NHL Fire Sale: Roster Freeze Ends, 1pm eastern, 7/22

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

This board was unanimously certain (with I as one of the loudest proponents) that Boston was on the downswing in the summer of 2015, and that the Sabres were in a much more desirable spot. Six years later...

Yup. A well managed team can navigate changes in roster generation without resorting to planned suckitude.  It’s probably more difficult to do it as you are relying on later draft picks, but you also don’t have to bribe hood UFAs to convince them to play for you as a hole filler.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a bit of a strawman. Just because we finished last doesn't mean we can't move further away from contention. If we swap Eichel for picks, we've obviously done just that. 

Yup.  There is no need, no certainty, and no benefit IMO to get worse if we change up the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

It's a bit of a strawman. Just because we finished last doesn't mean we can't move further away from contention. If we swap Eichel for picks, we've obviously done just that. 

In the short term. As I said in 2015 and I will say again and again, until this team starts accumulating talent via the draft none of the rest matters. ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin. They don't matter until we start adding enough talent to the org for them to matter. I'd love to build a team around Eichel but that ship sailed when the ***** around in 2015 and then drafted like morons in 2016 and then decided to use 3 of their last 6 highest picks on LHD. There isn't enough offensive talent in the org so you can either sell Eichel to get multiple pieces or build around him slower over the next 3 years. I don't blame Eichel, I blame the organization for being incompetent for a decade. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This board was unanimously certain (with I as one of the loudest proponents) that Boston was on the downswing in the summer of 2015, and that the Sabres were in a much more desirable spot. Six years later...

How many were certain they’d rather have Buffalos prospect pool than Boston, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, etc?  Shiny new toys that were made irrelevant and those other teams all stayed well managed and jumped ahead of us (or more accurately stayed ahead of us).

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sure it is a strawman to an extent but we just finished last again. Eichel can only do so much and this year we might finish last again but what about next year? How much better is next year if I add Rossi, Boldy, Eklund to this roster instead of just Eklund? We don't know and it could go nowhere but at least then I don't have to wonder if Eichel will play the season because he gets hurt and our entire offense is gone. 

Just now, Justin C said:

I like to imagine he sent out a giant group text waiting for a response and GMs out doing offers in the chat.

"Hey, which one of you wants Tyler Johnson? Seattle you could use him, and he's from there so stop doing nothing and take him."

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yup. A well managed team can navigate changes in roster generation without resorting to planned suckitude.  It’s probably more difficult to do it as you are relying on later draft picks, but you also don’t have to bribe hood UFAs to convince them to play for you as a hole filler.

Relying on later picks, but bringing them along for more easily attained roles at the proper pace while the capable vets hold down minutes during the transition. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In the short term. As I said in 2015 and I will say again and again, until this team starts accumulating talent via the draft none of the rest matters. ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin. They don't matter until we start adding enough talent to the org for them to matter. I'd love to build a team around Eichel but that ship sailed when the ***** around in 2015 and then drafted like morons in 2016 and then decided to use 3 of their last 6 highest picks on LHD. There isn't enough offensive talent in the org so you can either sell Eichel to get multiple pieces or build around him slower over the next 3 years. I don't blame Eichel, I blame the organization for being incompetent for a decade. 

Yes....all of the above, plus maybe the fact that we are also lacking NHL ready goaltending talent and enough defensive (shut-down) talent as well.

27 minutes ago, elijah said:

Wasn’t there a running thread of all of Adams transactions? Can’t seem to find it right now

EDIT: First post btw, been lingering for years. Lot of useful information, from Buffalo diehard Bills fan never gave the Sabres a chance until ~2017-2018 when I started following this site and this board has definitely helped learning the team and hockey much easier so props to all the active people here! 

Welcome.  (NS seems to be slipping.  😉 )

🍺

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, elijah said:

Wasn’t there a running thread of all of Adams transactions? Can’t seem to find it right now

EDIT: First post btw, been lingering for years. Lot of useful information, from Buffalo diehard Bills fan never gave the Sabres a chance until ~2017-2018 when I started following this site and this board has definitely helped learning the team and hockey much easier so props to all the active people here! 

Welcome!!

And, thanks for your kind words on behalf of all here.

I am interested in your user name.  It's none of my business and you do not have to share, but it is interesting that you choose a Prophet's name to use here.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
not typing very goodly so far today ...

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Welcome!!

And, thanks for you kind words on behalf of all here.

I am interested in your user name.  It's none of my business and you do not have to share, but it is interesting that you choose a Prophet's name to use here.

He played Frodo Baggins in the award winning Lord of the Rings trilogy

25 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Welcome!!

And, thanks for your kind words on behalf of all here.

My actual name, grandma was very religious, studied the bible at school. 

Didn’t pass through the generations too much though lol

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

My actual name, grandma was very religious, studied the bible at school. 

Didn’t pass through the generations too much though lol

Great!!

FYI ... I'm a Muslim and Elijah is a very revered Prophet in Islam, as well as in the Jewish and Christian tradition.

Again welcome, my friend.  We are a big loving family around here and, like most families, very dysfunctional.  Please call me by my given name ... NS.  It's short for Nova Scotia, which is actually New Scotland in Latin.

Peace

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Welcome!  Welcome!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Just going to drop this again since the page turned and am really looking for this thread.. Go ahead and delete if this is a no-no

EDIT: Found it, in case anyone else is looking I added it. Thanks 🍻 

Thanks for digging that up from the basement. I’ll add to the OP when I get a chance 👍🏼

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The idea that you *have* to take a step back to get better/remain competitive is a Sabres misnomer

Welcome. 

Hopefully you bypassed the majority of the sucktitude 

The idea that you will probably take a step back when most of your good players approach 40 years old is not a misnomer though.

Just now, Curt said:

The idea that you will probably take a step back when most of your good players approach 40 years old is not a misnomer though.

Most often when your good players approach 40 they are no longer on the team. Good organizations prepare for the torch being passed.  

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Most often when your good players approach 40 they are no longer on the team. Good organizations prepare for the torch being passed.  

We are talking about Boston specifically and I don’t think they have enough guys to pass the torch to to remain contenders.  It’s not a ridiculous position that I’m staking out here.

Once Bergeron, Krejc, and Rask are gone or ineffective.  They will no longer be contenders for a cup.  They don’t have the up and coming offensive players.

Five years ago we were talking about Boston On the downswing because their core was all pushing 30 and that’s when teams usually start to decline.

What happened was not that a good organization found ways to pass the torch, but that the aging core stayed good.

Marchand is 33, Bergeron 35, Krecji 35, Rask 37.

And the guys they’ve augmented the roster with - Hall, Smith, Coyle, Reilly, Grelczcyk - are all pushing 30 as well.

Theyve made a lot of mistakes in the draft, but that core - which they accumulated mostly through luck - continued to insulate them.

They’ve got two good players whose best years aren’t behind them - Pastrnak and McAvoy. The fall is coming.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

We are talking about Boston specifically and I don’t think they have enough guys to pass the torch to to remain contenders.  It’s not a ridiculous position that I’m staking out here.

Once Bergeron, Krejc, and Rask are gone or ineffective.  They will no longer be contenders for a cup.  They don’t have the up and coming offensive players.

They said that'd happen when Chara got old, too. We'll have to see what happens. It's the inverse of the Sabres - the smart bet is that they'll be ok because that is what the results of the past speak to. 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Five years ago we were talking about Boston On the downswing because their core was all pushing 30 and that’s when teams usually start to decline.

What happened was not that a good organization found ways to pass the torch, but that the aging core stayed good.

Marchand is 33, Bergeron 35, Krecji 35, Rask 37.

And the guys they’ve augmented the roster with - Hall, Smith, Coyle, Reilly, Grelczcyk - are all pushing 30 as well.

The fall is coming.

The thing about Boston is they'll have all-star pieces like Pastrnak and McAvoy to aid in transition 

Marchand is one of the best players in the game. Right now. Is that drop off coming in the next 2/3 years? For a while, the young players they'll be bringing in will be met with reasonable expectations, which is my main point. This is what gives them the opportunity for a smooth transition - the good teams maximize this window

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.