NHL Fire Sale: Roster Freeze Ends, 1pm eastern, 7/22

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Of course anything is possible, but I think it would be truly fragile here and easily fall off the rails. They are supposed to be the leaders and if we hit another losing streak............... 

I know what you're saying.  The one thing that gives me hope is that Eichel has yet to play under HCDG.  If he's pissy because he liked Krueger than yeah, it could get bad.  But if Donny Meatballs can inject a positive atmosphere then Eichel could be alright.  As for Reinhart, even if he doesn't want to be here, you know he'll buck up and be a good soldier for one more year at least; I don't see him hurting the team.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I know what you're saying.  The one thing that gives me hope is that Eichel has yet to play under HCDG.  If he's pissy because he liked Krueger than yeah, it could get bad.  But if Donny Meatballs can inject a positive atmosphere then Eichel could be alright.  As for Reinhart, even if he doesn't want to be here, you know he'll buck up and be a good soldier for one more year at least; I don't see him hurting the team.

I would like to have both Jack and Sam stay. Sam would have to agree to extension or, unfortunately, he needs to be traded. We then need to take care of our goaltender issue. Add to that further development of our younger players and I believe you have a respectable team at the least and a possible playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

so Edmonton is going to throw some crazy offer to Hyman while losing the only half-decent d-men they had last year. They, like the Leafs do not seem to understand that a team has to build around their defense and goal tending and one only needs look at Tampa. They are excellent on defense (both their d-men and the team in general). Hedman is simply a beast (and hopefully Power can become something roughly anywhere near as good as him). The Oilers and the Leafs are not very good at team defense and their actually defense is suspect at best and now Edmonton will throw all kinds of money and term at Hyman   which signifies they won;t have money for any d-men. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Exactly why did we not go for Nedeljkovic? Not allowed to have nice things?

If they don't come away with another option just as good u have to wonder...and I don't want to hear about trying to, just DO!

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm thrilled.  That means Boston is done as a contender. Hall is a franchise killing player.

If he is such a franchise killing player why did he play well for Boston, including the playoffs, and probably will end up signing with them on a medium term basis i.e. 3 to 4 yrs? The characterization that he is a franchise killing player is absurd. Hall played for the Sabres last year and he like a lot of players got swamped by its dysfunction. He ended up getting traded to an organization that is well run and a talented team and prospered. Why is that surprising? 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If he is such a franchise killing player why did he play well for Boston, including the playoffs, and probably will end up signing with them on a medium term basis i.e. 3 to 4 yrs? The characterization that he is a franchise killing player is absurd. Hall played for the Sabres last year and he like a lot of players got swamped by its dysfunction. He ended up getting traded to an organization that is well run and a talented team and prospered. Why is that surprising? 

He didn’t play well in the playoffs. Two goals in his first three games and then one in his final eight and some notably bad defense.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

so Edmonton is going to throw some crazy offer to Hyman while losing the only half-decent d-men they had last year. They, like the Leafs do not seem to understand that a team has to build around their defense and goal tending and one only needs look at Tampa. They are excellent on defense (both their d-men and the team in general). Hedman is simply a beast (and hopefully Power can become something roughly anywhere near as good as him). The Oilers and the Leafs are not very good at team defense and their actually defense is suspect at best and now Edmonton will throw all kinds of money and term at Hyman   which signifies they won;t have money for any d-men. 

I was listening to their TSN reporter Ryan Rishaug talk about the Oiler's need to "win now" while they have McDavid and Draisaitl locked into contracts.  They seem a bit desperate on Hyman.  It should work out short term but if they go with a 7 or 8 year deal for him you have to wonder when it gets bought out.

They signed Mike Smith hoping he can have another great year.  2 years though.  And also they need to figure out their defense looking for a second pairing right D.  Maybe Risto could be a fit if salary works.

36 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He didn’t play well in the playoffs. Two goals in his first three games and then one in his final eight and some notably bad defense.

I think that's only half right. Played well against Washington but the NYI knew how to shut him down and did it. Not sure why you think he played bad defense. I think I remember bruins being happy with his 2 way effort. 

If they pay him more than Marchand though Bruins fans will be unforgiving in their expectations and let him know it. Could cost Sweeney his job if Hall doesn't deliver. 

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Boy, Flayers having to give away a second round pick to get rid of a player, lol. I'd be pissed if Sabres had to do that. 

I believe the Leafs gave up a first before to get rid of a contract (possibly Marleaus?) But atleast they actually received something else in return (another pick)

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The league is constipated. All gms afraid to screw up and so they screw up by doing nothing. 

IMHO, Adams will be far better off not making any moves the next 2 days than he will be making the moves people have been speculating about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Exactly why did we not go for Nedeljkovic? Not allowed to have nice things?

I was shocked he was moved today, he was in the running for Rookie of the year and played great to end the season and into the playoffs.

I saw some comments that the problem was Carolina not wanting to pay him, he was asking for $3.5/year and they wanted no more then $1.5/year so he was dealt for a pick and an older goalie. I watched him play in Juniors and would have loved to see him play in Buffalo, he could have been a good tandem with Ullmark. Looking like Yzerman fleeced Carolina, yet it sounds like Carolina was the one making the offer.......

I still have to laugh at the Philly deal, its one of the first times I have ever heard of a team making a trade and getting nothing back, I didn't even realize that was permitted? I thought thats why teams included 'future considerations/cash considerations' or throw in a 7th rounder in a couple of years just to include something going the other way. I'm just picturing the Flyers GM calling the Coyotes asking if they would take him and the Coyotes GM saying Sure, for a 2nd and 7th we will do the deal and the Flyers GM was like "You drive a hard bargain but sure, we will give you that too!". I wonder if the NHL sent back this trade proposal a few times asking "Are you sure you completed the trade form correctly? Did you forget a page?" 

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IMHO, Adams will be far better off not making any moves the next 2 days than he will be making the moves people have been speculating about.

Far better off in the long term Maybe, but picks not in this years draft are just adding more time to the development unless they can be flipped for players closer to be NHL ready

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I was shocked he was moved today, he was in the running for Rookie of the year and played great to end the season and into the playoffs.

I saw some comments that the problem was Carolina not wanting to pay him, he was asking for $3.5/year and they wanted no more then $1.5/year so he was dealt for a pick and an older goalie. I watched him play in Juniors and would have loved to see him play in Buffalo, he could have been a good tandem with Ullmark. Looking like Yzerman fleeced Carolina, yet it sounds like Carolina was the one making the offer.......

I still have to laugh at the Philly deal, its one of the first times I have ever heard of a team making a trade and getting nothing back, I didn't even realize that was permitted? I thought thats why teams included 'future considerations/cash considerations' or throw in a 7th rounder in a couple of years just to include something going the other way. I'm just picturing the Flyers GM calling the Coyotes asking if they would take him and the Coyotes GM saying Sure, for a 2nd and 7th we will do the deal and the Flyers GM was like "You drive a hard bargain but sure, we will give you that too!". I wonder if the NHL sent back this trade proposal a few times asking "Are you sure you completed the trade form correctly? Did you forget a page?" 

I believe the Coyotes just got Ladd and more and didn’t have to give anything up. 

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Eklund - Eichel - Reinhart

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Dahlin Joki

Samuelsson Ristolainen

Ullmark

Sign a Backup

...if only 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

...Hall QUIT on the Sabres. Not any of this “swamped by its dysfunction” bs.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...Hall QUIT on the Sabres. Not any of this “swamped by its dysfunction” bs.  

Bull crappy! 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Reports are that Boston is going to re-sign him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Far better off in the long term Maybe, but picks not in this years draft are just adding more time to the development unless they can be flipped for players closer to be NHL ready

He'd be better off not making the trades that everyone's been expecting.

Keep what they have (including Ullmark & McCabe).  Add another Ullmark.  Add Danault.  If necessary to make the cap work, trade Ristolainen.  Bring in a low priced D to cover until McCabe is healthy.

If Granato is all his supporters expect, let the Pegulas do something they haven't done in 9 or so years - send out invoices for playoff tix in April on the possibility they actually might make them.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The league is constipated. All gms afraid to screw up and so they screw up by doing nothing. 

This is how the league always is. Occasionally the laxatives work and you see a day like we had when Hall and Subban were traded

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Reports are that Boston is going to re-sign him. 

Correct, I’ve posted about it. That does not definitively say whether he did or didn’t play in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Correct, I’ve posted about it. That does not definitively say whether he did or didn’t play in the playoffs.

You missed a word (I think you were talking about whether he played *well* in the playoffs) and he did:  5 points, 3 goals in 11 games, and he did really well in the first series.  I don't like that Adams got fleeced, either, but Hall was fine once he moved on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.