NHL Fire Sale: Roster Freeze Ends, 1pm eastern, 7/22

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You missed a word (I think you were talking about whether he played *well* in the playoffs) and he did:  5 points, 3 goals in 11 games, and he did really well in the first series.  I don't like that Adams got fleeced, either, but Hall was fine once he moved on.

Yes, the word was well haha good catch

24 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Can someone tell me what happened to Ethan Bear? He was good as a rookie but now I read he sucks?

I don't know a ton about Bear but he is still just 24 and just played a near full NHL season. Chicago was trying to get him for Duncan Keith.

9 hours ago, darksabre said:

Yzerman throwing Waddell off the top of the cage onto the announcers table 

Yeah, that was a surprise deal.  An article about the free agent goalies on nhl.com had said that maybe Carolina would re-sign one of Mrazek and Reimer because they had their future in Nedeljkovic.

11 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I believe the Leafs gave up a first before to get rid of a contract (possibly Marleaus?) But atleast they actually received something else in return (another pick)

I also heard on TSN that the Leafs have only 6 picks total in the next TWO drafts! No 1st this year of course. Absolutely crazy. As they said Dubas gives away picks & propsects like there's no tomorrow. It would all make sense if they were a big contender who were winning cups but they haven;t won a playoff series in a million years.  And yes Edmonton are desperate and going "all in" on Hyman but in the end it will be defense that wins another cup for Tampa next year (there is still no one who can beat them in a 7 game series) 

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Bull crappy! 

Reports are that Boston is going to re-sign him. 

This is the beginning of the end for that team.  They have been carried by their very talented core (Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Rask) for a decade.  It won’t last forever.  Hall will kill that team. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, inkman said:

This is the beginning of the end for that team.  They have been carried by their very talented core (Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Rask) for a decade.  It won’t last forever.  Hall will kill that team. 

Hopefully.

But yeah, I do agree. Boston knows that window is closing.

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

You missed a word (I think you were talking about whether he played *well* in the playoffs) and he did:  5 points, 3 goals in 11 games, and he did really well in the first series.  I don't like that Adams got fleeced, either, but Hall was fine once he moved on.

Some people avoid the facts to pursue their smearing narrative. Hall mostly played under the disastrous coaching of Krueger. Once he was liberated from that foolishness he became productive. He wasn't the only player who was handcuffed by the former coach. I'm confident that Dahlin, Mitts and others are not going to offer testimonials about his stultifying coaching philosophy. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, kas23 said:

Exactly why did we not go for Nedeljkovic? Not allowed to have nice things?

Do we know that the Sabres did not go for him?  I'm not aware of any information that says they didn't try.

13 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I believe the Coyotes just got Ladd and more and didn’t have to give anything up. 

Ladd doesn't actually play anymore right?

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Good organizations know how to handle the up/down cycle of their rosters. Young players get developed and older and declining players get replaced. It's likely there will be some slippage. But good organizations are aware of their current standing and the direction where the team is heading. Running a franchise is not a static endeavor. Constantly changing and adapting is part of the process. Boston has been good for a long time for a reason. Both the hockey and business side of the operation are well run. 

Buffalo has been stuck in the mud of mediocrity for a decade. The Boston franchise represents competency and stability while the Buffalo franchise represents instability and incompetence. There are obvious reasons why the Sabres are a mocked franchise. The reputation it has is the reputation it has earned. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Good organizations know how to handle the up/down cycle of their rosters. Young players get developed and older and declining players get replaced. It's likely there will be some slippage. But good organizations are aware of their current standing and the direction where the team is heading. Running a franchise is not a static endeavor. Constantly changing and adapting is part of the process. Boston has been good for a long time for a reason. Both the hockey and business side of the operation are well run. 

Buffalo has been stuck in the mud of mediocrity for a decade. The Boston franchise represents competency and stability while the Buffalo franchise represents instability and incompetence. There are obvious reasons why the Sabres are a mocked franchise. The reputation it has is the reputation it has earned. 

A bunch of their very good players are very old.  They are going to get worse.  The organization isn’t going to become a dumpster fire, but they won’t be contenders much longer.  I think is what everyone is saying.

To put it in your verbiage, they are about to be handling a down cycle.

Edited by Curt

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

A bunch of their very good players are very old.  They are going to get worse.  The organization isn’t going to become a dumpster fire, but they won’t be contenders much longer.  I think is what everyone is saying.

Boston could have reloaded in 2015 and been set for another long period of success. Instead they decided to be "smart" and drafted Zahcary Senyshyn over Matthew Barzal or Thomas Chabot. Boston since then has drafted like complete garbage (if I ignore their nice 2016 draft). In the last 3 years I think they have drafted 1 maybe 2 NHL players so if they do not turn that around quickly, they will slide into Sabres territory. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

As I said in the prior post there is a life cycle in a roster. That's an inescapable part of all pro sports, especially under a cap system. What Boston has demonstrated for a very long time is that they are capable of steadily adjusting their roster as time goes by. That's what well run organizations do. Boston will have some slippage but what they won't do is fall into the enduring abyss like the Sabres have been in for a decade. To their credit Boston is a model of consistency. And to their discredit Buffalo is also a model of consistency.  

36 minutes ago, Curt said:

A bunch of folks here have been predicting that for the last 7-8 seasons.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they made things work for another 7-8 seasons.  They know how to plug holes.

• Like (+1) 3

Wasn’t there a running thread of all of Adams transactions? Can’t seem to find it right now

EDIT: First post btw, been lingering for years. Lot of useful information, from Buffalo diehard Bills fan never gave the Sabres a chance until ~2017-2018 when I started following this site and this board has definitely helped learning the team and hockey much easier so props to all the active people here! 

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 5

Just going to drop this again since the page turned and am really looking for this thread.. Go ahead and delete if this is a no-no

Wasn’t there a running thread of all of Adams transactions? Can’t seem to find it right now

EDIT: Found it, in case anyone else is looking I added it. Thanks 🍻 

Edited by elijah
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

A bunch of folks here have been predicting that for the last 7-8 seasons.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they made things work for another 7-8 seasons.  They know how to plug holes.

The idea that you *have* to take a step back to get better/remain competitive is a Sabres misnomer

10 minutes ago, elijah said:

EDIT: First post btw, been lingering for years. Lot of useful information, from Buffalo diehard Bills fan never gave the Sabres a chance until ~2017-2018 when I started following this site and this board has definitely helped learning the team and hockey much easier so props to all the active people here! 

Welcome. 

Hopefully you bypassed the majority of the sucktitude 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Thorny said:

The idea that you *have* to take a step back to get better/remain competitive is a Sabres misnomer

What step back? We just finished dead last in the league, what are we gonna do? Finish 2nd to dead last in the league? Wow what a step...

goofy.jpg

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

This board was unanimously certain (with I as one of the loudest proponents) that Boston was on the downswing in the summer of 2015, and that the Sabres were in a much more desirable spot. Six years later...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

What step back? We just finished dead last in the league, what are we gonna do? Finish 2nd to dead last in the league? Wow what a step...

goofy.jpg

It's a bit of a strawman. Just because we finished last doesn't mean we can't move further away from contention. If we swap Eichel for picks, we've obviously done just that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.