules.  You can’t just punch anyone in the face because they offend you.  

Man, this was on Saturday!? Must have been busier this week than I thought.

Not to circle back or pick a scab, but I don’t believe punching someone in the face on its own is illegal. It happens all the time, especially in the sport we all love. Assault is illegal.

And I have to admit to getting a secret enjoyment out of watching fights at sporting events. Maybe it’s because everyone I have ever seen get punched was either a willing participant,… or deserved it, like this jackstain.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Man, this was on Saturday!? Must have been busier this week than I thought.

Not to circle back or pick a scab, but I don’t believe punching someone in the face on its own is illegal. It happens all the time, especially in the sport we all love. Assault is illegal.

And I have to admit to getting a secret enjoyment out of watching fights at sporting events. Maybe it’s because everyone I have ever seen get punched was either a willing participant,… or deserved it, like this jackstain.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;

(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or

(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.

What you saw is a Class A misdemeanor in Texas.

What happens in a hockey game is treated differently most of the time, but things that have happened on the ice have been prosecuted before. 

37 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I so very much wish I could begin each school year with that lesson.

21 hours ago, Two or less said:

Capitals lose 6-3 to Florida.

Florida really picking it up. 

Calgary looking terrible. Huberdeau’s agent taking shots at Sutter. Calgary made a big mistake this offseason. 

That Huberdeau contract with him turning 30 *already* looking dicey. 115 points last year. 

36 this year in 52 games. Yikes 

• Shocked 1

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

Florida really picking it up. 

Calgary looking terrible. Huberdeau’s agent taking shots at Sutter. Calgary made a big mistake this offseason. 

That Huberdeau contract with him turning 30 *already* looking dicey. 115 points last year. 

36 this year in 52 games. Yikes 

The Huberdeau contract really doesn't look good, and the biggest issue with it is down the road, not right now.  However, I think the best thing the Flames could do is change coaches from Sutter and move on.   He has a Mike Keenan/Torts vibe to me.  'Old school hockey' guy, that works well for a year or two but never gets you over the top..but ultimately turns off some players.  Some people love guys like his as a coach. I think long term for the franchise they are better with someone else.

Looking at the Flames coaching history, they like their 'old time hockey' guys and former players as coaches.  In the past 25 years they have been coached by Brian Sutter, Daryll Sutter (twice), and Brent Sutter.  Throw in a stint by Mike Keenan also. 

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, steveoath said:

You think Boudreau or Trots would go there?

Why would they get an offer?  There's still 3 or 4 Sutter brothers that have never coached the Flames.  Gotta work through the whole pack before moving on to something else, right?  😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

The Huberdeau contract really doesn't look good, and the biggest issue with it is down the road, not right now.  However, I think the best thing the Flames could do is change coaches from Sutter and move on.   He has a Mike Keenan/Torts vibe to me.  'Old school hockey' guy, that works well for a year or two but never gets you over the top..but ultimately turns off some players.  Some people love guys like his as a coach. I think long term for the franchise they are better with someone else.

Looking at the Flames coaching history, they like their 'old time hockey' guys and former players as coaches.  In the past 25 years they have been coached by Brian Sutter, Daryll Sutter (twice), and Brent Sutter.  Throw in a stint by Mike Keenan also. 

A buddy of mine had a friend who was a physical fitness trainer for the Kings when Sutter was coach. He said everyday Doughty and them would sit around and rip Sutter mercilessly. They hated his guts. But they are all Cup champions.

Those types of coaches work for teams that are competing for a Cup but need that final kick in the pants to get over the hump. They have a shelf life and if you aren’t competitive they are downright awful to play for.

21 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

A buddy of mine had a friend who was a physical fitness trainer for the Kings when Sutter was coach. He said everyday Doughty and them would sit around and rip Sutter mercilessly. They hated his guts. But they are all Cup champions.

Those types of coaches work for teams that are competing for a Cup but need that final kick in the pants to get over the hump. They have a shelf life and if you aren’t competitive they are downright awful to play for.

Teams seem to change up between those kind of coaches and players coaches. I guess they want the good cop/bad cop thing going. Bring in a softer guy after having the roster beat down by a Keenan type and then bring in a Keenan type when the atmosphere becomes like a country club.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Is Bettman terminally stupid?  He's got a game on ABC in every sports bar in the country, ready to recruit new fans, and they're dressed up like they're in Roller Hockey International in 1996.

There’s not a single thing I like about the Canes franchise, but I thought the black and reds tonight were sharp. Also, the commish office signing off on jerseys? Not sure about that one. 

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

There’s not a single thing I like about the Canes franchise, but I thought the black and reds tonight were sharp. Also, the commish office signing off on jerseys? Not sure about that one. 

Oh, all this special ***** comes from NYC/Tronna.  Make no mistake about it.  They look like Div II football teams.

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 2

Ultimately, this is why jersey talk is all nonsense. I think the caps jerseys look sharp and Carolina looks like trash. Red on black is unreadable. Do you think both are horrendous. The person above things Carolina look sharp. 🤷🏻

Just now, SDS said:

Ultimately, this is why jersey talk is all nonsense. I think the caps jerseys look sharp and Carolina looks like trash. Red on black is unreadable. Do you think both are horrendous. The person above things Carolina look sharp. 🤷🏻

They probably would make great novelty sweaters for each team.  The one of the few nights a year when the NHL is plastered across screens in every sports bar in the US is not the time for it.  This is one of the reasons why this league is in fifth place in the US.  Some dude in Tulsa watching the NHL for the first time thinks he's watching the equivalent of Youngstown State vs. South Dakota A&M.

Just now, Eleven said:

They probably would make great novelty sweaters for each team.  The one of the few nights a year when the NHL is plastered across screens in every sports bar in the US is not the time for it.  This is one of the reasons why this league is in fifth place in the US.  Some dude in Tulsa watching the NHL for the first time thinks he's watching the equivalent of Youngstown State vs. South Dakota A&M.

They couldn't even get the fight on right.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.