Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

Agree that according to the law you can’t just throw out that punch. Don’t agree as was intimated elsewhere above that in cases where there is “no charge” there was no lawful infraction committed. Even with full faith in the Law itself whether or not it is always being accurately enforced is a whole other matter. Anyways, that’s all I got on this. 

100% on the bold. Cops/prosecutors/etc are people and some will ignore the law if they don't like the victim.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

Yellowstone says there’s a difference between the law and justice. You are touching on that here I believe  

Whether I agree with what happened, or not - I hate the turn of phrase but what that guy did mostly falls under “f*ck around and find out”.

Agree that according to the law you can’t just throw out that punch. Don’t agree as was intimated elsewhere above that in cases where there is “no charge” there was no lawful infraction committed. Even with full faith in the Law itself whether or not it is always being accurately enforced is a whole other matter. Anyways, that’s all I got on this. 

8 hours ago, MattPie said:

100% on the bold. Cops/prosecutors/etc are people and some will ignore the law if they don't like the victim.

Bottom line it for me:  Who gets to decide if a crime was committed? 

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Bottom line it for me:  Who gets to decide if a crime was committed?

That's a good question without a good answer. Traditionally in the USA, it's been white dudes. That has progressed some in the last few decades, but probably not enough. We all bring our own biases.

Let's take this example. Is Mullet a jerk? Yes. Can you sucker punch someone? No, it's a crime. There are a number of people that are saying "It's OK because that guy was a jerk." As soon as we go down the "it's OK to commit physical violence or a crime if the recipient isn't likeable" path, we end up in a very dark place.

• Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

That's a good question without a good answer. Traditionally in the USA, it's been white dudes. That has progressed some in the last few decades, but probably not enough. We all bring our own biases.

Let's take this example. Is Mullet a jerk? Yes. Can you sucker punch someone? No, it's a crime. There are a number of people that are saying "It's OK because that guy was a jerk." As soon as we go down the "it's OK to commit physical violence or a crime if the recipient isn't likeable" path, we end up in a very dark place.

That was not a sucker punch. Sucker punches usually come from the side or behind when the person isn’t aware its coming. That punk was fully aware at that point that fists might fly and if he wasn’t he is more of a moron than his words and actions indicated. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

That was not a sucker punch. Sucker punches usually come from the side or behind when the person isn’t aware its coming. That punk was fully aware at that point that fists might fly and if he wasn’t he is more of a moron than his words and actions indicated. 

We can differ on the terminology, but if you punch someone with no warning it's a sucker punch to me. Mullet was running his mouth, but made no move to actual violence. Snowflake just wound up and hit him.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, MattPie said:

We can differ on the terminology, but if you punch someone with no warning it's a sucker punch to me. Mullet was running his mouth, but made no move to actual violence. Snowflake just wound up and hit him.

Snowflake, thats Rich. Lol ok agree to disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Thorny said:

Consummate captain. Love that dude. 

Zegras wasn’t even mad. He was probably like, “Hey, that was Sidney Crosby!” Haha. 

Like a disappointed parent 

It's worth noting that Zegras didn't actually shoot the puck.  Just about everything of that video is confusing to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

That he shall now henceforce be known as Darth Mullet is perhaps punishment enough 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Goes both ways, no?

A word made the man assault someone.

Snow. Flake.

Sure. I guess. I’ll have to watch the video again but snowflake could have had children with him. He could have had his wife with him. There’s a multiple reasons why he may have felt threatened. Maybe his 84 year old dad is sitting in the vicinity. Maybe he decided I’d better punch this racist punk because there’s other children around. S’pose we’ll never know. Whether he’s justified or not the mullet haired racist had it coming. I think he got off lightly.

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm kinda shocked that mullet boy didn't go out cold, he took a SHOT and bounced back. I'll give him credit for that... Maybe he's used to getting punched around 😂

I think there is probably a lot of empty space for his brain to wobble around in before it crashes into his skull

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Since there are no flights from North America to Russia (due to the war in Ukraine), this is a pretty big deal if Ovi has to back to his homeland. 

There are no commercial flights from the US and perhaps Canada to Russia.  There may be from other NA countries.  And Ovi can arrange for air travel that is inaccessible to you or me.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

There are no commercial flights from the US and perhaps Canada to Russia.  There may be from other NA countries.  And Ovi can arrange for air travel that is inaccessible to you or me.

Other NA countries?  Like Mexico and Guatemala?

Why wouldn't he just connect through a Scandanavian country or Japan or similar?

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He's at least mildly friendly with the top of the Russian ruling class, so I'm sure a jet can be arranged.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Other NA countries?  Like Mexico and Guatemala?

Why wouldn't he just connect through a Scandanavian country or Japan or similar?

Yep. I'm sure there's some commercial path (if it involves Russia) like US - London - Belarus - etc..

On 2/13/2023 at 7:06 AM, MattPie said:

Only part of this I’m touching is calling it a sucker punch.

The guy should have expected that reaction based on what he was saying. 

Also if you don’t know the person then you have no idea how they react to things so you should prepare for the worst.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.