NHL Fire Sale: Roster Freeze Ends, 1pm eastern, 7/22

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Relying on later picks, but bringing them along for more easily attained roles at the proper pace while the capable vets hold down minutes during the transition. 

Another good point.  And that was exactly what we lost when the decision was made to destroy the roster.

Maintaining the expectation of winning (which their older vets allow for them) while bringing in the new young players - a novel concept - and the *actual* way you create culture. 

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Another good point.  And that was exactly what we lost when the decision was made to destroy the roster.

Yup. They'll get good value out of the twilight years of Bergeron and Co. and the benefits aren't just going to be on-ice performance where those players are concerned

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

We are talking about Boston specifically and I don’t think they have enough guys to pass the torch to to remain contenders.  It’s not a ridiculous position that I’m staking out here.

Once Bergeron, Krejc, and Rask are gone or ineffective.  They will no longer be contenders for a cup.  They don’t have the up and coming offensive players.

There's another piece that you haven't mentioned which is players wanting to come and play for the team.  Perhaps it's their home town team or a team that has a great history.  That has helped Boston with keeping things moving forward (latest example Taylor Hall).  Can be free agents or trades where the player has specifically asked (or demanded) to be traded there.  We know Eichel would love to go and play for the Bruins if he was free to do so as another example.

This has helped the Bruins compensate for a extremely poor draft 2015 where they drafted Jakub Zboril, Jake Debrusk, and Zach Senyshyn over Matt Barzal, Kyle Connor, and Thomas Chabot.

They have perfect pillars for maintaining and aiding the transition of culture to the next wave, this board talks endlessly of how winning isn't even an option without the culture established first, and we are here talking about how they are "due" for a drop-off and that it's coming. 

1.gif.d528dd6d6634a50335a970ea5428e04d.gif

Wait, what about their culture? Is it the key, or is it not?

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They have perfect pillars for maintaining and aiding the transition of culture to the next wave, this board talks endlessly of how winning isn't even an option without the culture established first, and we are here talking about how they are "due" for a drop-off and that it's coming. 

1.gif.d528dd6d6634a50335a970ea5428e04d.gif

Wait, what about their culture? Is it the key, or is it not?

I’m not saying they are going to suck or even that they will miss the playoffs.  I’m just saying they won’t be a true cup contender.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

We are talking about Boston specifically and I don’t think they have enough guys to pass the torch to to remain contenders.  It’s not a ridiculous position that I’m staking out here.

Once Bergeron, Krejc, and Rask are gone or ineffective.  They will no longer be contenders for a cup.  They don’t have the up and coming offensive players.

I didn't say your position is ridiculous. You wrongly perceived my response. My point is that there is nothing unusual about the cyclical nature of success (up/down) for teams in this sport and other sports. You can't always be good because there is going to be an inevitable slide. My point is in comparison to Buffalo good organizations handle the down cycles more effectively. In a smartly run organization the upsides last a little longer and the downsides are shorter. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't understand Carolina 

It seems Waddell is starting to forget he's Waddell & believes he actually knows what he's doing & seems to be trusting his own judgment again.  Which would be a great thing.  One less team that knows wtf it's doing can't hurt.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There's always something everyone else is apparently  "waiting on" lol

Part of me is thinking Seth Jones ends up in Chicago for Dach + smaller stuff

Then CBJ offers Dach + 5 OA and other stuff like Elvis for Eichel.

CBJ is probably the only EC team I don't mind Eichel going to. They are just not a team I hate in any regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

CBJ is probably the only EC team I don't mind Eichel going to. They are just not a team I hate in any regard. 

There’s no way Chicago gives Dach for Seth Jones.

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Dach's gotta be up there for me as a rumored possibility. 

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, has Jones moved yet, or is that deal being the one holding up "everything else" wrong as well?

I imagine CBJ took one look at what Risto just fetched and is now upping their price, especially now that Risto is off the table.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.