Jump to content

NHL Fire Sale: Roster Freeze Ends, 1pm eastern, 7/22


LGR4GM
 Share

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Have a sick feeling we're about to get bamboozled.

Same. I am setting some low expectations for tomorrow. I think the Sabres will be too slow on the trigger and it doesn't sound like Seattle did a lot.

My gut tells me Risto is moved before the draft. I've moved from "I highly doubt Jack is traded this week" to "I think it's unlikely but definitely maybe."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • LGR4GM changed the title to NHL Fire Sale: Roster Freeze Ends, 1pm eastern, 7/22

I buy the rumour.Risto is already gone, deal just has to be announced. Probably for a player like Josh Brook or Dylan Samberg, along with a 2nd-rounder.

Eichel will be gone by the end of the first round for a package that will be less than what he’s worth, but more than what we fear.

Reinhart, I don’t have a strong feeling about. I suspect they have asked for an answer on few contract proposals and have a deal or two prepared in their back pockets if he hasn’t expressed any interest by a certain deadline.

Ullmark has an offer on the table and probably also has a deadline.

Assuming Eichel and Risto go, I suspect the Sabres will also be taking on a contract or two from cap-strapped teams as well.

And, finally, I would not be surprised if the Sabres trade 1OA to Anaheim or Seattle, each of who seem like the types of GMs who might be lusting for Power.

Our team is going to look very different in two weeks. There will be our fair share of angry posters, but overall it’s going to be the most entertainment we’ve had here since draft day 2015.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Assuming Eichel and Risto go, I suspect the Sabres will also be taking on a contract or two from cap-strapped teams as well.

And, finally, I would not be surprised if the Sabres trade 1OA to Anaheim or Seattle, each of who seem like the types of GMs who might be lusting for Power.

Our team is going to look very different in two weeks. There will be our fair share of angry posters, but overall it’s going to be the most entertainment we’ve had here since draft day 2015.

If it's Minnesota, as the many rumours suspect, what salary do we take on? Dumba? Is their D good enough without him to just dump his salary? I'm thinking no. After the buyouts not sure who they'd want to shed . 

Unless it's spectacular in return, if we trade away the 1st to either Seattle or Anaheim I'm done.  And if it is Seattle I'm definitely a Kraken fan.

I sure hope we look different. If next to nothing happens it'll be a mess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If it's Minnesota, as the many rumours suspect, what salary do we take on? Dumba? Is their D good enough without him to just dump his salary? I'm thinking no. After the buyouts not sure who they'd want to shed . 

Unless it's spectacular in return, if we trade away the 1st to either Seattle or Anaheim I'm done.  And if it is Seattle I'm definitely a Kraken fan.

I sure hope we look different. If next to nothing happens it'll be a mess. 

If it's Minnesota it's basically got to be either Dumba, Fiala or Talbot. Talbot might make sense for both sides but they might not be ready to give Kahkonen full control of their net. Their decision to protect Talbot over Kahkonen is a good indication they are not ready to do that.

I do wonder if Minnesota does send Dumba our direction but asks for a young D on a low salary that can step in right now considering they'd be losing Suter, Dumba and Soucy all in one offseason. Samuelsson could be the guy added.

Eichel and Samuelsson for Rossi, Boldy, Dumba and a 1st. I don't want to move Samuelsson but he's a guy that makes a ton of sense in Minnesota.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If it's Minnesota, as the many rumours suspect, what salary do we take on? Dumba? Is their D good enough without him to just dump his salary? I'm thinking no. After the buyouts not sure who they'd want to shed . 

Unless it's spectacular in return, if we trade away the 1st to either Seattle or Anaheim I'm done.  And if it is Seattle I'm definitely a Kraken fan.

I sure hope we look different. If next to nothing happens it'll be a mess. 

Some little sliver of me hopes you do this big thing where you say you are going to go be a Kraken fan now, goodbye everyone and everything Sabres.  Then after that the Sabres get good and the Kraken suck for a while.

Can you at least wait until the offseason is over, then announce a date and time, set up a video call with Rakish, and hold a LeBron style decision show to announce if you are going to stick with the Sabres or take your talents to the Emerald City?  Please?

  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

If it's Minnesota it's basically got to be either Dumba, Fiala or Talbot. Talbot might make sense for both sides but they might not be ready to give Kahkonen full control of their net. Their decision to protect Talbot over Kahkonen is a good indication they are not ready to do that.

I do wonder if Minnesota does send Dumba our direction but asks for a young D on a low salary that can step in right now considering they'd be losing Suter, Dumba and Soucy all in one offseason. Samuelsson could be the guy added.

Eichel and Samuelsson for Rossi, Boldy, Dumba and a 1st. I don't want to move Samuelsson but he's a guy that makes a ton of sense in Minnesota.

I hate the idea of losing Samuelsson.  He’s the one kid in the organization that I am excited about.

But he’s not untouchable for sure.

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If it's Minnesota, as the many rumours suspect, what salary do we take on? Dumba? Is their D good enough without him to just dump his salary? I'm thinking no. After the buyouts not sure who they'd want to shed . 

Unless it's spectacular in return, if we trade away the 1st to either Seattle or Anaheim I'm done.  And if it is Seattle I'm definitely a Kraken fan.

I sure hope we look different. If next to nothing happens it'll be a mess. 

So you will be angry if they try and make the team better and angry if they dont?  Got it.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

No.  We just can’t.  

I think if we were going to get bamboozaled it would have happened already.  The fact that Jack and Sam are still here tells me KA is playing hardball.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Weave said:

I think if we were going to get bamboozaled it would have happened already.  The fact that Jack and Sam are still here tells me KA is playing hardball.

I sure hope you’re right.  ROR trade set us back several years and it just can’t happen again.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If as reported we are trading Risto, Reinhart, Eichel and possibly others for young prospects and draft choices are we in denial that this is the beginning of TANK 2 day?? Does anyone actually believe we'll be a playoff team or contender this coming year?? Last season was a disaster from injuries to the under reported Covid outbreak  to the veteran pickups not leading the young guys to XHCRK being incapable of turning around the team after things started going wrong to the season ending Adams and Eichel and others speaking out at the press conference. Whatever the reasons Tank 1 failed and there does appear to be many questions as to who is to blame with the fanbase.

On the optimistic side as opposed to the wasting of assets and the total barren organizational talent left afterwards of Tank 1 we do seem to have the possibility that Mitts, Dahlin, Cozens, Joki, Ruosto, Samuelsson, Bryson, Quinn, JJP, Asplund and Thompson and this years draft class will keep us afloat until these mythological prospects and future saviors develop. Tank 2 unfortunately appears to be starting where Tank 1 should have. This years trade returns, this years draft and lets not fool ourselves next years draft should be the start of finally getting this organization back on its feet again. We can only hope they don't fail again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why would anyone blame the fan base for their failures?

6 minutes ago, jsb said:

Whatever the reasons Tank 1 failed and there does appear to be many questions as to who is to blame with the fanbase.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jsb said:

If as reported we are trading Risto, Reinhart, Eichel and possibly others for young prospects and draft choices are we in denial that this is the beginning of TANK 2 day?? Does anyone actually believe we'll be a playoff team or contender this coming year?? Last season was a disaster from injuries to the under reported Covid outbreak  to the veteran pickups not leading the young guys to XHCRK being incapable of turning around the team after things started going wrong to the season ending Adams and Eichel and others speaking out at the press conference. Whatever the reasons Tank 1 failed and there does appear to be many questions as to who is to blame with the fanbase.

On the optimistic side as opposed to the wasting of assets and the total barren organizational talent left afterwards of Tank 1 we do seem to have the possibility that Mitts, Dahlin, Cozens, Joki, Ruosto, Samuelsson, Bryson, Quinn, JJP, Asplund and Thompson and this years draft class will keep us afloat until these mythological prospects and future saviors develop. Tank 2 unfortunately appears to be starting where Tank 1 should have. This years trade returns, this years draft and lets not fool ourselves next years draft should be the start of finally getting this organization back on its feet again. We can only hope they don't fail again. 

I honestly don't see this as Tank 2, seeing as we are not in anyway trying to lose. Tanking inherently means that you are self-sabotaging the team to garner a higher pick. (For instance GMTM's 2015 Draft Tank)

In a vacuum trading Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen may seem like sabotage but I have no belief that KA is trying to make us bad for a high pick next year. He wants to win, and for better or worse feels we can get better long term without these three.

 

DO I actually believe they could get to the playoffs next year? Ask me in a couple weeks when we have our final rosters. The NHL always has a few teams that surprise everyone and a few that disappoint. Seeing as we've been on the latter end for 10 years, odds would say eventually we will get lucky, catch some breaks and squeak into the playoffs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm predicting Risto is traded within the hour of the freeze lifting. There's quite a bit of smoke, and them protecting Risto after his continued flippant year ending conferences seems rather counter-intuitive without reason. The team he's heading to had 3 protected D already as well which led to the current circumstances. Also, part of the return will be almost directly tied to us protecting him for the other team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Let’s get on with it, I’m tired of the speculation. S*** or get off the pot.

Good internet chatter and no action = Sabres 

It will be fun or painful watching other teams shuffle players while the Sabres do nothing.  

 

How many years has there been talk of a Risto trade?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Why would anyone blame the fan base for their failures?

 

Wasn't blaming the fanbase, that was meant to mean who the fanbase blames. 

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I honestly don't see this as Tank 2, seeing as we are not in anyway trying to lose. Tanking inherently means that you are self-sabotaging the team to garner a higher pick. (For instance GMTM's 2015 Draft Tank)

In a vacuum trading Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen may seem like sabotage   

Trading your 3 best veteran players for futures and draft picks isn't trying to lose?? Tanking is a means to an end and denying the obvious doesn't get us there faster.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jsb said:

Wasn't blaming the fanbase, that was meant to mean who the fanbase blames. 

Trading your 3 best veteran players for futures and draft picks isn't trying to lose?? Tanking is a means to an end and denying the obvious doesn't get us there faster.

As someone who used to have Tank as my username and a tank as my picture I can confidently say this team isn’t tanking even if they trade Jack, Samson and Risto.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, jsb said:

If as reported we are trading Risto, Reinhart, Eichel and possibly others for young prospects and draft choices are we in denial that this is the beginning of TANK 2 day?? Does anyone actually believe we'll be a playoff team or contender this coming year?? Last season was a disaster from injuries to the under reported Covid outbreak  to the veteran pickups not leading the young guys to XHCRK being incapable of turning around the team after things started going wrong to the season ending Adams and Eichel and others speaking out at the press conference. Whatever the reasons Tank 1 failed and there does appear to be many questions as to who is to blame with the fanbase.

On the optimistic side as opposed to the wasting of assets and the total barren organizational talent left afterwards of Tank 1 we do seem to have the possibility that Mitts, Dahlin, Cozens, Joki, Ruosto, Samuelsson, Bryson, Quinn, JJP, Asplund and Thompson and this years draft class will keep us afloat until these mythological prospects and future saviors develop. Tank 2 unfortunately appears to be starting where Tank 1 should have. This years trade returns, this years draft and lets not fool ourselves next years draft should be the start of finally getting this organization back on its feet again. We can only hope they don't fail again. 

No

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...